Trent's stunning & naive public admission

This stunning public admission came from our Stanford-educated QB:

“The hardest thing that is happening to me — this happened early in the season, and it’s happened the past couple of games — is that I’m preparing for defenses that we’re not really getting on Sundays or Monday night and they didn’t really bring the defense that we thought the Browns played against the Broncos,” Edwards said. “That’s what we’re practicing out here on the practice field all week and then we’re facing an entirely different defense...."

Translation (what opposing defensive coordinators heard): "I have neither the experience nor the preparation from my coaches during the week to overcome unexpected wrinkles thrown at me from opposing defenses. If you play a defense that's against the tendencies you've shown on film, you will likely beat us."

In stating this, Trent has inadvertently handed 31 other teams the key to beating the Bills - all you have to do is self-scout your defense, and gameplan against type. Throw something different at the Bills' offense, and you greatly increase your chances of winning.

Thanks Trent - your honesty (naivete?) will keep getting us beat. And you may have just sabotaged your own career. :rolleyes:

This stunning public admission came from our Stanford-educated QB:

“The hardest thing that is happening to me — this happened early in the season, and it’s happened the past couple of games — is that I’m preparing for defenses that we’re not really getting on Sundays or Monday night and they didn’t really bring the defense that we thought the Browns played against the Broncos,”?Edwards said. “That’s what we’re practicing out here on the practice field all week and then we’re facing an entirely different defense...."

Translation (what opposing defensive coordinators heard): "I have neither the experience nor the preparation from my coaches during the week to overcome unexpected wrinkles thrown at me from opposing defenses. If you play a defense that's against the tendencies you've shown on film, you will likely beat us."

In stating this, Trent has inadvertently handed 31 other teams the key to beating the Bills - all you have to do is self-scout your defense, and gameplan against type. Throw something different at the Bills' offense, and you greatly increase your chances of winning.

Thanks Trent - your honesty (naivete?) will keep getting us beat. And you may have just sabotaged your own career. :rolleyes:

Please. Do you think he said one thing that any professional observer didn't already know? Neither stunning, not naive.

And your translation, well, I don't know what you were translating, but it wasn't what Trent said. Do you think it is a surprise to anybody that young QBs often have trouble with defensive changes or new looks? I don't know anyone who would be surprised by this, I really don't.

Why do you think that the Browns didn't run their base defense last week? Because they have seen three teams in a row use the same basic strategy against the Bills and Trent and have noticed that the Bills couldn't adjust and beat it. They didn't pull brand new defenses out of the air. They used variations of the defenses that the Dolphins, Jets and Pats used, dropping lots of guys into coverage on passing downs, and whipped the Bills with. The Bills will see this same thing again and again and again until they beat it.

I gotta believe coaches already do this. I don't think he gave away anything.

I agree. All teams scout their opponents and set their game plans accordingly. They also throw in different formations, stunts, coverages and coverage shells to confuse their opponents. Trent's lips are not as loose as you might think.

Basic football coaching 101

If your opponent has game film on you to study the best way to beat them is to do something different that they have not seen before.

Sounds pretty simple to me and I am not a coach at all. Too bad the Bills coaches can't do this and adjust

Dont forget that there's only so many defensive schemes out there and sooner or later, he'll have them figured out. He isn't a moron like JP, so in the long run, the more that he sees, the better it's going to make him.

I just don't expect him to keep making the mistakes that he's been making throughout his career. It's normal for young QB's to look short and make turnovers. The problem comes when he's in his 3rd or 4th year and he's still making them, but I don't think that will happen.

Trent's excuse still doesn't explain missing wide open receivers. You see a guy open, regardless of what defense you EXPECTED to see, and you throw it to him. How are the coaches supposed to prepare you for that?

Dont forget that there's only so many defensive schemes out there and sooner or later, he'll have them figured out. He isn't a moron like JP, so in the long run, the more that he sees, the better it's going to make him.

I just don't expect him to keep making the mistakes that he's been making throughout his career. It's normal for young QB's to look short and make turnovers. The problem comes when he's in his 3rd or 4th year and he's still making them, but I don't think that will happen.

One particular breed of moron is the guy who knows something that isn't true.

I think it largely comes down to Trent just lacking the experience. He's still in his 2nd season and he wasn't the starter all of last season, either, so he is still learning on-the-job. The adjustments will naturally come a little bit slower to a young QB as opposed to a seasoned veteran like Brent Farve or Peyotn Manning. And even these guys still throw their share of picks. Trent will continue to improve over the long haul. The Bills need to just stay with him. He looked great at the end of the Browns game -- like he had finally figured out the defense, but then the coaches didn't let him throw to get Lindell in better FG position.

The coaches are coaching scared. I also question just how well the coaches are preparing Trent.

I'm not bothered by how Trent's statement sounds to the other coaches in the league, but I do think it gives us a good clue to his current struggles.

He's overthinking, pressing, trying TOO hard to break himself out of this slump instead of trusting his instincts.

Just my opinion ...

I had similar thought after reading that piece, then I realized the other coaching staffs have figured out the stupidity of our staff. Doesn't really reflect on Trent as he is just stating the obvious, seems we're not capable of making adjustments in the first qt.

Agreed. I think it's pretty obvious that the Bills offense has been figured out by the rest of the league. They are below the league average in every key offensive category and rank 24th overall. That might be enough if they had an oustanding defense, but they are at least a top notch DE + a healthy Schobal/Greer/Whitner away from that.

Agreed. I think it's pretty obvious that the Bills offense has been figured out by the rest of the league. They are below the league average in every key offensive category and rank 24th overall. That might be enough if they had an oustanding defense, but they are at least a top notch DE + a healthy Schobal/Greer/Whitner away from that.

They've figured-out that the QB can't hit open receivers?

I love that Trent came out and said this. He is pointing out our coaches inability to coach. He is now forceing our coaches hand. Either change up the gameplan and mix up the playcalling, or your playing right into the defenses hand. Good job Trent.

This is the NFL. I you see someone open, more than 90% of the time its already too late. It is more about timeing. Both of Trent's non-tipped picks Monday night were late throws/reads. The recievers where open, but the D reacts and the WR is only open for a fraction of a second, and Trent threw it too late. There were maybe 2 throws where the WR was open for blow coverage and he didn't hit those, one to Lee and one to Stevie J. Its more a matter of timeing not finding an open WR.