Shaun Alexander

DrDawkinstein

cut from the skins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3726118

it just goes to show how fast a career can rise and how even faster it can fall...

edit: ok i guess 9 years isnt that fast, but you know what i mean. dude was tearing it up a couple years ago...

I think what it really tells you is RBs hit the wall pretty fast. Alexander was the league MVP just a few years ago. I think your seeing this with LT too. While LT is still pretty good, he always has some kind of nagging injury. Faulk & Priest Holme's production fell off pretty quick also. That is why if I was a Gm I would very rarely give my RBs that 2nd contract. Run them into the ground for 5yrs & then just draft another RB.

cut from the skins

it just goes to show how fast a career can rise and how even faster it can fall...

edit: ok i guess 9 years isnt that fast, but you know what i mean. dude was tearing it up a couple years ago...

RBs---some smarts involved but mostly pure athleticism....which peaks betw ages 23-26or27. Any injuries,as well as father time-are devastating. Again 9 yrs is a lonnnnnng career for an RB.

I think what it really tells you is RBs hit the wall pretty fast. Alexander was the league MVP just a few years ago. I think your seeing this with LT too. While LT is still pretty good, he always has some kind of nagging injury. Faulk & Priest Holme's production fell off pretty quick also. That is why if I was a Gm I would very rarely give my RBs that 2nd contract. Run them into the ground for 5yrs & then just draft another RB.

Look at Gayle Sayers. A few brilliant years then he was running on one leg due to injuries.

The AVG career span of an NFL player is 3 years. The Running backs take more abuse then any other players bar none.

Most people don't realize the amount of special talent,ability and even luck it takes to get a player through a 10+ year career. I regard Walter Payton as the best running back of all time because he managed to gain all those yards while being on some pretty lousy teams with horrid O-lines. Unlike Emmitt Smith who had one of the best teams and O-lines in football for years.

P.S. I look at Brett Farve and just simply think...amazing! :wallbash:

Even Cal Ripkin Jr thinks Brett is amazing :thumbdown:

cut from the skins

RB's have the shortest careers in the NFL due to all those hits they take. I'm not surprised.

its been shown pretty thoroughly that once an RB gets more than 380 carries in a season, their usefulness in following seasons drops dramatically. Alexander, LT, and Larry Johnson being the most recent examples. I am not sure why more teams don't understand this, or perhaps they do, and are willing to take the risk to attempt to win a few more games...

Injuries, tired legs, whatever the reason, but it seems pretty conclusive that once 380+ carries are logged in a season, the vast majority of players suffer a pretty big drop off...in fact, this same thing is what caused Thurman Thomas to go from a superstar to an average RB in about a years time....