Trent and Jauron

generaLee83

Trent Edwards seems to have found himself again, he looked every bit of his early season self yesterday and I will change my outlook from a 6-10 season to an 8-8 season. The quick release was back, the confidence was back, it only looks up for him now. But...................................Jauron.

Why?

Because although Buffalo beat the snot out of the Chiefs yesterday the same old concerns should arise in everyones mind.

Why were yesterdays offensive play calls completely different than what we fans observed against Cleveland and every other team over the last 5 weeks? The Bills were running toss sweeps, play action passes, fake draws etc etc, it was a brilliantly called game and according to one of the announcers Trent stated that he was excited prior to the game because the game plan had been simplified a bit.

Do Jauron and Schonert take into consideration how well their QB is able to execute the plays that they wish to run? Why wouldn't any coach with half of a brain attempt to keep things within the playable range of their players?

Trent looked like and all pro yesterday running an offense that spread the ball around, got outside, went deep, kept it short etc etc. Is it possible that maybe the awful 4 game slide could have been avoided or at least minimized if Jauron and company had thought outside of the box?

Which Dick Jauron are the Bills going to get next week?

Trent Edwards seems to have found himself again, he looked every bit of his early season self yesterday and I will change my outlook from a 6-10 season to an 8-8 season. The quick release was back, the confidence was back, it only looks up for him now. But...................................Jauron.

Why?

Because although Buffalo beat the snot out of the Chiefs yesterday the same old concerns should arise in everyones mind.

Why were yesterdays offensive play calls completely different than what we fans observed against Cleveland and every other team over the last 5 weeks? The Bills were running toss sweeps, play action passes, fake draws etc etc, it was a brilliantly called game and according to one of the announcers Trent stated that he was excited prior to the game because the game plan had been simplified a bit.

Do Jauron and Schonert take into consideration how well their QB is able to execute the plays that they wish to run? Why wouldn't any coach with half of a brain attempt to keep things within the playable range of their players?

Trent looked like and all pro yesterday running an offense that spread the ball around, got outside, went deep, kept it short etc etc. Is it possible that maybe the awful 4 game slide could have been avoided or at least minimized if Jauron and company had thought outside of the box?

Which Dick Jauron are the Bills going to get next week?

You know when I think the bad Dick Jauron season killing karma hit the Bills?

In that Miami game, the Bills won the coin toss and what does Dick Jauron do? He defers. A team that is 5-1 and is considered a top five team in the league defers to the second half. Hearing that set a shudder down my spine.

So what happens? The Miami Dolphins march down the field and the score is 7-0 and the Bills no longer look like a top five team in the league and whatever nerves the Dolphins had in playing the Bills were completely gone.

The Bills, being a 5-1 team, should have taken the ball and tried like heck to make the score 7-0. Keep the swagger, keep the Dolphins guessing whether they could beat us. Keep the crowd out of the game.

Now I know the Bills were in front of the Dolphins in that game, but that's not my point. That one decision told his offensive players that he didn't trust them. He trusted his defense more than the offense. He's head of a 5-1 team and he's worried his offense can't score on the Dolphins on that first possession. The Dolphins said thank you very much and proceeded to be the first team to knock the Bills off the AFC East mountain top.

I know that one stupid decision isn't the reason we lost 4 in a row, it's just that I do believe that one bad karma decision adjusted the trajectory just enough to throw the whole Bills season out of whack. If the Bills take the ball and score seven on that first drive the Dolphins lose to us. That's what I'll always think about in regards to that game.

In that Miami game, the Bills won the coin toss and what does Dick Jauron do? He defers. A team that is 5-1 and is considered a top five team in the league defers to the second half. Hearing that set a shudder down my spine.

So what happens? The Miami Dolphins march down the field and the score is 7-0 and the Bills no longer look like a top five team in the league and whatever nerves the Dolphins had in playing the Bills were completely gone.

The Bills, being a 5-1 team, should have taken the ball and tried like heck to make the score 7-0. Keep the swagger, keep the Dolphins guessing whether they could beat us. Keep the crowd out of the game.

Now I know the Bills were in front of the Dolphins in that game, but that's not my point. That one decision told his offensive players that he didn't trust them. He trusted his defense more than the offense. He's head of a 5-1 team and he's worried his offense can't score on the Dolphins on that first possession. The Dolphins said thank you very much and proceeded to be the first team to knock the Bills off the AFC East mountain top.

I know that one stupid decision isn't the reason we lost 4 in a row, it's just that I do believe that one bad karma decision adjusted the trajectory just enough to throw the whole Bills season out of whack. If the Bills take the ball and score seven on that first drive the Dolphins lose to us. That's what I'll always think about in regards to that game.

I think you are right about this idiotic deferral strategy. It's what moron coaches do to try to convince people that they are clever, sort of like calling a timeout just before the other team snaps the ball on a field goal attempt.

You did not mention that in the Miami game, after the Bills deferred, the Dolphins marched the ball down the field and scored an easy touchdown. Then, when the Bills got the ball, after a long drive, they kicked a FG rather than going for it on fourth and goal from the one yard line. In the Chiefs game, they went for it and scored a TD in exactly the same situation. And look at the result.

<_<

You are really grasping at straws here. The opening coin toss and the decision the coach makes has absolutely no effect on the game. You say Jauron sent the message that he doesn't trust his offense. Or maybe he just trusted his defense? And it's my understanding that the majority of coaches choose to defer now that they have the option.

<_<

Some analysis! You've convinced yourself that in a game decided by less than two scores, with the Bills offense closing the game with a fumble, safety, interception, and fumble, that it was the COIN TOSS that lost it?? Wow, talk about grasping at straws, man.

BTW, The Browns deferred on Monday, and just to review- they made their 56 yarder with the wind to their back while our 47 yarder sailed wide...

As for the original post, I guess there's no pleasing people. You managed to B word about him calling a good game, congratulations.

We lost because we gave ourselves the opportunity the start the second half with the ball? <_<

Thats insane. We had the lead and the momentum at halftime. We lost because we failed to make plays in the fourth quarter. You can make the case that the 4th quarter failure was Jauron's fault if you want, but we did not lose because we deferred.

We lost because we gave ourselves the opportunity the start the second half with the ball? <_<

Thats insane. We had the lead and the momentum at halftime. We lost because we failed to make plays in the fourth quarter. You can make the case that the 4th quarter failure was Jauron's fault if you want, but we did not lose because we deferred.

I've always been a believer that a big part of football is the mental aspect. It's a big reason as to why the greatest head coaches in NFL history got to the top. Sometimes it's the littlest of things that can snow ball or have a domino effect.

Do I believe deferring cost them the game? No, I didn't say that it did.

Do I believe it sent the wrong message at the wrong time to a 5-1 team? Yes.

You're a 5-1 team, it's a nice sunny day, you take the damn ball and shove it down your opponents throat. Jauron deferred, the Bills defense folded like a tent, the positive mental part of game was a ghost for the Bills for four straight games and until McKelvin's pick-six in KC.

These are the nuances that Jauron doesn't and will never get. He doesn't understand human emotions. It's a big part of the game and the main reason he will never be a good NFL head coach.

As for the joker that mentioned the Browns deferring and winning, you DO defer when you're coaching a QB on the road in his SECOND START OF HIS CAREER! You guys just don't get the fact that Jauron will always suck as a head football coach.

I've always been a believer that a big part of football is the mental aspect. It's a big reason as to why the greatest head coaches in NFL history got to the top. Sometimes it's the littlest of things that can snow ball or have a domino effect.

You're a 5-1 team, it's a nice sunny day, you take the damn ball and shove it down your opponents throat. Jauron deferred, the Bills defense folded like a tent, the positive mental part of game was a ghost for the Bills for four straight games and until McKelvin's pick-six in KC.

These are the nuances that Jauron doesn't and will never get. He doesn't understand human emotions. It's a big part of the game and the main reason he will never be a good NFL head coach.

As for the joker that mentioned the Browns deferring and winning, you DO defer when you're coaching a QB on the road in his SECOND START OF HIS CAREER! You guys just don't get the fact that Jauron will always suck as a head football coach.

How well do you think you know Dick Jauron? Your relationship with him is the same as all of ours. We watch him coach a football game once a week and then he gives a press conference. And you have the audacity to say something like "he doesn't understand human emotion"???? There are people I've known my entire life that I don't know such intimate details about. I love how you think you know what is going through everybody's head, your ego must be huge.

How well do you think you know Dick Jauron? Your relationship with him is the same as all of ours. We watch him coach a football game once a week and then he gives a press conference. And you have the audacity to say something like "he doesn't understand human emotion"???? There are people I've known my entire life that I don't know such intimate details about. I love how you think you know what is going through everybody's head, your ego must be huge.

I can only go by his head scratching decisions like being a 5-1 team and deferring on that nice and sunny game down in Miami. I do not know what's going on in Dick's head nor do I want or wish to ever want to know what's going on in Dick's brain. It's my IMPRESSION that he does not read people very well, doesn't understand human psychology and it's one of the many factors he sucks as a head coach.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...8&week=REG8

Please explain how deferring and going down 7-0 killed the Bills, when we took the second half kickoff (which we deferred to get) and marched right down the field to take a 16-7 lead.

Then again, no one expects common sense to come from you. Deferring gets you the potential for an extra drive in the second half when the game is on the line. Plus, lots of teams want to open up the game on defense to set the tone for the game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...8&week=REG8

Please explain how deferring and going down 7-0 killed the Bills, when we took the second half kickoff (which we deferred to get) and marched right down the field to take a 16-7 lead.

Then again, no one expects common sense to come from you. Deferring gets you the potential for an extra drive in the second half when the game is on the line. Plus, lots of teams want to open up the game on defense to set the tone for the game.

I never said it killed them. You have serious reading comprehension problems.

So you don't think that putting it in the hands of the defense and forcing a turnover or three and out can be equally as good?

Unless extreme weather is a mitigating factor, I always would defer and take the choice in the second half

Well the problem is you won't let anybody argue against your point using reason, because you don't use any reason when making your point. Your opinion on the matter is based on you perceiving some mental alteration among the players, which you have zero evidence for.

So you don't think that putting it in the hands of the defense and forcing a turnover or three and out can be equally as good?

Unless extreme weather is a mitigating factor, I always would defer and take the choice in the second half

Yes I do, but that time and place was a very bad decision to defer in.

The reasons I defer is...

Bad weather conditions

Night game on the road

My team has a horrible offense

The opposing team has a horrible offense

I have a dominating defense

The other team has a dominating defense

...there are probably a few others, but when the Bills come rolling into town at 5-1 on a nice sunny day and hand over the first possession to the Dolphins. I seriously think that since that one decision things never got truly right with the Bills until yesterday's game. It didn't cost them the game or the season, it just sent the negativity ball in motion.

Winning the coin toss and then giving the OTHER team the first chance to score is idiotic. As far as I am concerned, when the ball is placed in your hands, YOU TAKE IT!

Every

Single

Time

Just Curious, did you agree with Herm Edwards 2 pt try to win two weeks ago?

Yes I do, but that time and place was a very bad decision to defer in.

The reasons I defer is...

Bad weather conditions

Night game on the road

My team has a horrible offense

The opposing team has a horrible offense

I have a dominating defense

The other team has a dominating defense

...there are probably a few others, but when the Bills come rolling into town at 5-1 on a nice sunny day and hand over the first possession to the Dolphins. I seriously think that since that one decision things never got truly right with the Bills until yesterday's game. It didn't cost them the game or the season, it just sent the negativity ball in motion.

So that leaves ONE reason not to defer: the weather's nice.

But since you included The Bills/their opponents having good/bad defenses/offenses, you pretty much admitted you'd defer in any scenario, regardless of the weather.

Too cute!

Winning the coin toss and then giving the OTHER team the first chance to score is idiotic. As far as I am concerned, when the ball is placed in your hands, YOU TAKE IT!

Every

Single

Time

Cannot disagree. Then you add into the equation the success the Bills have had returning kicks and that decision is all the more assinine.

Rock=Truth

So that leaves ONE reason not to defer: the weather's nice.

But since you included The Bills/their opponents having good/bad defenses/offenses, you pretty much admitted you'd defer in any scenario, regardless of the weather.

Too cute!

No so. In the early 1990's I probably would have wanted the ball first- if you have a dominant offense, you want to set the tone with that.

If both teams are mediocre, as was the case with the Monday night game- or the Miami game, I would defer. My reasoning for this is that early in the game, there is a feeling out process. Let the other team have the ball for that- or let them choose and endzone, which is the equivalent of a turnover (see our game vs the Jets in 1995, when Parcells did this).

If the weather is excessively bad, I think I would probably defer, based on the fact that it will bog down the offenses, but I would have to consider who I was playing, particularly if they had a strong running game.

You said it lead to their inability tp put miami away, or it gave miami a mental edge. Good teams get their D out there first, stop the opposition, and take over from there. Not to mention that fact that YOU HAVE THE CHANCE FOR AN EXTRA POSSESSION IN THE SECOND HALF when you defer.

So tell me, would miami have been quaking if we took the opening kickoff, drove all the way down the field (like we did on our 1st drive), and then settled for 3, like we did on our first drive? the 3-0 deficit would have been so demoralizing for miami that we would have won?

Your asinine lahjik lacks one simple thing. Common sense. That game was lost in quarter #4, with our final 5 possessions results in 4 TOs and a safety. It had nothing to do with deferring. Tell the damn defense to stop a team.

No so. In the early 1990's I probably would have wanted the ball first- if you have a dominant offense, you want to set the tone with that.

If both teams are mediocre, as was the case with the Monday night game- or the Miami game, I would defer. My reasoning for this is that early in the game, there is a feeling out process. Let the other team have the ball for that- or let them choose and endzone, which is the equivalent of a turnover (see our game vs the Jets in 1995, when Parcells did this).

If the weather is excessively bad, I think I would probably defer, based on the fact that it will bog down the offenses, but I would have to consider who I was playing, particularly if they had a strong running game.

Okay, but the bottom line is, you can always make a justification for deferring. It's the most rational thing to do, in ANY circumstance, from what I'm reading here.

You said it lead to their inability tp put miami away, or it gave miami a mental edge. Good teams get their D out there first, stop the opposition, and take over from there. Not to mention that fact that YOU HAVE THE CHANCE FOR AN EXTRA POSSESSION IN THE SECOND HALF when you defer.

So tell me, would miami have been quaking if we took the opening kickoff, drove all the way down the field (like we did on our 1st drive), and then settled for 3, like we did on our first drive? the 3-0 deficit would have been so demoralizing for miami that we would have won?

Your asinine lahjik lacks one simple thing. Common sense. That game was lost in quarter #4, with our final 5 possessions results in 4 TOs and a safety. It had nothing to do with deferring. Tell the damn defense to stop a team.

I said that it was a decision which was one that the Bills did not recover from since yesterday's game. It was a bad decision from a tactical and a psychological standpoint.

They were 5-1 at the time. The day was nice and sunny. Jauron's decision sent a message to his players that they were not going to attack the Dolphins and try to squash them early, but they were instead going to be in a dog fight the whole way through. It was a dumb decision. Know one knows what the Bills would have done on that first possession, but at least he'd have sent a message that we are going to try and take our divisional rivals out early. If they did not so be it, but at least he would have shown himself to be on the right and logical thinking side of coaching. Players respect that their coach trusts them to fire out with a 7-0 lead.

Instead the Dolphins got the 7 points and the Bills never looked like that confident 5-1 team the rest of the way. Regardless of even when the were leading. There was just a bad vibe about that entire game. Just like the bad vibe was sent when he decided that a 47 yard field goal was close enough with over a minute to go, when he slammed Marshawn up the gut and against a wall for 3 straight plays. As an NFL head coach he makes jackass decisions, which is the reason why his team always gets beat by any and every good team that comes along.

Did you know that by deferring you're giving the opposing team's defensive coordinator a whole first halves worth of film to study from? One of the advantages of getting the ball first is that you can surprise that team with specific plays gameplanned for maximum impact. They don't know what you're going to do. What, are you going to wait until the second half to break out your surprise plays and packages? That's dumb, the decision to defer in Miami was dumb, Dick Jauron is a dumb head coach.