JP and Jim Plunkett

nuklz2594

Could JP become the next Jim Plunkett? Plunkett was a Heisman winner and drafted by the sorry Pats way back when. we all know JP has a cannon for a arm. Does anyone think if JP went to team with a vertical passing game instead whatever we are trying to run, would he succeed? Look at Collins leading the Titans. Guy was dumber than a box of rocks earlier in his career. Perhaps JP just needs a big slab of humble pie and a dose of maturity to get himself jump started. I am not JP loyalist. I just have this feeling that losing JP after the goatf@#k he went through in previous coaches, will come back and bite us.

Your thoughts--be gentle

I think we have a comparison in our own history in the Kemp/Lamonica situation. Darryl LaMonica was traded to Oakland, where the "mad bomber" threw his way into stardom and the superbowl. Great arm, the team committed to the "smarter" but less talented guy, Kemp (no disparagement of Kemp who was a fine qb...just a comment on his style.). JP might be quite successful elsewhere.

Could JP become the next Jim Plunkett? Plunkett was a Heisman winner and drafted by the sorry Pats way back when. we all know JP has a cannon for a arm. Does anyone think if JP went to team with a vertical passing game instead whatever we are trying to run, would he succeed? Look at Collins leading the Titans. Guy was dumber than a box of rocks earlier in his career. Perhaps JP just needs a big slab of humble pie and a dose of maturity to get himself jump started. I am not JP loyalist. I just have this feeling that losing JP after the goatf@#k he went through in previous coaches, will come back and bite us.

Your thoughts--be gentle

Plunkett was beat so badly on those pats* teams that he was battered & bruised in body and mind. IMO he always had 'it' but he never had a chance to show 'it' in ne*. He went to Oakland and had a chance to rest and recover physically as well as mentally. He played behind a very good offensive line and was very successful.

JP on the other hand appears to have the physical tools but he hasn't been able to translate that into consistent high level play in the NFL. He hasn't played on good teams, but he did not take the beating Plunkett did. Still...for comparisons sake...could Losman become successful elsewhere? I think he could.

If he say landed with Vikings...slightly tweaking the offense philosophy to Maxout on JP's strengths...Alot of people on this board will be eating crow

And if he does go somewhere else and play well, most here will still refuse to acknowledge it.

I think he'll go somewhere else where they're smart enough to build the offense around him, and he'll do well.

I met a friend of JP's a couple of weeks ago. His opinion was that Trent is the better QB.

He would not tell me what's up with JP's beard except to agree that it was not one of JP's better decisions.

:-)

It's impossible to know for sure, obviously.

But I think he has a decent chance. It will really depend on the situation, though, as does the development of most young QBs.

I think Carr might have been really good, but the Texans simply refused to build an o-line for the guy and they turned him into a twitching mess after five years of being mercilessly professionally beaten. Carr is the guy who might be a good comparison to Plunkett. He's a Giant now, a team with an o-line and a running game and an excellent defense. Say he gets another year or two there to get comfortable and Eli gets knocked out for the rest of the year in maybe 2011. I would bet that Carr might do really well.

JP Losman is a polar opposite of Plunkett. Losman went to Tulane after he couldn't win the starter's job at UCLA and had to back up Patrick Ramsey for two years. Plunkett played 4 years at Stanford, set conference records, won the Rose Bowl in his senior year, and won the Heisman trophy, among other accolades.

Plunkett's career as a pro wasn't great by any means except for two Super Bowl victories. Plunkett earned MVP honors in the 1980 Super Bowl, but he wasn't particularly impressive - he just happened to throw 3 touchdowns. The first one was a 2-yard pass to Cliff Branch after a short-field turnover. The second was the famous "sideline pass" where Kenny King did all of the work, running 60+ yards with the ball for a touchdown. The MVP of the game was really the Raiders' defense, who forced Eagles' QB Ron "Jaws" Jaworski into four turnovers, including 3 picks.

In 14 years, Plunkett never threw for 3000 yards or more than 20 touchdowns in a season for any team. His best TD-INT ratio came in his final season, where it was 14:9; for his career it was 80:81. His career record as a starter was 72-72.

Losman does not have the college pedigree to be able to hang on like Plunkett did unless he starts for another team quickly, and performs very well immediately.

Your thoughts--be gentle

JP has always had a bad habit of staying in the pocket, waiting for receivers to get open 20+ yards downfield. It's one thing to have a cannon for an arm, but it's another thing entirely to have the game smarts to take what the defense gives you. If he had a platoon of burners for receivers AND the time to throw, things might be different. But he doesn't and they aren't. Plenty of rocket armed quarterbacks are in other lines of work.

If he say landed with Vikings...slightly tweaking the offense philosophy to Maxout on JP's strengths...Alot of people on this board will be eating crow
Look at K.C.Chiefs they change they're offense to the same offense Thigpen played in college and look how he played the last couple weeks.Also look at Kyle Orton,Chicago added some of Purdues plays to they're gameplan,spread offense to make Orton more comfortable with the offense.Orton looks like a differant QB.Why can't Buffalo do the same?

Your thoughts--be gentle

Well I don't know where you get the idea that he went through a goatf@#k from previous coaches.

That didn't happen. (his personal life might be another story)

They rolled out the red carpet for Losman and it turns out that his talent was never deserving of it to begin with.

It was a mistake.

He was a mistake.

And Losman ended up costing a lot of coaches their jobs and wasted the time and money of a lot of fans.

It's really unfortunate.

He won't become another Plunkett.

In fact he might never take another snap in the NFL.

JP has always had a bad habit of staying in the pocket, waiting for receivers to get open 20+ yards downfield. It's one thing to have a cannon for an arm, but it's another thing entirely to have the game smarts to take what the defense gives you. If he had a platoon of burners for receivers AND the time to throw, things might be different. But he doesn't and they aren't. Plenty of rocket armed quarterbacks are in other lines of work.

JP is not a flat footed statue. The COACHES wanted JP to stay in the pocket. With PROPER coaching playing to JP's strengths, in the future I think you will see JP roll out & throw (something he does VERY WELL) often enough to keep defenses off guard.

Plunkett was beat so badly on those pats* teams that he was battered & bruised in body and mind. IMO he always had 'it' but he never had a chance to show 'it' in ne*. He went to Oakland and had a chance to rest and recover physically as well as mentally. He played behind a very good offensive line and was very successful.

JP on the other hand appears to have the physical tools but he hasn't been able to translate that into consistent high level play in the NFL. He hasn't played on good teams, but he did not take the beating Plunkett did. Still...for comparisons sake...could Losman become successful elsewhere? I think he could.

Oh we know you do.

We know how much admiration you have for your JP.