Will the Bills be here in 2008?

Rudyc80

After another bad season this year and probaly having around 40,000 for the rest of teh season at best...id have to say the franchise is in alot of trouble considering we will be bad next year and likely the year after that.

by the end of 2006 Ralph or god forbid his daughter will look into moving the team to LA by 2008!

After another bad season this year and probaly having around 40,000 for the rest of teh season at best...id have to say the franchise is in alot of trouble considering we will be bad next year and likely the year after that.

by the end of 2006 Ralph or god forbid his daughter will look into moving the team to LA by 2008!

88381[/snapback]

Don't you ever annoy yourself with this doooomsday stuff?

Rudy, we have had TONS of bad seasons. Once JP comes in, ticket sales will grow. Don't worry brother. It'll be ok.

The Bills future in Buffalo is in doubt regardless their record. People here think putting puffy cheeks in seats is an important reason for a team's existance. Not true. Television market size is far more important, so is corporate sponsorhip. Like the Bills play this year, Buffalo is near the bottom of the standings in both these categories. Put a winning team on the field and a team will sell out anywhere. The Bills fate in Buffalo rests solely on Ralph Wilson's longevity and the wishful thinking that someone, somewhere will come forward with the $500+ million needed to buy the team upon his death. This individual must also have a strong enough allegience to keep the team in WNY. That's a huge longshot. Please don't start the "let's all chip in and buy them" chant. Teams can't be owned by the public. The NFL charter saw to it that Green Bay was the last franchise to have that option.

Don't  you ever annoy yourself with this doooomsday stuff?

Rudy, we have had TONS of bad seasons. Once JP comes in, ticket sales will grow. Don't worry brother. It'll be ok.

88401[/snapback]

It is scary Steve. If the Bills leave, I will have zero interest in pro sports, and I dont want this to happen.

The Bills future in Buffalo is in doubt regardless their record.  People here think putting puffy cheeks in seats is an important reason for a team's existance.  Not true.  Television market size is far more important, so is corporate sponsorhip.  Like the Bills play this year, Buffalo is near the bottom of the standings in both these categories.  Put a winning team on the field and a team will sell out anywhere.  The Bills fate in Buffalo rests solely on Ralph Wilson's longevity and the wishful thinking that someone, somewhere will come forward with the $500+ million needed to buy the team upon his death. This individual must also have a strong enough allegience to keep the team in WNY.  That's a huge longshot.  Please don't start the "let's all chip in and buy them" chant.  Teams can't be owned by the public.  The NFL charter saw to it that Green Bay was the last franchise to have that option.

88417[/snapback]

You seem to know about this topic, so let me ask you the following...

Do you think that the number of "out of town fans" matters at all? Look at this board. There are posters (and who knows how many lurkers) from around the world! I am willing to bet that virtually all of us purchase many items withthe logo.

Also, do you think that politicians would get involved? I have been to RWS for 10 consecutive years and from what I can tell, the Bills are a vital part of the economy, not that I am an expert.

In all, I am just not convinced that the Bills will abandon us.

Rudy you remind me of a non trusting wife/girlfriend sometimes, only they can make the kind of mental leap you are making right now. For example....

Say you tell your wife/girlfriend you will fix the closet or something, you forget to do so. They then say you lied about not fixing the closet and that if you could lie about that you could lie about anything.

Sometimes A can lead to B, but I certainly never saw A lead to Z. For the sake of humanity please never go into the fortune telling business.

Just a couple of more posts, Rudy, and I'll have your medication schedule down cold.

So far I have the following:

1 pill Monday morning, but nothing the rest of the day.

1 pill Tuesday morning, one Tuesday afternoon, nothing at night.

No pills on Wednesday.

I'll fill in the blanks by Sunday.

First off, :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Rudy.

Second to those who think Buffalo can't compete-

Ranking of NFL Teams Value

We rank above the 49ers, Saints, Raiders, Chargers, Colts, Vikings, Falcons, and Cardinals in terms of value. Only an idiot business man would move the team to LA, who has YET to fully support an NFL team, out of Buffalo.

The Bills future in Buffalo is in doubt regardless their record.  People here think putting puffy cheeks in seats is an important reason for a team's existance.  Not true.  Television market size is far more important, so is corporate sponsorhip.  Like the Bills play this year, Buffalo is near the bottom of the standings in both these categories.  Put a winning team on the field and a team will sell out anywhere.  The Bills fate in Buffalo rests solely on Ralph Wilson's longevity and the wishful thinking that someone, somewhere will come forward with the $500+ million needed to buy the team upon his death. This individual must also have a strong enough allegience to keep the team in WNY.  That's a huge longshot.  Please don't start the "let's all chip in and buy them" chant.  Teams can't be owned by the public.  The NFL charter saw to it that Green Bay was the last franchise to have that option.

88417[/snapback]

Ding, thanks for playing! You see with revenue sharing and a cap, all teams are guaranteed to make a profit (well, except for the Cardinals of course!). So that's a non-issue. Second of all, the only market the NFL is trying to fill is the LA market, and odds are that when Ralph passes (and he's in good health), it will have been filled by an already-existing franchise, since expansion would require 4 more teams to make for even divisions. So that's not a concern. Last of all, there are several guys with local ties who hafe shown interest in the Bills. One is Tom Golisano, who I've mentioned before. You know, the guy who founded Paychex, bought the Sabres as a trial run for the NFL, and has close ties to the Wilsons? Then there are guys like Jacobs, Wegmans, and maybe even Buffett (this I'd say is the "huge longshot," but he's 4th on the list), who have the money and have shown some interest in the Bills. But my money is on Golisano.

We have a post like this at least once a month. I'm sick of posting all my reasons why they might stay or leave etc. I'm sure that there are several others here that agree. Maybe the regulars could all come up with a collective board post that we could put up everytime this issue arises? Let's dig up our old ones and cut and paste- something covering regionalism, the Jacobs and the alternative cities/markets and so forth.

I was very fearful of the Bills leaving, but that was about 5 years ago. Not anymore. For a variety of reasons.

---------------

Go Bills

You seem to know about this topic, so let me ask you the following...

Do you think that the number of "out of town fans" matters at all? Look at this board. There are posters (and who knows how many lurkers) from around the world! I am willing to bet that virtually all of us purchase many items withthe logo.

Also, do you think that politicians would get involved? I have been to RWS for 10 consecutive years and from what I can tell, the Bills are a vital part of the economy, not that I am an expert.

In all, I am just not convinced that the Bills will abandon us.

88443[/snapback]

Bill, I'd be as devasted as you if the Bills left Buffalo, but I don't hold much hope for tem keeping the team long term. Buffalo was VERY lucky to keep the Sabres. We're talking an order of magntude more buckaroos to keep the Bills. Hope and pray, but don't be crushed if the Bills chuck wagons start circling in another city.

Regarding fans all over the world - I think you need to do a Google search and find other team's boards. EVERY team has fans all over the world. I exchange e-mail with a Swede who visits Pittsburgh every year just to see one Steeler game.

Look at mass merchandising and the Bills rank near the bottom in volume sold. Admittedly the Super Bowl years were an exception, but that was a special team. FA and the salary cap have eliminated the possibility for a team like that from happening again (yeah yeah screw the Pats).

Regarding the poiliticians - sure they'll do what they can to save the Bills, but what hope do you have that can make a difference? Buffalo has been nearly bankrupt for 30 years and has one of the highest combined tax rates in the US. What financial incentives could they possibly come up with to help keep a footbal team when when they can't even come up with funds to pay for routine societal services?

We have a post like this at least once a month. I'm sick of posting all my reasons why they might stay or leave etc. I'm sure that there are several others here that agree. Maybe the regulars could all come up with a collective board post that we could put up everytime this issue arises? Let's dig up our old ones and cut and paste- something covering regionalism, the Jacobs and the alternative cities/markets and so forth. 

I was very fearful of the Bills leaving, but that was about 5 years ago.  Not anymore. For a variety of reasons.

---------------

Go Bills

88478[/snapback]

I've been told the Bills are leaving every year since 1984. Funny that Ralph decided to stay in Buffalo. Could it be that he has stated that as long as he ownes the team they are going nowhere so for get LA. Also Galisano has stated that he wants the Bills after Ralph but people ignore these facts and the doom and gloomer post at least one of these per week. In fact someone did it yesterday too. Why would you be so dumb to take a chance on support in a new city when you have the best fan base in WNY. I don't see it happening but again why do you guys answer this moron

The Bills future in Buffalo is in doubt regardless their record. 

88417[/snapback]

I respond to this guest's quote about TV markets despite his anonymity because though he gets the particulars of the import of big markets and TV wrong in terms of his conclusion he does raise a vaild point. TV money does rule the NFL as what was once a sport that happened to be a business (when it was the primary or an important part of the wealth of the Rooneys, Halas , etc and others who ran the NFL, now it is a business that happens to be a sport and football wealth is merely a part of the wealth of new entrants such as the Snyders, and even old standbys who have made far more from the investment of their wealth than they do from the chubby cheeked folks who fill the football seats.

Still if it is all so simple and straightforward as he theorizes then has many correctly point out why has the NFL passed up so many opportunities to get a team into LA as they have added new teams several times and new owners more than that. Mor importantly, why on earth would they plunk one of the new teams in a dying NE city like Cleveland instead of going west to the unfilled media markets or to the big computer bucks there.

Part of the answer is the antitrust laws which baseball as some exemption from but football doesn't and remains free from meeting the requirements of this law as the NFL and NFLPA collude to avoid the free-market because there is alot more money to be made on their part by contolling the market and not investing in free trade.

As long as the boat isn't rocked, then this gentleman's agreement can go on.Modell rocked the boat bigtime when he moved to Baltimore, but because he was in the club and moving to a former NFL town he could not be stopped. Cleveland made the real threat to push an antitrust suit which would bring the NFL/NFLPA deal and other transgressions against thre free market and American rights of individuals to the fore in terms of judicial scrutiny.

If the Bills were to move, the NFL would once again face this threat and my bet is that just as the new partnership caved in the face of Cleveland's threat because there was more money to be made by gurfanteeing this city the next expansion team and also just as the owners caved after killing the union leadership in the mid 80s strike, so to are they likely to cave if Buffalo mounted a suit unless the NFL satisfied the region.

The Golisano, Jacobs folks et al. will need to fund a suit (a cheap prospect ccompared to butimg a team) and once having won that can then move on to fund a team with little competition driving up their costs for it.

The Bills may move as anything can happen, but the reality of the current reality makes this unlikely even when Ralph dies. It won't be easy but this easily can be done if a few folks step to the plate and it looks like afew folks with the bucks will be around to do this.

88381[/snapback]

A convincing case for chemical castration.