Really Concerned

Dr. Trooth

Are we bearing witness to the biggest collapse in Pro Football History?

After 5-1… 10 straight Losses?

Let’s face it folks… after last night’s huge disappointment you have to wonder where this team is going to end up. The one thing that I’m sure struck everyone was Trent’s unwillingness to go downfield with the ball or even see the field. Even more disconcerting than that … after his 3 picks and watching him play into the third quarter, why Jauron would not pull him in favor of JP is unfathomable for an NFL head coach. JP may or may not have made a difference… we’ll never know. I mean really… there are several points to be made by yanking him… be it for a spark, sending a message to Trent that there are consequences for piss poor performance, and to the team… showing, as coach, you are steering the ship, and if a player is playing like dog schitt, you’re gonna sit. If he thinks benching Hardy was sending much of a message… well, he’s as dumb as a box of rocks then.

Anyway, based on what I’ve seen the past several weeks, there’s nothing that could convince me that this team will win any of our remaining games… I’m not being an ass… I’m serious…and here’s where I’m coming from…

SF--- rejuvenated under Singletary. Not the same team… they play with passion. Took Zona to the wall.

KC---seemingly getting better… always tough to beat in Arrowhead and LJ back in the fold.

MIA--- just a fired up group that doesn’t have to worry about the elements in Toronto… plus they spanked the Bills a few weeks back.

JETS--- on the road… can’t run on them, and Trent won’t go downfield on them, nor is the coach willing to attack

DEN--- at mile high. The D is nothing, but the Bills have no O to worry them. Their passing attack is lethal and the Bills pass rush anemic… and they won’t dare blitz Cutler like they did Quinn.

PATS--- what can I say… the Bills are just plain intimidated and afraid of them.

I hate to think it but this looks like a real possibility. And even worse is the thought of Jauron returning for another season, let alone two or three… I just do not see this team coming even remotely close to the next level with him as coach. Please… feel free to convince me otherwise.

It's a possibility but I don't think it's the likely outcome.

Likely losses:

@NYJ

@DEN

NE

50/50:

MIA in Toronto

@KC

SF

I have as little confidence as anyone of this team's ability to pull it together and win, but unless they completely bottom out I don't see a 5-11 future. I think 7-9 is a lot more likely.

Its definitely not the biggest collapse ever. For instance, the 1993 Dolphins started 9-2 and their 1999 team 7-2. Both finished the year at 9-7.

This Bills team is actually performing very similarly to the last couple of years, when they would lose for the first month of the season and then start winning. They had a 5-1 stretch in the middle of last year and a 5-2 stretch during the 2006 season. Both followed poor starts. This year, all that has happened is that the trend has reversed itself, and instead they've started strong and are now fading in the middle of the year. In all three cases, however, the end result looks the same: a 7-8 win season.

The one thing that I’m sure struck everyone was Trent’s unwillingness to go downfield with the ball or even see the field. Even more disconcerting than that … after his 3 picks and watching him play into the third quarter, why Jauron would not pull him in favor of JP is unfathomable for an NFL head coach. JP may or may not have made a difference… we’ll never know. I mean really… there are several points to be made by yanking him… be it for a spark, sending a message to Trent that there are consequences for piss poor performance, and to the team… showing, as coach, you are steering the ship, and if a player is playing like dog schitt, you’re gonna sit. If he thinks benching Hardy was sending much of a message… well, he’s as dumb as a box of rocks then.

I'm a big believer in "continuity" IMHO everyone needs to have a looooooong leash to prove themself or play themself out of a funk. That being said, I agree wholeheartedly with your point that a SOME point we needed to draw the line in the sand. We had to have a coach with the gonads to pull his starting QB and tell him "son, you just don't have it today". What I disagree with is that JP should have been sent in. Once again it's my opinion thet there is no way JP is with us next year ..... and I've seen enough of JP to feel he is NOT our QB of the future. In my opinion Dick should have pulled Trent in the third quarter and sent in Hamden. We were outplaying the Browns in every aspect of the game with the exception of QB .... our O-line was giving Trent hours worth of protection ..... put in the kid we need to know about for next year and see what he can do under pressure to win a game.

Dick didn't have to make it like a "punishment", he needed to convey the message that Trent just didn't have it last night (a fact I think Trent already knew) and he had to make a change for a chance to win the game.

I've never seen a QB totally fall apart the way TE has. Overall this team is not bad,but right now, the QB play is killing them.

That I would agree with. The way Trent Edwards played last night really reminded me of Todd Collins when he was in a Bills uniform. Like Collins, Edwards appeared afraid to attempt anything downfield and instead just dumped everything off to the RBs.

Comparisons to 2003 aren't so funny anymore and are a lot more valid.

Hopefully the comparisons continue and the HC is fired, along with his staff minus April.

I don't think it's a knee-jerk reaction to demand some change be made. Similar to Gregg Williams, DJ has had 3 seasons to rebuild this team and get them to the playoffs. They had two seasons to get things right, and now in Year 3, we're not seeing improvement.

I've never seen a QB totally fall apart the way TE has. Overall this team is not bad,but right now, the QB play is killing them.

TE totally lacks any kind of confidence in himself right now. He no longer he believes he can do anything right. He's just going to have to work through this. But right now that's the worst part of the team. The OL actually had a decent game yesterday.

Are we bearing witness to the biggest collapse in Pro Football History?

After 5-1… 10 straight Losses?

Let’s face it folks… after last night’s huge disappointment you have to wonder where this team is going to end up. The one thing that I’m sure struck everyone was Trent’s unwillingness to go downfield with the ball or even see the field. Even more disconcerting than that … after his 3 picks and watching him play into the third quarter, why Jauron would not pull him in favor of JP is unfathomable for an NFL head coach. JP may or may not have made a difference… we’ll never know. I mean really… there are several points to be made by yanking him… be it for a spark, sending a message to Trent that there are consequences for piss poor performance, and to the team… showing, as coach, you are steering the ship, and if a player is playing like dog schitt, you’re gonna sit. If he thinks benching Hardy was sending much of a message… well, he’s as dumb as a box of rocks then.

Anyway, based on what I’ve seen the past several weeks, there’s nothing that could convince me that this team will win any of our remaining games… I’m not being an ass… I’m serious…and here’s where I’m coming from…

SF--- rejuvenated under Singletary. Not the same team… they play with passion. Took Zona to the wall.

KC---seemingly getting better… always tough to beat in Arrowhead and LJ back in the fold.

MIA--- just a fired up group that doesn’t have to worry about the elements in Toronto… plus they spanked the Bills a few weeks back.

JETS--- on the road… can’t run on them, and Trent won’t go downfield on them, nor is the coach willing to attack

DEN--- at mile high. The D is nothing, but the Bills have no O to worry them. Their passing attack is lethal and the Bills pass rush anemic… and they won’t dare blitz Cutler like they did Quinn.

PATS--- what can I say… the Bills are just plain intimidated and afraid of them.

I hate to think it but this looks like a real possibility. And even worse is the thought of Jauron returning for another season, let alone two or three… I just do not see this team coming even remotely close to the next level with him as coach. Please… feel free to convince me otherwise.

The 1986 Jets began the season 10-1, and then lost all their remaining games. They did make the playoffs, however, first beating KC and then losing in double overtime (yes Donovan...there's that word again) to the Kosars in the game that featured Hall of Fame headcase Mark Gastineau laying some late lumber on Bernie that helped the Browns move in for the tying field goal.

I agree with everything you've said. I have been a bills fan since 1986. I was 12 when the bills won my allegiance and a bigger Bills fan on this earth you could not find. I have been through it all the ups and downs (more downs). I am officially writing off the Buffalo Bills for good. If Mr. Wilson continues to put an inferior overall product on the field year in and year out why should I support this team financially or emotionally for that matter. I planned my life around Buffalo Bills football year in and year out but now my heart has had enough. Rip me if you want but part of me died while sending this post. This is the saddest day in my life. My Beloved Buffalo Bills have broken my heart too many times. If anyone has the means to get this post to Russ Brandon or Even Ralph Wilson himself, as my final wish I wish that this can be read by one of them. My Buffalo red and blue blood has run dry :thumbsup:

We are a 9-7 football team, and that is the reality that I thought when we were 4-0 and I think now that we are 5-5. That doesn't mean we are a lock to finish the season 9-7, but in my minds it means that 10-6 would be some lucky overachieving, 11-5 would be really catching the breaks, 8-8 some disappointing underachieving, and 7-9 a big disappointment.

We have a young talented team that still is not ready. I am very disappointed with Trent's slide, and thought he was worse last night than the numbers indicated. But he is not as bad as he seems now, and he isn't as good as everyone wanted to believe when he was 4-0.

Last night was so frustrating for me as a Bills fan, because in spite of our team's short comings, Trent's disastrous day, and everything else, we still had a chance to beat an inferior opponent at home and move to 6-4, and failed to come up with that one extra play to make it happen. Could have been:

Lindell hitting the FG

Trent finding Lee one time (maybe that last series).

Dockery deciding to blow open a hole for Marshawn in that last series even if they were stacking the box.

Corner actually brushing shoulders with the left tackle on the blitz which would have had him hit Quinn in the pocket and not whiff.

In football terms, when they hit a 56 yarder and you miss a 47 yarder, you shake your head and it didn't go your way, but there are so many individual moments that could have prevented those situations from happening, and that makes it such a disappointing loss, which takes away any real playoff consideration completely (a tough road going in), and puts us in the try to win one game at a time, and add them up only after week 17.

With the playoff dreams crushed (if we get to 7-5 maybe I will watch the standings a little), what matters now is playing good confident winning football and trying to win one game at a time and build this core of young talent into winners. But that should have been our approach last night when we played not to lose instead...