UB v. Ball State

Fewell733

I love it. I've been following this team pretty close this season and I couldn't watch the game (at a bar with no tvs), but I kept getting updates on the game and I couldn't believe it. With the Vegas spread being so high, I was convinced it would be an extremely tough task to beat these guys and we did it. I officially love Turner Gill.

I remember telling some people that Drew Willy has a really good chance of being drafted and someone told me the quarterback (who plays for Ball State) was SO far ahead of Willy and would be drafted first.

Now what? He's got the size, the arm, and some good coaching....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it. I've been following this team pretty close this season and I couldn't watch the game (at a bar with no tvs), but I kept getting updates on the game and I couldn't believe it. With the Vegas spread being so high, I was convinced it would be an extremely tough task to beat these guys and we did it. I officially love Turner Gill.

I remember telling some people that Drew Willy has a really good chance of being drafted and someone told me the quarterback (who plays for Ball State) was SO far ahead of Willy and would be drafted first.

Now what? He's got the size, the arm, and some good coaching....

You were following them closely this season, but you go to a bar without TVs during the Championship game???? What is wrong with you????????

What a great feeling to watch a team from Buffalo win a Championship game! The word class has been used a lot to describe Gill, his coaching staff, and these players. It's definitely something that I saw in this team as I watched the Bulls for the first time last night. They ran into a little adversity early in the game but stuck together, worked hard, and came out with the win. What a great job by Gill, his assistant's, and of course the dedicated players. We're talkin' proud baby! :P

The UB football program is truly a classy one.

As seen on ESPN.com, a quote from UB athletic director Warde Manuel:

"The president and I have decided that the 1958 team will have a bowl experience, and they will be coming with us and we will have them with us, as many of them that want to come, to Toronto for the International Bowl," Manuel said. "They're a part of it. It's great to do it on the 50th anniversary and we look forward to them finally having, after 50 years, the bowl experience they rightly deserve."

I don't think there's any question about this one: :P:wacko::beer:

I forgot to post this little tidbit:

Back in the late 80s, Turner Gill was a shortstop for a couple of years in the Cleveland Indians organization. He made it as high as Class AA before deciding to hang it up.

Another reason to like the man. :P

Amazing since they were the second worst team in Division 1 (something like #255) before he came.

#255 out of 119 D1 teams is pretty bad.

Had UB won last week against Kent State, they very may well have been ranked after this week.

That said, I didn't see last week's game but my guess is that they were prepping to play Ball State using Kent State as their testing grounds because Turner Gill's team played them perfectly.

No question UB was looking past KSU, though if Brett Hamlin doesn't fumble on the 1 yd line they would have beaten them. If you saw that game you could not believe this was the same UB defense that gave up 350 rushing yards to KSU. I think UB won tonight because last weeks loss reminded them they had to work to be a champion.

Do you think they can squeeze one more year out of Turner?

That's the big question, ain't it? It was reported Gill already interviewed with SU last weekend. But Warde Manual, UB's AD, said they will make Gill an offer to stay. (How about naming UB Stadium "Turner Gill Field"?) The press treats UB like someplace Gill is dying to leave, but I think Turner likes the school and the town. Seeing his tears made me feel like maybe he he'll stay a little longer.

PTR

What a great feeling to watch a team from Buffalo win a Championship game! The word class has been used a lot to describe Gill, his coaching staff, and these players. It's definitely something that I saw in this team as I watched the Bulls for the first time last night. They ran into a little adversity early in the game but stuck together, worked hard, and came out with the win. What a great job by Gill, his assistant's, and of course the dedicated players. We're talkin' proud baby! :)

Total agreement. U.B.'s D looked tough even when they didn't have those JUICEY turnovers to run back. I hear they are going to play UCONN in the International Bowl. I have a line on tickets through Da Big Joey D. Nice talking prouid reference :huh: U.B. should make sure they tie up Gill for seasons to come.

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.