Looks like JP to get another start this week

zow2

Edwards' slump is similar to what Jason Campbell in Washington is going through. He had a really good first 6 games or so and then the league caught up with him. For Edwards though it's misleading. He wasn't all that great in his first six games. He actually stunk in the first half vs. Seattle and Oakland and then came back to have great 3rd and 4th Qtrs. He sorta did the same thing vs. Cleveland (stunk the first 3 and had a great 4th qtr). Against SF, i was hoping he got the chance to get into the groove in the 2nd half but he was out of the game by then. I'm HOPING his groin really is the culprit. I did notice that after Arizona, he would stare at the pass rush coming at him more than scan downfield for the open receiver. HE started to get gun shy and happy feet instead of calmly reading the defense and using his instincts to avoid pressure. If TE can't get over that,,,,he's not gonna make it in the NFL.

I won't answer for the Doc, but for me I would say that Edwards' regression was one part sophomore slump, one part improved opposition (who had more film on him as well), and one part bad coaching. He is young, and can improve, but he will have to work through it, which is why I find this injury problem so worrisome, because it will delay that learning process.

My own opinion is that Trent's inexperience was taken advantage of by opposing defenses with coaching staffs more prepared than ours. Our offense never had any real answers to the 3-4 defense - particularly the "3" part - and it didn't help to have Trent's bailout WR, Reed, injured during the losing streak. Bottom line is this: our coaching staff is too afraid to occasionally throw deep and too clever for their own good to run the ball in obvious run situations.

I won't answer for the Doc, but for me I would say that Edwards' regression was one part sophomore slump, one part improved opposition (who had more film on him as well), and one part bad coaching. He is young, and can improve, but he will have to work through it, which is why I find this injury problem so worrisome, because it will delay that learning process.

Why waste the time on a guy who can't play for a good portion of the season?

Since week four last season, once he became the undisputed starter on this team, Edwards has missed (including this next game) 7.5 games out of a possible 27 played. He's missed 27.7% of the games. Projected over a 16 game season he'd be missing over a quarter of it. I haven't looked at the NFL average, but I don't see why you make a guy the undisputed franchise QB and the leader of a Pro Football team if he's cheering from a whirlpool, a neck brace, and/or a pair of crutches for 25% of your season.

Can we expect a slight regression every time he misses a couple of games with a boo-boo? Does he need a mini pre-season every time he gets injured, which looks like it's going to be quite a bit? He already has a hard time playing in inclement weather, which is another 25% of the season. Should we hope he get's injured and misses the four games in December every year? Maybe we're just not supposed to think about it.

Why waste the time on a guy who can't play for a good portion of the season?

Since week four last season, once he became the undisputed starter on this team, Edwards has missed (including this next game) 7.5 games out of a possible 27 played. He's missed 27.7% of the games. Projected over a 16 game season he'd be missing over a quarter of it. I haven't looked at the NFL average, but I don't see why you make a guy the undisputed franchise QB and the leader of a Pro Football team if he's cheering from a whirlpool, a neck brace, and/or a pair of crutches for 25% of your season.

Can we expect a slight regression every time he misses a couple of games with a boo-boo? Does he need a mini pre-season every time he gets injured, which looks like it's going to be quite a bit? He already has a hard time playing in inclement weather, which is another 25% of the season. Should we hope he get's injured and misses the four games in December every year? Maybe we're just not supposed to think about it.

Those are excellent questions, Johnny. I want Edwards to succeed (he is the QB for the only football team I care about) but he has missed games in each of the past two years with injuries. His durability will remain a question until he can stay on the field. At the same time, though, I am not prepared to dismiss his successes as meaningless, and think he does have an upside greater than JP, whose deficiencies are manifest.

He sorta did the same thing vs. Cleveland (stunk the first 3 and had a great 4th qtr).

if by 'great 4th quarter' you mean "throw crappy screen/dump passes to the RBs and complete his first nice pass of the game to robert royal' then you're correct.

Because the coaches are stupid. Right now, Hamdan may well be the best QB on our roster.

Seriously. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that Hamdan at QB, Fred Jackson at WR, and Steve Johnson at #2 WR could be better than any other combo we have--unfortunately, none of those guys will ever get a chance to prove that's the case.

I'll add one more thing that I can't prove, but strongly suspect; the receivers are not getting open enough. Yeah, I know that from time to time they'll show a clip of Evans or Parrish standing all by his lonesome, flapping his arms like a lunatic while the QB looks blissfully elsewhere. But those are few and far between.

However.....

Without having the luxury of being able to watch recorded games and follow the receivers around, I have to believe that at least part of the problem is that they aren't getting open enough for the QB to pull the trigger. Evans in particular and Reed being the exception. If there ever was a time for Evans to turn on the afterburners, it was the last game with JP at QB. Evans is/was JP's bread and butter. Pfffft.

And thanks for not answering for me! Some other posters on TSW would do well to adopt those manners.

What's remarkable is how in that Niners game, we had the ball, little under 2 minutes to go, down by a TD against one of the worst defenses in the league, and my guess is that everyone (myself included) knew that JP was going to commit a series of blunders, giving us no chance to win.

What's weird is that JP has seemed to seriously regress.

I hear ya. Trent played so phenomenal in the first half of the 49ers game.

what a waste. this game won't even be worth watching unless you find humor in embarrassment.

This reminds me of the old expression of watching a train wreck, you see something awful about to happen but you cant help yourself and you keep watching even though you wish you didnt. Thats the bills.

at least play hamdan. Losman is as good as gone see what hamdan can do.

Edwards' slump is similar to what Jason Campbell in Washington is going through. He had a really good first 6 games or so and then the league caught up with him. For Edwards though it's misleading. He wasn't all that great in his first six games. He actually stunk in the first half vs. Seattle and Oakland and then came back to have great 3rd and 4th Qtrs. He sorta did the same thing vs. Cleveland (stunk the first 3 and had a great 4th qtr). Against SF, i was hoping he got the chance to get into the groove in the 2nd half but he was out of the game by then. I'm HOPING his groin really is the culprit. I did notice that after Arizona, he would stare at the pass rush coming at him more than scan downfield for the open receiver. HE started to get gun shy and happy feet instead of calmly reading the defense and using his instincts to avoid pressure. If TE can't get over that,,,,he's not gonna make it in the NFL.

How can his performance be misleading because he came back from behind in the second half of games producing overall good numbers?

Like I've stated on other threads,the bills could put a helmet on a frog and send him in to play and Turk"shotgun"Schonert would try and make it throw out of the shotgun every play.

He will do to the same thing with JP Losman! If the Bills win the game it will because JP plays above his head and makes some incredible plays,doubtful tho.

This Bills OC thinks he has Drew Brees as his QB and will force him into passing situations he can't possibly complete. Naturally Schonert will forget he has two great backs and will abandon the run after the first few failed attempts. I just wish he would do that with the passing game instead of forcing the back up QB to try and win the game

Per the Buffalo News article, unless Edwards practices in full today, JP gets the start.

I'm going to try to keep my comments reasonable. It almost seems like unwatchable football when JP is in there though. I really don't enjoy the games nearly as much with him under center. If I'm the coaching staff, I pretty much try to bore everyone to death with handoffs to Lynch and Jackson all day. I'd call at least 4 or 5 designed QB draw plays where JP can just take off up the middle from the shotgun and get 7-10 yds. I'd call the obligatory 2 or 3 bombs to Evans just in case we get lucky and he has time to get them off. Stay away from too many long developing pass plays and don't allow him to throw ANYTHING down the middle of the field because he can't do it.

JP has not impressed me one iota in 10 quarters vs. Ariz, SF or Miami. I don't expect this week to be much different.

I would get give Hamden a try, JP is pathetic to watch.

I really do not think Hamdan could be worse than JP. JP is terrible. If the coaches are going to play him they need to give him the simplest of game plans. Let him throw to Lynch, throw WR screens and max protect on a few go routes. 5 years and he is still the same QB and maybe worse. He is a likeable guy who we all desperately wanted to succeed the way he embraced the team and town and all....but he is unwatchable.

Per the Buffalo News article, unless Edwards practices in full today, JP gets the start.

I'm going to try to keep my comments reasonable. It almost seems like unwatchable football when JP is in there though. I really don't enjoy the games nearly as much with him under center. If I'm the coaching staff, I pretty much try to bore everyone to death with handoffs to Lynch and Jackson all day. I'd call at least 4 or 5 designed QB draw plays where JP can just take off up the middle from the shotgun and get 7-10 yds. I'd call the obligatory 2 or 3 bombs to Evans just in case we get lucky and he has time to get them off. Stay away from too many long developing pass plays and don't allow him to throw ANYTHING down the middle of the field because he can't do it.

JP has not impressed me one iota in 10 quarters vs. Ariz, SF or Miami. I don't expect this week to be much different.

STARTING JP WILL INSURE US OF A BETTER DRAFT PICK.

I agree wholeheartedly. Hardy and Lynch ended promising first-quarter drives on dropped balls. Lynch dropped another later; as did Royal. One could even argue that Evans should have done a better job of "defending" on the poorly thrown fade in the endzone.

Those are good excuses. In Toronto, the weather was pretty rough as well.

JP may want Hamdan to play....each time JP plays there is even less of a chance anyone wants him next year. He is getting to the point where he will have to compete NOT for a starting job but for a 2nd or 3rd string job. He is that bad the past two games.