Where is the TALENT on this team?

LabattBlue

Disclaimer...This is not a post defending that idiot Jauron! :lol:

Since the beginning of the season, I have read numerous times that the Bills are a talented team. Could someone identify who the talented players are, that are at a Pro Bowl level or even better...an All-Pro level? Where are the impact players on either side of the ball?

Whitner made another BIG tackle...in the END ZONE! That is my hope for building the defense around?

Lynch when playing a good defense went back to doing nothing running the ball and showed why Fred Jackson should be in there on passing downs.

Our two staples on special teams over the last few years(Lindell & Moorman) have been very average this year.

Where are the young prospects on the bench who within a year or two are going to bust out? DiGiorgio, Costanzo, Chambers, Ellis, Hardy, Shouman, Fine???

What happened to the "we are set at safety for the next 10 years" folks?

Fire Jauron, but keep promoting Modrak, Guy & Brandon and see where it gets you.

PS I'm surprised this morning that I even have the fire to type this as watching the Bills has become comical and I find myself not even getting upset after a loss.

The Bills have talent on ST's and defense, and despite the injuries and a lack of a pass rush, they're playing very well and keeping the Bills in the games. Where there's a lack of talent, on the coaching side, is on offense.

The Bills have talent on ST's and defense, and despite the injuries and a lack of a pass rush, they're playing very well and keeping the Bills in the games. Where there's a lack of talent, on the coaching side, is on offense.

I disagree the defense has mediocre talen at best outside of Polinski (sp) Whitner and Stroud the rest of the defensive core could be upgraded.

There has been three problems with this offense for year NO CENTER, NO TE and NO #1 receiver. No Lee evans is not a number one reciever he is a great Number 2 but in no way shape or form is he a number one nor is he worth 9 mil a year. :lol:

I disagree the defense has mediocre talen at best outside of Polinski (sp) Whitner and Stroud the rest of the defensive core could be upgraded.

Polinski? ;)

Again despite missing Schobel (who took the only semblance of a pass rush with him) for 8 games and not having Crowell, the Bills' defense has given-up 21.2 PPG, good for 12th fewest in the NFL. Would I like to see better DE's and another starting LB'er over Ellison? Sure. But the defense isn't the reason the team is losing games.

There has been three problems with this offense for year NO CENTER, NO TE and NO #1 receiver. No Lee evans is not a number one reciever he is a great Number 2 but in no way shape or form is he a number one nor is he worth 9 mil a year. :lol:

I agree, although with a threat at #2, Evans would be a true #1 WR. And they need a new (and real) OC.

We have a lot more talent than you give us credit for. A defense without real talent can't keep you in games. We have a major deficiency in rushing the passer, but there is more to a defense than that alone or we'd be getting torched each week.

the problem is the offense and, personally, I believe the problem has a lot more to do with inexperience and coaching than just talent.

There is enough Talent on this team...Is it the most talented Team in The NFL? Not by a long, long shot...But neither is Miami or Atlanta...This Team was 5-1 with it's talent as is...They beat Teams that beat the Patsies, the Jets, the Broncos, and The Cowboys to name a few...This is The NFL...There is only one Bye week...

While The Bills talent level clearly needs to improve it's simply no excuse for these last 6 losses...A decent Coaching staff would have, at very least, figured out a way to go 3-3 in those 6 games and the Bills would be 9-4 right now...That would give them 1st Place in The AFC East... :lol:

I think Guy has been asleep at the wheel, not just for what FA's he's brought in, but who he missed and even worse who we retained. When's the last time we were credited with that 'sleeper' FA signing? I don't know where Guy's oversight ends and Jauron's begins, Jauron's ends and Modrak, Brandon, take over, etc... But there's a darned good chance that Modrak didn't get dumber, perhaps he's handcuffed (or blocked) by the others in the room. The draft has restocked this team with solid, but unspectacular players.

I don't think the cupboard is completely bare, I feel a helluva lot better than during the Holcomb era. There are building blocks in place, I still like ML, (I believe there are too many calls that play to the OL's weaknesses...) The OL has a good LT that is locked up for another 3 years, a fairly good set of guards an a fat mess at RT. Who is available as a FA for a center? Trent still looks like damaged goods since AZ, but Losman is a solid reminder of what a 2yr quarterback (hell, a 5 yr qb) often looks like. With smarter play calling, I think he is more than serviceable. I think there's potential for 'goodness' still. Stroud probably has 4 yrs left, Poz is as overrated as they get, but quick and tenacious, Crowell will be an upgrade over Ellison if he is retained, Schobel is a very expensive 'situational' player, but still good as what he does well. The DE's are either too small or slow and expensive and never require double teaming. Perhaps Schobel would be effective as a situational speed rushing compliment. 3-4 would require guys at least 20 lbs heavier, so either way DE is in need of some help- how good would a guy like Tuck look in a Bill's uniform? Yabouty is showing enough physicality to make up for what I think is average cover skills. McKelvin is a physical specimen, Safety? They can hit, but...

I really think this team is where they were in say... 1987. I'm not as anti Jauron as many, I think the Bills would benefit most from an old school, badass GM that can evaluate talent and delegate effectively to a competent staff.

Take a look at where the majority of Bills opponents are ranked in terms of point scored...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-n=1

New England 16th

San Francisco 19th

Miami 23rd

Jacksonville 24th

Seattle 25th

Kansas City 26th

Cleveland 27th

Oakland 30th

St. Louis 31st

That's 10 of the 14 games the team has played. It's all smoke and mirrors. Lets' see what happens when next years schedule gets much more difficult!

You can have all the talent in the world on a team but if you don't have a coaching staff to put it together then they will suck as a team. The Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots all have better records but do you think they are more talented then the Bills? I personally don't think they are so that leaves coaching to blame.

You can have all the talent in the world on a team but if you don't have a coaching staff to put it together then they will suck as a team. The Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots all have better records but do you think they are more talented then the Bills? I personally don't think they are so that leaves coaching to blame.

Any NFL GM will tell You the difference in Talent between the best Team and the worst Team in the League is MUCH smaller than the average Fan believes...The biggest difference is at The QB Position usually...And even that can be deceiving...Does anyone actually think that Kurt Warner suddenly became a better QB this Year?

It takes Coaching and the ability to adjust to the talent level you have...DJ went 5-1 with basically the same talent he had when he went 1-6...All of these 6 losses were winable games...The Bills were not blown out of a single one! Jauron and Company simply cannot come up with any answers and because of that these same Players that were making Plays the 1st 6 weeks look lost these last 7 weeks...Jauron and Co. could not adjust when their opponents did...They failed miserably...If they had only gone 3-4 in these last 7 weeks look at where they would be right now! That's why I blame Dead Dick more than anyone...He was handed The Playoffs on a silver platter and he puked all over it... :lol:

Any NFL GM will tell You the difference in Talent between the best Team and the worst Team in the League is MUCH smaller than the average Fan believes...The biggest difference is at The QB Position usually...And even that can be deceiving...Does anyone actually think that Kurt Warner suddenly became a better QB this Year?

It takes Coaching and the ability to adjust to the talent level you have...DJ went 5-1 with basically the same talent he had when he went 1-6...All of these 6 losses were winable games...The Bills were not blown out of a single one! Jauron and Company simply cannot come up with any answers and because of that these same Players that were making Plays the 1st 6 weeks look lost these last 7 weeks...Jauron and Co. could not adjust when their opponents did...They failed miserably...If they had only gone 3-4 in these last 7 weeks look at where they would be right now! That's why I blame Dead Dick more than anyone...He was handed The Playoffs on a silver platter and he puked all over it... B-)

excellent post, I agree completely. One crystal clear example of how the talent excuse is overplayed is San Diego - the media for years has said that they are the most talented team in the league - this year they stink. The players didn't become worse. Other teams adjust to what you do, so you better too or you'll lose and be out of a job. See also Green Bay and Jacksonville. Some teams truly have major talent problems in certain areas - the Lions' secondary is atrocious, the Broncos' defensive line is embarrassing, Seattle has no wide receivers. We have no talent problem comparable to those.

It takes Coaching and the ability to adjust to the talent level you have...DJ went 5-1 with basically the same talent he had when he went 1-6...All of these 6 losses were winable games...The Bills were not blown out of a single one! Jauron and Company simply cannot come up with any answers and because of that these same Players that were making Plays the 1st 6 weeks look lost these last 7 weeks...Jauron and Co. could not adjust when their opponents did...They failed miserably...If they had only gone 3-4 in these last 7 weeks look at where they would be right now! That's why I blame Dead Dick more than anyone...He was handed The Playoffs on a silver platter and he puked all over it... B-)

Exactly! Anyone think that if New England had 1st and Goal from the 6 yard line, that they'd call for a jump ball in the corner to Wes Welker? I don't.

excellent post, I agree completely. One crystal clear example of how the talent excuse is overplayed is San Diego - the media for years has said that they are the most talented team in the league - this year they stink. The players didn't become worse. Other teams adjust to what you do, so you better too or you'll lose and be out of a job. See also Green Bay and Jacksonville. Some teams truly have major talent problems in certain areas - the Lions' secondary is atrocious, the Broncos' defensive line is embarrassing, Seattle has no wide receivers. We have no talent problem comparable to those.

Well, Gates, Tomlinson, and Merriman--three of their four best players--are worse this year ...

We have some talent. We don't have an explosive type gamebreakers. The guys with gamebreaking talent on this team are Whitner, McKelvin, Youboty, Hardy, Lynch, Peters, and Evans.

Whitner: used improperly, should be down in the box on nearly every play.

McKelvin: rookie, has great speed, ball skills and SWAGGER, which is sorely lacking on this team. Needs to develop the mental side of his game more.

Youboty: similar to McKelvin, showed glimpses of his ability early this year but has been hurt since Week 3.

Hardy: rookie WR - needs to adjust to the NFL

Lynch: Marion Barber type, needs to realize that he is not a HR hitter.

Evans: great speed, great hands, needs to be a better route runner. Needs to be targeted more. No other serious receiving threats on this team right now

Peters: size, speed, lacks mental toughness and has poor work habits.

Thats six guys who have the ABILITY to be one of the best at their position if they realized their potential.

Not much else though.