OK, Lets Think About Some Things Rationally Here's My Take On

Steely Dan

Before I begin about the other stuff I just want to point out this is the most embarrassing loss by a Buffalo team I can remember since the SB's. The team will be known forever as the team that let the west coast jinx stop for once against what was supposed to be an inferior team.

Thoughts in no particular order:

#1: I know many of you are going to be disappointed but Jauron isn't going anywhere this offseason. He'll be HC of the Bills next year.

#2: Injuries stopped being an excuse for this team at the end of last season. With so many other teams dealing with injuries this year the injury argument for this team is lame. After last year the Bills should have developed ample depth to cover the problems this year.

#3: IMO, the players deserve about 40% of the blame for this debacle so far. It's the coaching staff's job to get the players ready and develop the schemes but I remember a guy a few years ago saying that if the other team knew what the plays were on every snap the players should still be able to execute the play.

#4: I think the Bills finish at least 8-8 and possibly 9-7.

#5: In the offseason every player and coach needs to take full stock of themselves and realize just being in the offseason workouts isn't enough. There also has to be an elevation in the quality of the time spent in the offseason and regular season.

Many years ago I remember hearing a journeyman player who had been on more than one SB team saying that the non-SB teams felt like they were doing everything they needed to do but weren't close to doing it. I think the Bills are in the category of falling short.

#6: I've been screaming for a high round drafted center since Hull left and every year I've been disappointed. If this team doesn't address this position in a BIG way their road to the playoffs is going to be too bumpy! A road grader is exactly what they need.

#7: If the Bills are going to use a FB in the offense then they need to draft the best one in the coming draft. Journeymen don't seem to be cutting it. They need a great blocker and a great receiver at that position.

#8: TE is a huge need. The highest rated TE available at the Bills first or second round pick should be drafted.

#9: A LB or two need to be taken in the draft or addressed in the offseason.

#10: The Bills need a DL or two taken in the draft. Look for Ellis to be much better next year.

#11: IMO, the level of need goes TE/C, FB, LB, DL. The best FB should be available in rounds 4-6.

#12: A backup QB needs to be brought in during the offseason somehow.

#13: Edwards is going to be a better QB next year and those calling for his head have very little clue on how a QB is developed. Patience is the biggest thing needed. Edwards has all the tools he just needs the experience to put it all together. It's very unsurprising to see him up and down this year.

#14: The coaching staff really needs to step it up in preparation and scheming.

#15: The players need to really step it up in preparation and effort.

#16 FA will address some of the needs the Bills have and not everything will be reliant on the draft. FB, TE and C are the three positions that must be addressed through the draft. There will not be any guys available in FA that are going to be close to what the Bills should be able to get among the best guys in the draft.

#17: The receiving corp is going to be a lot better and deeper next year. They say the second year is the biggest jump for a receiver. Look for Hardy and Johnson to be a lot better next year. The Bills will have Evans, Hardy, Reed, Parrish and Johnson. Probably the deepest position on the team and one of the deepest in the NFL.

#18: Without a big step up next year this team might find itself in the position of starting over, again in 2010! :devil:

Where to start.... the total lack of continuity is baffling! Fifty four points, then three? Offense shows up or defense shows up, but somehow they NEVER arrive at the same time, same day, it seems!! I'd be fine with the team being outplayed if I was sure that they were trying HARD to win the game. The simple truth I'm left with throughout the entire decade is that this team is DEVOID of playmakers offensively or defensively!! The other alternative makes me sick and that's that the coaching staff(s) have NOT been aware of how to deploy the weapons they do have to their best abilities. Finally, I am always wondering why we seem to have a rash of stupidity at clucial moments... This happens with more regularity than nearly any other team in the NFL, sans Oakland. Time management, poor play calling, not being aware of game situations etc etc etc!!! Maybe this team, ultimately wasn't ready for prime time this year.

The most embarrassing loss in the past decade was the NE game at home last year. Touchdowns allowed on 8 consecutive drives on a nationally televised night game. This nightmare was a TRIUMPH by comparison.

No, what's happening is the people who have been on the fence are finally getting fed up, the people who didn't know now do..

Steely Dan, I agree with most of your post.

I think the wasted timeouts are a huge problem which is indicative of an indecisive coaching staff. The coaches do have to manage the game as well as prepare the players, so I put a little more blame on them.

Regarding your statements about the journeymen SB players and the coaching staff needing to step it up in preparation. Since Jauron has never coached a superbowl caliber team, or taken a team close to one (that 13-3 team in 2001 was a quick out in the playoffs if I'm not mistaken), maybe he thinks he's doing enough as well. After 2.5 years of Jauronball, I'm convinced it's not enough.

There are guys out there with that Super Bowl pedigree. Whether or not they'd come to Buffalo is another question, but they'd know what it takes to get there.

The most embarrassing loss in the past decade was the NE game at home last year. Touchdowns allowed on 8 consecutive drives on a nationally televised night game. This nightmare was a TRIUMPH by comparison.

No, what's happening is the people who have been on the fence are finally getting fed up, the people who didn't know now do..

I think you're close but that game was forgotten the next week pretty much but for the rest of the season anytime a west coast team travels to the east coast this game is going to be brought up several times during each broadcast!

You point out C and TE, but Preston and Schouman both played well today. The defense does need another pass rusher but going into today they were ranked 13th in the league (which will go up now). The Buffalo Bills problem is their PASSING GAME! Whether it is their C, like everyone on here likes to point out, or their WR's or their QB, or most likely, their coaches, that's what they need to figure out quick. They haven't had a fluid passing game since Bledsoe. They know how to dump it off to the RB's, but they can't make that 17-yard out pattern that other teams can make. And name another competent NFL team (with exception to Tennessee I guess) that doesn't get more than two receivers involved all season. I tell you, it's maddening.

SD-It's time to take Dan's line down from your posts. It's relevancy ended about three games ago.

I'm glad to see you've come around. Many of those items in your original post are subjects everyone debated ad nauseam during the offseason. For the record, it's people like BADOL who pointed out the indecisiveness which you're now seeing. It's always been there.

DJ's time in Chicago demonstrated that he wasn't a HC who could make good decisions quickly. That is his greatest shortcoming, and will never get better. Behind that is a reliance on drafting DB's and forgetting the OL and DL.

There was a rumor after the Cleveland game that Ralph was extremely upset losing again like that on MNF. I don't think that went away at all after today, and the silver lining to this game is that now DJ's firing is more realistic. RW cannot ignore the way this team loses, especially in must-win games.

You point out C and TE, but Preston and Schouman both played well today. The defense does need another pass rusher but going into today they were ranked 13th in the league (which will go up now). The Buffalo Bills problem is their PASSING GAME! Whether it is their C, like everyone on here likes to point out, or their WR's or their QB, or most likely, their coaches, that's what they need to figure out quick. They haven't had a fluid passing game since Bledsoe. They know how to dump it off to the RB's, but they can't make that 17-yard out pattern that other teams can make. And name another competent NFL team (with exception to Tennessee I guess) that doesn't get more than two receivers involved all season. I tell you, it's maddening.

I'm writing that off to QB growing pains.

It all begins at the top. If you think Jauron and his staff working 120 hrs. a week and giving him better players is going to make this team a lot better, well, I own a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell you for cheap. To address Jauron, specifically... he has no business being a head coach... let alone giving him more input in personnel decisions than most HCs in the league... how's that worked out? Nuff said.

This organization is incompetent... and Ralph likes it that way. At 90 years old, he doesn't give a flip anymore. His candle has burned out. His goal at this point is to be barely adequate and marginally competetive. He has put the operation of this team in the hands of a bunch of caretakers until God calls his number. These Bozos have no clue how to put a winner together. There is no direction, there is no plan to make this team a bonafide SB contender. Russ Brandon doesn't know a football player from a concert pianist. His strategy is the same as Microsoft's... let's not spend $$$ to fix Vista, let's just put all that $$$ into marketing and bullsh-- everyone into believing it's a beautful thing. I can't wait to see what his next sales pitch is. This team is no closer to the playoffs than it was 8 years ago, and they had the NFL's easiest schedule. If he sells as many season tix next year as he did this year, he ought to be mentioned in the same breath as P.T. Barnum.

It all begins at the top. If you think Jauron and his staff working 120 hrs. a week and giving him better players is going to make this team a lot better, well, I own a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell you for cheap. To address Jauron, specifically... he has no business being a head coach... let alone giving him more input in personnel decisions than most HCs in the league... how's that worked out? Nuff said.

This organization is incompetent... and Ralph likes it that way. At 90 years old, he doesn't give a flip anymore. His candle has burned out. His goal at this point is to be barely adequate and marginally competetive. He has put the operation of this team in the hands of a bunch of caretakers until God calls his number. These Bozos have no clue how to put a winner together. There is no direction, there is no plan to make this team a bonafide SB contender. Russ Brandon doesn't know a football player from a concert pianist. His strategy is the same as Microsoft's... let's not spend $$$ to fix Vista, let's just put all that $$$ into marketing and bullsh-- everyone into believing it's a beautful thing. I can't wait to see what his next sales pitch is. This team is no closer to the playoffs than it was 8 years ago, and they had the NFL's easiest schedule. If he sells as many season tix next year as he did this year, he ought to be mentioned in the same breath as P.T. Barnum.

:blink: AMEN :thumbsup:

Before I begin about the other stuff I just want to point out this is the most embarrassing loss by a Buffalo team I can remember since the SB's. The team will be known forever as the team that let the west coast jinx stop for once against what was supposed to be an inferior team.

Thoughts in no particular order:

#1: I know many of you are going to be disappointed but Jauron isn't going anywhere this offseason. He'll be HC of the Bills next year.

Do not bank on that. Extension be damned. Ralph will find it difficult to pay for that extension when the stadium is only half full.

#2: Injuries stopped being an excuse for this team at the end of last season. With so many other teams dealing with injuries this year the injury argument for this team is lame. After last year the Bills should have developed ample depth to cover the problems this year.

Injuries should have never been the excuse for last year. Period. It was a cop out by the apologists trying to explain why Jauron, yet again, was unable to achieve a winning record. When I see the Ravens this year with a rookie HC and 15 players on IR still inthe driver's seat for a playoff spot, the injury 'excuse' was complete and utter BS

#3: IMO, the players deserve about 40% of the blame for this debacle so far. It's the coaching staff's job to get the players ready and develop the schemes but I remember a guy a few years ago saying that if the other team knew what the plays were on every snap the players should still be able to execute the play.

#4: I think the Bills finish at least 8-8 and possibly 9-7.

Wow. 4 games left, and you think they can win 3? Who? The Dolphins are possible. The Jets are going to beat us, the Broncos are going to beat us, and so will the Pats.

#5: In the offseason every player and coach needs to take full stock of themselves and realize just being in the offseason workouts isn't enough. There also has to be an elevation in the quality of the time spent in the offseason and regular season.

Many years ago I remember hearing a journeyman player who had been on more than one SB team saying that the non-SB teams felt like they were doing everything they needed to do but weren't close to doing it. I think the Bills are in the category of falling short.

#6: I've been screaming for a high round drafted center since Hull left and every year I've been disappointed. If this team doesn't address this position in a BIG way their road to the playoffs is going to be too bumpy! A road grader is exactly what they need.

#7: If the Bills are going to use a FB in the offense then they need to draft the best one in the coming draft. Journeymen don't seem to be cutting it. They need a great blocker and a great receiver at that position.

#8: TE is a huge need. The highest rated TE available at the Bills first or second round pick should be drafted.

#9: A LB or two need to be taken in the draft or addressed in the offseason.

#10: The Bills need a DL or two taken in the draft. Look for Ellis to be much better next year.

#11: IMO, the level of need goes TE/C, FB, LB, DL. The best FB should be available in rounds 4-6.

#12: A backup QB needs to be brought in during the offseason somehow.

#13: Edwards is going to be a better QB next year and those calling for his head have very little clue on how a QB is developed. Patience is the biggest thing needed. Edwards has all the tools he just needs the experience to put it all together. It's very unsurprising to see him up and down this year.

#14: The coaching staff really needs to step it up in preparation and scheming.

#15: The players need to really step it up in preparation and effort.

See #14. Address that problem first, and watch #15 become a non-factor.

#16 FA will address some of the needs the Bills have and not everything will be reliant on the draft. FB, TE and C are the three positions that must be addressed through the draft. There will not be any guys available in FA that are going to be close to what the Bills should be able to get among the best guys in the draft.

#17: The receiving corp is going to be a lot better and deeper next year. They say the second year is the biggest jump for a receiver. Look for Hardy and Johnson to be a lot better next year. The Bills will have Evans, Hardy, Reed, Parrish and Johnson. Probably the deepest position on the team and one of the deepest in the NFL.

#18: Without a big step up next year this team might find itself in the position of starting over, again in 2010! :blink:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Unless things turn around dramatically, 2009 could be the start of a new era.

Steely, what in the blue hell are you smoking to think we can win 3 of 4 to finish the year? I mean, honestly, please list the reasons that make you honestly believe that this team can win 3 more games. I see 7-9 at best, because we'll sneak out a win somewhere, along with at least 2 blowout losses.

just to point out a couple of things in your observation:

#6: did you happen to see the Jets/Broncos game? the Broncos centers are Casey Wegmann @ 6'2" 285 and

Tom Nalen @ 6'3" 286. compared to Melvin Fowler @ 6'3" 310 and Duke Preston @ 6'5" 326. mention was made several times as to how small but very good the Denver oline is. the problem is talent evaluation and coaching. when you say road graders i assume you refer to size.

#13: Losman has all the tools as well and was not well coached and neither is Edwards. you don't seem to have a clue as well, it may not make a difference with this coaching staff. i say may not because this is the rookie year for both van Pelt and Schonert and they should learn from this season's mistakes.

Steely, what in the blue hell are you smoking to think we can win 3 of 4 to finish the year? I mean, honestly, please list the reasons that make you honestly believe that this team can win 3 more games. I see 7-9 at best, because we'll sneak out a win somewhere, along with at least 2 blowout losses.

I'm an optimist. The glass is 1/4 full. :blink:

just to point out a couple of things in your observation:

#6: did you happen to see the Jets/Broncos game? the Broncos centers are Casey Wegmann @ 6'2" 285 and

Tom Nalen @ 6'3" 286. compared to Melvin Fowler @ 6'3" 310 and Duke Preston @ 6'5" 326. mention was made several times as to how small but very good the Denver oline is. the problem is talent evaluation and coaching. when you say road graders i assume you refer to size.

#13: Losman has all the tools as well and was not well coached and neither is Edwards. you don't seem to have a clue as well, it may not make a difference with this coaching staff. i say may not because this is the rookie year for both van Pelt and Schonert and they should learn from this season's mistakes.

A road grader, IMO, is a guy who can push his guy back on running plays and often pancake his guy. I don't care how big he is. Extra large centers can cause problems for the QB. IMO, a guy in the 6"3" range is what the perfect size for a center is.

As for Edwards he was great at the beginning of the season had a slump and then a great game and had a groin injury yesterday so yesterday's game is a ? He's been streaky which isn't unusual for a young QB.

I think you hit on a lot of the same points I'm thinking.

I think our problems are actually pretty clear as far as personnel goes:

Defense - our defense is fairly solid, especially against the run, but without Schobel we have no pass rushers and need to bring linebackers to get pressure. Otherwise we have issues of depth at cornerback and at linebacker.

needs - rush end, linebacker, corner (less of a need with a healthy Youboty)

Offense - the biggest problem, in my opinion, is inexperience. Reed is the only savvy veteran on this side of the ball. We need to bring in a veteran receiver who can be counted on. Center and interior line depth is the other clear need. Also we're perennially looking for a special receiving TE, we should look harder. FBs are pretty much all journeymen these days, McIntyre's ok, but he's certainly not a reliable receiver as we saw today.

needs - center, veteran receiver, receiving TE

a more complicated problem is whether or coaches are preparing the team properly. I have some doubts on the offensive side of the ball, but again this is Turk's first year as a coordinator. In the NFL continuity has the highest correlation to success, which is why I'm cautious to call for radical, pull the plug type change.

I think you hit on a lot of the same points I'm thinking.

I think our problems are actually pretty clear as far as personnel goes:

Defense - our defense is fairly solid, especially against the run, but without Schobel we have no pass rushers and need to bring linebackers to get pressure. Otherwise we have issues of depth at cornerback and at linebacker.

needs - rush end, linebacker, corner (less of a need with a healthy Youboty)

Offense - the biggest problem, in my opinion, is inexperience. Reed is the only savvy veteran on this side of the ball. We need to bring in a veteran receiver who can be counted on. Center and interior line depth is the other clear need. Also we're perennially looking for a special receiving TE, we should look harder. FBs are pretty much all journeymen these days, McIntyre's ok, but he's certainly not a reliable receiver as we saw today.

needs - center, veteran receiver, receiving TE

a more complicated problem is whether or coaches are preparing the team properly. I have some doubts on the offensive side of the ball, but again this is Turk's first year as a coordinator. In the NFL continuity has the highest correlation to success, which is why I'm cautious to call for radical, pull the plug type change.

How could you leave Evans out of the equation? I don't think they need anything in the WR corp except maybe a mid to late round pick to see if they can unearth another Johnson.

I just want to point out this is the most embarrassing loss by a Buffalo team I can remember since the SB's. The team will be known forever as the team that let the west coast jinx stop for once against what was supposed to be an inferior team.

Oh come on now.

Dallas 25-24 last year wasn't as bad?

What about 8-0 against Cleveland?

I'm sorry that you take the "west coast jinx" so seriously, but please - it will be "known forever? A handful of people in Buffalo might remember it but it sure as he|| isn't relevant. And yeah, the 49ers are an inferior team but it's not like losing to the winless Lions.

How could you leave Evans out of the equation? I don't think they need anything in the WR corp except maybe a mid to late round pick to see if they can unearth another Johnson.

Evans is the #1. I just mean another old vet like Reed in the mix. after Evans and Reed there's only Parrish, who's not really a receiver, and a couple of rookies.