I wonder what Bobby April knows about football.

Lv-Bills

I would have never considered Bobby April a head coach in the NFL before just because he has great special teams units year after year. I also don't think any of us know if he knows any other football besides special teams. Can he manage a game, etc.

What is interesting to me about April is that he is innovative. We see things from special teams that shock us each and every year. We see him coaching his units constantly. We see most of the things that his units do become successful.

This is just pure guessing, but I'm wondering if April is head coach material, or if this is just a guy who will always just be suited to be a special teams coach.

The guy motivates, innovates, stays on top of things, and is very creative. Seems like all the characteristics that would make a great leader.

But, does he know the rest of the game? Intersting thoughts lately. When you see guys like Tony Sparano being so creative, etc.......I'm just wondering if April can be one of those guys.

:lol:

I would have never considered Bobby April a head coach in the NFL before just because he has great special teams units year after year. I also don't think any of us know if he knows any other football besides special teams. Can he manage a game, etc.

What is interesting to me about April is that he is innovative. We see things from special teams that shock us each and every year. We see him coaching his units constantly. We see most of the things that his units do become successful.

This is just pure guessing, but I'm wondering if April is head coach material, or if this is just a guy who will always just be suited to be a special teams coach.

The guy motivates, innovates, stays on top of things, and is very creative. Seems like all the characteristics that would make a great leader.

But, does he know the rest of the game? Intersting thoughts lately. When you see guys like Tony Sparano being so creative, etc.......I'm just wondering if April can be one of those guys.

:lol:

Like what? What has shocked you this year about our special teams? Just curious.

The HC often delegates the Xs and Os to coordinators and is more of a CEO figure anyway. That is why so many very good coordinators flame out as head coaches. I have no idea of April's organization skills or how he would be as a game manager, but his guys seem organized and motivated each and every week. Year after year he puts together top units, even this year's rebuilding bunch is pretty good and will only get better with time.

Also, remember Levy was a special teams coach, I don't think he was a pro coordinator (could be wrong there).

IMHO, it would either be wildly successful or an abject disaster...nothing medicore.

Before he focused strictly on special teams, April was a position coach on both sides of the ball -- several years on either DL or secondary at big-time colleges, three seasons as the TEs/STs coach with the Falcons.

I really don't think a guy that has been a ST coordinator for the past seventeen years screams head coach potential. He either doesn't want to move up, or he's about as high up the chain as he's capable of moving.

I'm more likely to believe that April is TOO competent to be a head coach. Because if there's one thing Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey have proved, it's that inability is no impediment to advancement.

Ravens HC Harbough was an ST coach before he landed his gig and he's doing pretty well. You have to be a good motivator and a hard worker, play to your strengths. April may well be a capable HC, I can't say for sure. The Bills have been promoting from within a lot, but this team may need a complete over-haul in the coaching department.

Also, remember Levy was a special teams coach, I don't think he was a pro coordinator (could be wrong there).

Marv was Special Teams Co ordinator for the Washington Redskins for a couple of years under HOF George Allen including their Super Bowl season when the Redskins lost to the Dolphins 14-7. That was the game with the Garo Yuprimean "pass" that was returned for a TD by the Redskins.

The risk we take by promoting Bobby April before the season ends is, if he is a disaster as a coach it wouldn't be like he'd go back to being our special teams coach. So in short, if he really sucked for the last few weeks, we'd not only have to find a head coach, we'd be in the hunt for a special teams coach (good ones are hard to find).

The risk we take by promoting Bobby April before the season ends is, if he is a disaster as a coach it wouldn't be like he'd go back to being our special teams coach. So in short, if he really sucked for the last few weeks, we'd not only have to find a head coach, we'd be in the hunt for a special teams coach (good ones are hard to find).

But if he's named "interim" head coach, I think he can audition for the job and if unsuccessful, that would allow him to return to being ST coordinator.

Like what? What has shocked you this year about our special teams? Just curious.

Well, there was the Moorman to Denney TD pass on the FG fake earlier in the season. Other than that, I think the opportunities to try any trick plays just really hasnt presented itself.

Well, there was the Moorman to Denney TD pass on the FG fake earlier in the season. Other than that, I think the opportunities to try any trick plays just really hasnt presented itself.

Fake punt against the Jets resulting in a first down nullified by a penalty.

The propensity of long kickoff returns by Leodis is attributable to April coaching good kick return schemes.

I really don't think a guy that has been a ST coordinator for the past seventeen years screams head coach potential. He either doesn't want to move up, or he's about as high up the chain as he's capable of moving.

The Bills did interview him for the coaching job before they hired "Dead Head Dick", so he was interested.

"Geter done" for the last 4 games