Can the Bills survive if the Auto Industry fails?

DIE HARD 1967

Buffalo has well over 150,000 auto related jobs in the WNY area. This does not include over 70,000 retirees living in the area.

CNN reported today that banks have called in mortgages to all GM and Chrysler Dealerships .

The Bailout has failed in Congress.

What impact does this have on season ticket sales from an already angry fan base?

If you are not paying attention to this issue, a real crisis may be on its way to Buffalo

Buffalo is ranked #3 as the most effected cities in America

Buffalo has well over 150,000 auto related jobs in the WNY area. This does not include over 70,000 retirees living in the area.

Can I ask for a general breakdown of the companies you are referring to with approximate numbers of employees? 150,000 WNY jobs related to the big 3 automakers seems awfully high.

I've herd it said that 1 in 7 jobs in the US is somehow related to the auto industry. If the industry fails, it will hurt WNY, but it will also hurt other NFL cities. Detroit (obviously) Jacksonville (where the retired workers go to die). Cleveland, Pittsburg, Indy, Baltimore, Green Bay, St. Louis, Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia, Northern Jersey are all in areas with GM suppliers/factories.

If the US auto industry fails, many teams will be in trouble. THe Bills may be in good shape because they do not rely as much on corporate support.

Can I ask for a general breakdown of the companies you are referring to with approximate numbers of employees? 150,000 WNY jobs related to the big 3 automakers seems awfully high.

It is very high..I would say around 6-7000 tops..Auto dealers, Gm plant, Ford stamping plant, Lockport Plant...I worked in the industry for 15 years in Buffalo..I got out around 3 years ago..I saw the writing on the wall and am glad I did..These companies need to go down, they need to start over. Their greed for years has finally caught up to them..They have earned this paychek...

It is very high..I would say around 6-7000 tops..Auto dealers, Gm plant, Ford stamping plant, Lockport Plant...I worked in the industry for 15 years in Buffalo..I got out around 3 years..I saw the writing on the wall and am glad I did..These companies need to go down, they need to start over. Their greed for years has finally caught up to them..They have earned this paychek...

6,000 I can see. 150,000? :wallbash: :wallbash:

CNN reported today that banks have called in mortgages to all GM and Chrysler Dealerships .

What impact does this have on season ticket sales from an already angry fan base?

If you are not paying attention to this issue, a real crisis may be on its way to Buffalo

Your estimate of 150,000 seems high. This downslide started years ago. It is time for WNY to wake up. Heavy industry is not the way of the future. Time to change the economy for the better. Blue collar jobs are stuck in the 1800's. Time for green or white collar jobs.

The auto industry failing is the first positive step to fix what is wrong with Buffalo/Niagara and that would be UNIONS! Union workers need to live day to day without a contract with a 401K instead of a pension like the rest of America.

The dealers(most) will still be around even if the industry goes bankrupt. It needs to either go bankrupt or have a severe restructuring of salaries. If the UAW stays stubborn then the industry will fail. In fact its already failing cuz they have greater costs per employee than the Jap. co.s

Buffalos plants will still produce but at lesser capacity---which is what is happening anyway and which has been happening for the past 30 yrs.

I see it costing 5000 jobs in WNY max.

I've herd it said that 1 in 7 jobs in the US is somehow related to the auto industry. If the industry fails, it will hurt WNY, but it will also hurt other NFL cities. Detroit (obviously) Jacksonville (where the retired workers go to die). Cleveland, Pittsburg, Indy, Baltimore, Green Bay, St. Louis, Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia, Northern Jersey are all in areas with GM suppliers/factories.

If the US auto industry fails, many teams will be in trouble. THe Bills may be in good shape because they do not rely as much on corporate support.

The Lions may move to some city that loses a contest.

The auto industry failing is the first positive step to fix what is wrong with Buffalo/Niagara and that would be UNIONS! Union workers need to live day to day without a contract with a 401K instead of a pension like the rest of America.

Couldn't agree more, and i was in a union myself.

If the bailout doesn't go through, that doesn't mean the Big Three will go out of business. They will go into Chapter 3 and reorganize, which would indeed mean lots of jobs lost. It would also raise a realistic possibility of an eventual recovery of the industry. Huge changes are needed. And I don't see them happening unless these companies are reorganized.

I wouldn't expect the Bills to be so effected that they would have to leave, though they would certainly take a hit if the region does.

If the bailout doesn't go through, that doesn't mean the Big Three will go out of business. They will go into Chapter 3 and reorganize, which would indeed mean lots of jobs lost. It would also raise a realistic possibility of an eventual recovery of the industry. Huge changes are needed. And I don't see them happening unless these companies are reorganized.

I wouldn't expect the Bills to be so effected that they would have to leave, though they would certainly take a hit if the region does.

Chapter 3? (EDIT: Later in the day, with more rest...did you mean Chapter 13? That's for folks like you and me. The auto companies have to go through Chapter 11.)

When it comes to that auto industry in WNY, I dont really look at the Buffalo Bills, I look at all the hard working men & women who wont have a job to support their families this holiday season.....At that point the Buffalo Bills take a back seat to what happens in the real world of things....

When it comes to that auto industry in WNY, I dont really look at the Buffalo Bills, I look at all the hard working men & women who wont have a job to support their families this holiday season.....At that point the Buffalo Bills take a back seat to what happens in the real world of things....

Amen.