What Would You Guys Think About...............

H2o

The guy has done alot for the teams he's been around. A product of Bill Walsh and the old West Coast offense. He's been a winner in this league for a long time. He also has Super Bowl credibility as a head coach, winning one with GB and losing the SB that the Steelers bought off. A vast majority of people here believe that Jauron just is not the guy. Do we give DJ next season and go after Holmgren in 2010? He seems like a good fit. More of a small town coach that would be embraced around here, with a proven pedigree. What do you guys think?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did the Bills beat 34-10 in the opener? Think about what you ask for. [Oh and turn your T.V. on]

GOOD Coaches who've suffered through a bad season:

Just about all of them :censored:

DJ vs. MH?

Holmgren, hands down.

Holmgren also tries to get a lot of power by being Head Coach & GM. There is no chance he would get that here.

Jauron apparently has a big say in personnel decisions in Buffalo. That's a lot pf power. Probably too much for a guy who needs to figure out how to beat a good team. What else would Holmgren want?

Jauron apparently has a big say in personnel decisions in Buffalo. That's a lot pf power. Probably too much for a guy who needs to figure out how to beat a good team. What else would Holmgren want?

I don't think enough Bills fans realize how much control DJ has in personnel. Modrak and Guy gather information from various sources, but who is there in the front office to check DJ? I'm not sure there is another person that can do it.

IMO, Holmgren's season started sliding downhill when they were hit with the injury bug early. People around here started giving Buffalo a pass in 07 when three main contributors (Denney, Simpson, and Posluszny) went down. To make this evaluation fair, if Holmgren gets universal blame for Seattle's poor showing this year, then DJ deserves it for last season.

I would welcome Holmgren to Buffalo, but it's not happening. He'll leave for a season and become the next Parcells, as in a guy who is brought in to re-do an entire franchise. It's precisely what Buffalo needs right now.

Holmgren would also want mucho dollars. Probably more than the Bills could afford (unless we start spending the Toronto Series profits). Teams with low revenues usually have to squeeze the front office and coaching staff since they can't outbid teh high revenue teams for coaches or staff. When Gregg Williams got hired as DC for the "Skins, he was making more money than as Bills HC where he was just fired.

Never been a huge Holmgren fan, but, obviously, he would be an upgrade, based on track record, to Dick Jauron...what it is obvious about him, if nothing else, the guy knows how to develop QB's...that being said, why waste your time thinking about this? The chance of Holmgren ever coming to Buffalo, to coach, are about as good as Tom Landry coming to Buffalo...now, what I could possibly see, is Andy Reid stepping down in Philly, taking a year or two off, and going to a team like Buffalo. From what I have heard, he would prefer to be in a smaller market, like Buffalo, where the national scrutiny isn't as high, and the expectations are a little more realistic. Not a huge Reid fan either, but like Holmgren, you can't deny he has been pretty successful in the NFL.

Marty Schottenheimer should be the next head coach of the Bills

I am not a fan of Holmgren, just another head coach like Andy Reid that thinks the system is more important then any of his players. It also would never happen

I'd take Holmgren in the role Parcells has in Miami. He's not a great gameday coach, but he can build good teams and has a great eye for building a staff.

Holmgren did not build the Packers and had his GM duties taken away from him in Seattle after struggling with it...i would rather have a real NFL caliber GM for a change

Holmgren would also want mucho dollars. Probably more than the Bills could afford (unless we start spending the Toronto Series profits). Teams with low revenues usually have to squeeze the front office and coaching staff since they can't outbid teh high revenue teams for coaches or staff. When Gregg Williams got hired as DC for the "Skins, he was making more money than as Bills HC where he was just fired.

8 years ago, Ralph handed control over all football operations to TD. Ultimately, it didn't result in success, but demonstrates that Ralph finally discovered that he alone cannot get this team to respectability. Should this season get worse, I would hope he isn't gun-shy about doing it again. TD's failures should not prevent Ralph from finding another qualified GM type from outside the organization to run things again.

I agree that Holmgren would want plenty of power and money, but we're seeing that you can't put a price on someone to come in and revamp losing franchises. Both Atlanta and Miami have gone from being at the top of the NFL Draft to being on the verge of a playoff season in one year. Their new GM's are clearly the difference, in that they found good HC's and drafted the right players. Ask Arthur Blank and Wayne Huizenga if hiring Dimitrioff and Parcells was worth it now.

At this point, if there isn't enough money to find a proven NFL winner to run the front office, then perhaps we need to re-evaluate if this franchise is serious about becoming a winner. Potentially going nine straight seasons without a playoff team in the salary cap era is absurd.

I am not a fan of Holmgren, just another head coach like Andy Reid that thinks the system is more important then any of his players. It also would never happen

Marty Ball is slow and painful to watch...basically the equivalent of watching paint dry. Besides Marty never seems to make it to the big dance. He's a great coach if you want to win division titles.....but usually ends up being one and done in the playoffs. Trust me on this one...you don't want Marty ball in Buffalo.

My vote is for Cowher.

That is the kind of coach you want. A player's coach and motivator who gets the best out of his guys. Hard-nosed football, he's all about power running and mean defense. I love that kind of football. Bill Cowher would make a great coach for us. He'd fit in pretty easily in our blue collar city too.

My vote is for Cowher.

That is the kind of coach you want. A player's coach and motivator who gets the best out of his guys. Hard-nosed football, he's all about power running and mean defense. I love that kind of football. Bill Cowher would make a great coach for us. He'd fit in pretty easily in our blue collar city too.

It all hinges on Ralph. You would think that at his age he would want to win NOW and be willing to spend some money to do it.

Part of me thinks that he's managing the team to profitibility in order to help keep the team in Buffalo. If it makes profit in Buffalo, then there is a better chance of getting local buyers. If he were to throw caution to the wind and spend more (which might reduce profit) then it would be harder for a local buyer to rationaize the purchase if there is a poor return on the investment. Ralph is no dummy.

Would like to see him "go for broke" though.

Holmgren is a winner, a QB guru, and has Super Bowl rings. We'd rather see if Dick can pull it together. Thanks anyway.

San Fran. is his last stop

Spoken like a true fan. BTW, you're kidding yourself if you think Holmgren has some sort of loyalty to a 9ers organization that has nothing in common with the one he left 18 years ago.

Marty Ball is slow and painful to watch...basically the equivalent of watching paint dry. Besides Marty never seems to make it to the big dance. He's a great coach if you want to win division titles.....but usually ends up being one and done in the playoffs. Trust me on this one...you don't want Marty ball in Buffalo.

yeah because winning division titles would be a bad thing with the state of the Bills over the past 10+ years

Marty has taken 3 different teams to the playoffs and would have been 4 if Snyder would have given him another year or two instead of hiring Spurrier

Marty ball wasnt slow or painful to watch in San Diego and really at this point does it matter...He likes to run the ball and play good defense, I dont know about anyone else but that works for me. I would take slow and painful as long as its successful and worry about playoffs when they actually get there.

Marty is also a more realistic option because it wouldnt take 8-9 mil a year to get him like it would to get Cowher because we all know Ralph will never pay that

I agree the MS should be next coach. He has a proven record of turning teams around and into playoff teams quickly. We're not that far away. He also gets somewhat of a bum wrap on the "can't win the big one" thing. The old football addage is "you gotta win big games to get in big games". I also don't think he told Ernest Byner to fumble the football going in for the Conference Championship score.

As to Mike Holmgrem, yes the Seahawks have been in the playoffs the last five seasons. But, his team plays in the NFC West. He won the division a couple of times in that stretch at 9-7. They showed his record at 88-77. Take out the 13-3 Super Bowl season and he's about a .500 coach. That 2005 team was awesome, but then it's been back to mediocrity ever since.

8 years ago, Ralph handed control over all football operations to TD. Ultimately, it didn't result in success, but demonstrates that Ralph finally discovered that he alone cannot get this team to respectability. Should this season get worse, I would hope he isn't gun-shy about doing it again. TD's failures should not prevent Ralph from finding another qualified GM type from outside the organization to run things again.

I agree that Holmgren would want plenty of power and money, but we're seeing that you can't put a price on someone to come in and revamp losing franchises. Both Atlanta and Miami have gone from being at the top of the NFL Draft to being on the verge of a playoff season in one year. Their new GM's are clearly the difference, in that they found good HC's and drafted the right players. Ask Arthur Blank and Wayne Huizenga if hiring Dimitrioff and Parcells was worth it now.

At this point, if there isn't enough money to find a proven NFL winner to run the front office, then perhaps we need to re-evaluate if this franchise is serious about becoming a winner. Potentially going nine straight seasons without a playoff team in the salary cap era is absurd.

Agreed. I think we have the talent to make teh playoffs, but it's the HC and game day leadership that is lacking. The bungling of the last drive against Cleveland and teh heartless performance at NE are all indicative of a HC problem.