Bills have become

BillsVet

In all probability, the Bills will finish the season with 9 consecutive seasons absent a playoff appearance.

Neither Buffalo nor Detroit has a NFL caliber HC. Jauron actually didn't get the permanent job in Detroit after Mariucci was fired. Marinelli was thereafter hired before 2006.

Both the Lions and Bills draft high, with Detroit consistently in the top 10 and Buffalo in the 8-15 range each year because both never improve record wise.

Like Detroit, Buffalo does not have a GM. Former Buffalo Bill Martin Mayhew is handling the GM role, and is currently the Senior Vice President. Our GM has been to the combine, and that's about it from a personnel standpoint.

Detroit and Buffalo are the only teams without a post-season appearance since the 20th century (Houston excluded). Detroit hasn't had a playoff game since 1999, when Buffalo last made the post-season.

Both teams have owners who will not make a change when the ship is sinking. It took William Clay Ford's son to publicly say if he was his father that he'd fire Millen. I don't see Russ Brandon do anything but play wet-nurse to Ralph.

I'll freely admit that Buffalo isn't as bad as Detroit, but at least the Lions are doing something. Teams can be turned around in a year. Just ask Atlanta, Miami, and Baltimore fans.

The question for Bills fans is: Would you rather have a perennially mediocre franchise or no franchise at all? That seems to be the path we're blazing in Buffalo. At least Detroit has more certainty their team will be around in five years. In that category, Detroit is far better than Buffalo.

In all probability, the Bills will finish the season with 9 consecutive seasons absent a playoff appearance.

Neither Buffalo nor Detroit has a NFL caliber HC. Jauron actually didn't get the permanent job in Detroit after Mariucci was fired. Marinelli was thereafter hired before 2006.

Both the Lions and Bills draft high, with Detroit consistently in the top 10 and Buffalo in the 8-15 range each year because both never improve record wise.

Like Detroit, Buffalo does not have a GM. Former Buffalo Bill Martin Mayhew is handling the GM role, and is currently the Senior Vice President. Our GM has been to the combine, and that's about it from a personnel standpoint.

Detroit and Buffalo are the only teams without a post-season appearance since the 20th century (Houston excluded). Detroit hasn't had a playoff game since 1999, when Buffalo last made the post-season.

Both teams have owners who will not make a change when the ship is sinking. It took William Clay Ford's son to publicly say if he was his father that he'd fire Millen. I don't see Russ Brandon do anything but play wet-nurse to Ralph.

I'll freely admit that Buffalo isn't as bad as Detroit, but at least the Lions are doing something. Teams can be turned around in a year. Just ask Atlanta, Miami, and Baltimore fans.

The question for Bills fans is: Would you rather have a perennially mediocre franchise or no franchise at all? That seems to be the path we're blazing in Buffalo. At least Detroit has more certainty their team will be around in five years. In that category, Detroit is far better than Buffalo.

Man who pissed in your cheerios this morning? Im pissed off two but at least buffalo has won a game this year

Man who pissed in your cheerios this morning? Im pissed off two but at least buffalo has won a game this year

I would rather be in the Bills position than that of the Lions, but the similarities are striking, as BV well illustrates.

After the season is over, the Lions will be in an interesting position. Because of the 2010 rookie salary issue, 2009 is said to perhaps be the best draft class ever. The Lions might well find themselves able to trade down and stack the team with 1st round draft choices. They could possibly come away with a top LT, QB and a pass rushing DE. Or, they could stay put and select who they think is the best player in every round. I don't know what they will do. Their track record is poor, but if Jauron was there (even they got rid of him), you could bet that he would revamp the secondary.

The Bills will probably draft in the high teens or early twenties, and Dick Jauron is running the show. This is probably too late to trade down. Moreover, we have to hope that they don't squander the first day picks they do have in terms of trading them away. If all works well with this, we then have to hope that Jauron cares even a little about both of our lines (our biggest needs). Too many iffs.

Jauron's history is marked by failure, so there is no reason to believe that he will do what needs to be done to improve this team, nor that he even knows how.

My point is that as an avid and yes proud Bills Fan, there is no reason to expect any kind of success under Jauron. His body of work tells quite a different story. Sad indeed.

I posted this last night. And I've come to the realization after these past few weeks with Jauron probably inking a contract extension that nothing will happen.

For the Bills to avoid becoming that perennial mediocre franchise (which is now what they are) they'll need to get a quality GM with a personnel background, a new coach who doesn't burn timeouts, and begin drafting and acquiring physical players. They must instill a winner's mentality, which has been absent for years.

The fact is, Ralph at 90 years of age isn't making long term plans. He has to have a HC locked up, and he has to spend money on players as mandated by the salary cap. But he doesn't need to do anything else. And not surprisingly he's not, with the promotion of Overdorf and (edit) Brandon. Keep this ship sailing straight without an objective is what we're witnessing.

Unfortunately, to remain competitive, teams must plane deep into the future. Not having a plan is unacceptable.

I would rather be pissed off (but only once) than pissed on.

BTW, they have won more than one game.

man truth hurts sometimes. I remember a while back when Miami landed Bill Parcells I said you better watch out for the Dolphins they are going to be decent team. I was bashed up and down, well look at them now.....heading to the playoffs? Maybe.....but they are in better shape then the Bills and heading into the right direction.

man truth hurts sometimes. I remember a while back when Miami landed Bill Parcells I said you better watch out for the Dolphins they are going to be decent team. I was bashed up and down, well look at them now.....heading to the playoffs? Maybe.....but they are in better shape then the Bills and heading into the right direction.

Bill Parcells, though he can be a jerk, is one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL. He surrounded himself with people like GM Jeff Ireland and HC Tony Sparano who are not surprisingly getting results.

Meanwhile, Ralph privately fumes but does nothing. If he doesn't want to find someone to run football operations and hand over responsibility to a non-football person like Matt Millen was in Detroit, then fine. At least Wayne Huizenga (who may be selling the team in the near future) wants to win and is doing the right thing by hiring Parcells.

Ralph bought himself time when Levy was GM. Now that Marv is gone, there is no personality in the front office that fans identify with. Combine that with having a mediocre record and you have the displeasure fans are showing.

You're an outstanding poster 'Vet and you've got a sharp mind, but this thread is preposterous.

Since the beginning of our playoff drought, the Bills have an unsatisfactory .421 winning percentage. The Lions have a dreadful winning percentage of .286. Yeah, the goal is to win a Superbowl and both teams have failed to do that. I'm not any happier with the mediocrity we've seen from this franchise over the last decade than you are.

But the Bills have consistently put a significantly superior product on the field to that of the Lions. There's really no question as to which is better for a fan. Just ask any of those Lions fans who have to go to games with paper bags over their faces, or any Bills fan who's able to give you a truly honest answer.

Things are bad, but at least we're not Lions fans.

Arizona hasnt been there since 98. Not that that makes me feel any better.

You're an outstanding poster 'Vet and you've got a sharp mind, but this thread is preposterous.

Since the beginning of our playoff drought, the Bills have an unsatisfactory .421 winning percentage. The Lions have a dreadful winning percentage of .286. Yeah, the goal is to win a Superbowl and both teams have failed to do that. I'm not any happier with the mediocrity we've seen from this franchise over the last decade than you are.

But the Bills have consistently put a significantly superior product on the field to that of the Lions. There's really no question as to which is better for a fan. Just ask any of those Lions fans who have to go to games with paper bags over their faces, or any Bills fan who's able to give you a truly honest answer.

Things are bad, but at least we're not Lions fans.

Thank you for your words. Obviously the Bills aren't as woeful as Detroit is. The Lions are the worst team in the NFL, and it doesn't take much for even a casual fan to see that.

However, the Bills are fast becoming a slightly better version of the Lions. Buffalo's front office hasn't changed much in years, with Guy, Modrak, and Overdorf still holdovers from earlier this decade. Instead of improving, the Bills are flatlining. When you consider the teams Buffalo has beaten this year have combined for a 17-55 record, 6-6 doesn't seem all that hot. The record of opponents who beat Buffalo is 37-35, hardly impressive.

Sure, Detroit is worse, and probably will be next season. But when the Bills remain mediocre and they don't change the people making the decisions, something is very wrong. I am tired of mediocrity. At least Lions fans know their team is bad, and respond accordingly. Buffalo fans get amped every season, and are consistently left like we are now.

Also have to disagree. The Lions have done extremely poorly in the draft.

Round 1's

2006--Ernie Sims---severely average LB. 2 sacks, 1 INT for 5 yds in 3 years, 0 forced fumbles.

2005--Mike Williams---2 TD's in 4 yrs, and on his 3rd team.

2004--Roy Williams---no longer with team

2003---Charles Rogers---has played 15 games in his career

2002---Joey Harrington----now with his 4th team

It's just as bad with the 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Also have to disagree. The Lions have done extremely poorly in the draft.

Round 1's

2006--Ernie Sims---severely average LB. 2 sacks, 1 INT for 5 yds in 3 years, 0 forced fumbles.

2005--Mike Williams---2 TD's in 4 yrs, and on his 3rd team.

2004--Roy Williams---no longer with team

2003---Charles Rogers---has played 15 games in his career

2002---Joey Harrington----now with his 4th team

It's just as bad with the 2nd and 3rd rounders.

It's been said that Martin Mayhew has already done more scouting in a month than MM did in his seven years as GM. Wow.

I believe Ernie Sims suffers from an inferior DL, and being a WLB, his tackle stats aren't bad. Not that tackles says a player is good or bad.

Mayhew traded Roy Williams for a first, third, and sixth. That deal really can't be analyzed.

Harrington barely hangs on in the league, and both Williams and Rogers are gone. MM was horrible drafting, and that's obvious. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut, and Williams and Sims are above average players.

I will agree their later picks have stunk up the joint. Buffalo's 2nd and beyond picks haven't been that good either, outside of Posluszny and Edwards:

04 Anderson, Euhus, D. McFarland, J. Smith

05 Parrish, Everett, Preston, King, Geisinger, Gates

06 Youboty, Simpson, Butler, Williams, Ellison, Pennington, Merz

07 Wright, Wendling, Schouman, Ah You