Maybe it's just me

BeastMode54

I think our defense plays very hard, and keeps us in games. Except for the Arizona game, we have shown a pretty formidable defense. I think we are one OLB and one DE pass rusher from being an elite unit. Offense, on the other hand, is a mess

Our defense is good. Our offense is abysmal.

Agree. Don't know if Bowen/Crowell/Ellison gives us anything at LB for 2009, or whether Chris Ellis gives us anything at DE. Given the sorry state of affairs, our draft and FA acquisitions will mainly be offensive-minded, but I'd still love to see a DE in Round 1.

agreed, losing back-to-back games 10-3 and 16-3, you cant say the defense didnt hold them close throughout the game.

FOUR FIELD GOALS wouldve won the 49ers game and our O couldnt make it happen.

this goes back to not too long ago when our entire season was 14-3 losses.

This is the softest defense I have ever seen in Buffalo. How the f could you like it?

We're the 11 overall rated defense in the league. I wouldn't call that soft. I we could get some pressure on the QB we have playmakers in the secondary to turn INT"s into TD's

This is the softest defense I have ever seen in Buffalo. How the f could you like it?

If by soft you mean we do'nt generate any QB sacks, then I'd say you are right. But our defense overall has played very hard and has only been dominated once all season.

The Buffalo Bills have the 11th ranked defense, but that is deceiving. The team has only 22 sacks, only 7 int's, opposing teams have a 85.6 passer rating, only 6 fumble recoveries, and giving up 5.2 yards per play. I don't know about you, but that sucks to me.

How many TD's have they given up as opposed to FG's?

Agree. Don't know if Bowen/Crowell/Ellison gives us anything at LB for 2009, or whether Chris Ellis gives us anything at DE. Given the sorry state of affairs, our draft and FA acquisitions will mainly be offensive-minded, but I'd still love to see a DE in Round 1.

I agree. Our defense has played hard and kept us in games but we need a solid DE hopefully in round one in the draft or FA.

The Buffalo Bills have the 11th ranked defense, but that is deceiving. The team has only 22 sacks, only 7 int's, opposing teams have a 85.6 passer rating, only 6 fumble recoveries, and giving up 5.2 yards per play. I don't know about you, but that sucks to me.

Last years defense was much softer than this years. Only 11 teams have given up less points than ours. That's good enough to make the playoffs with any kind of a half way proficient offense.

I think our defense is good. Not great, but pretty darn good. If we add a few more Mitchell/Stroud quality type players, we'll be OK.

If we could dig up an offense (real QB) somewhere, we'd have a good team.

We're the 11 overall rated defense in the league. I wouldn't call that soft. I we could get some pressure on the QB we have playmakers in the secondary to turn INT"s into TD's

I don't know how we're doing it without a pass rush, but yeah, the D has been solid.

And I don't really mind if Ellison is a starter next year. IMO he's better at what he does than Kelsay, Denney, Simpson, Royal or Preston are at what they do.

The only stat that counts is points. Our D is good at limiting points, as we have a tendency to tighten up in the red zone. Our D isn't spectacular but it's certainly been playing well enough that we would be 8-5 at the least with a semi-competent offense.

How can you like a defense that doesn't make plays?

I'd rather let another team drive 60 yards and then force a turnover then have them drive 25 to kick a field goal.

They aren't the "problem" per se, but they don't make many momentum changing plays, and have a very hard time getting off the field late in games when you know the other team is going to try to run on them.

How can you like a defense that doesn't make plays?

I'd rather let another team drive 60 yards and then force a turnover then have them drive 25 to kick a field goal.

They aren't the "problem" per se, but they don't make many momentum changing plays, and have a very hard time getting off the field late in games when you know the other team is going to try to run on them.

Everyone seems to agree the defense could use a talent upgrade at a couple key positions, most importantly at DE and LB. But I’ve never questioned their effort. If you give up less than 17 points you should win most of those games. If the pass rush was just average this defense would be generating more turnovers and big plays. Most Sunday’s the opposing QB could be wearing a white tuxedo and not have to worry about the dry cleaning bill on Monday. Give almost any QB that much time and he’ll pick about a secondary.

The offense on the other hand, specifically the O-Line just doesn’t seem to make any effort or have fire in their guts. With a couple exceptions these guys have played like slackers this year. Every game I see the graphic about the Bills having one of the ‘biggest’ offensive lines in the league, maybe the biggest. Unfortunately big without athleticism, smarts, strength, and a SOB mean streak doesn’t cut it in the NFL. This O-line should be knocking the snot out of D-lines if only they’d show some passion and fire. Some would argue this is a reflection of the coach but that’s another long painful subject.