Who on the Bills roster HATES losing

Shamrock

No worries. Jauron just told the guys in practice today "Let's correct our mistakes". We're good now.

Yeah, also saw him practicing throwing that little red hanky. Unfortunately he hit Tim Connolly of the sabres accidently in the back and now he's out indefinitely with more spine fractures......

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say:

Whitner

Schobel

Maybe Stroud

Mitchell

I think Butler despite him being powerless to stop it.

That's all I've got.

To be fair to Trent I think he probably hates losing his gloves or his Los Gatos public library card.

I would not put Schobel in there. Did you hear all his bitching in game segment?

he's got a strange way of showing it

Really good topic Shamrock. Unfortunately I can't come up with more than Whitner.

Our good character guys are philosophical and contemplative. We do not have someone willing to rip out the heart of the opposition. We are seriously lacking in nastiness.

Love to have a Ronnie Lott type, a guy called the big cheese.

Whitner, Schobel, Kawika, Moorman, McGee, Greer, Poz, Kyle, Edwards, Lynch, Jauron, Jackson, April, Reed, Corto, DiGiorgio, Wendling, Ellison, Lindell, Stroud, Roscoe, Fewell, Brandon, VanP, Ralph, Denney, Kelsay, the 12th Man...

Those are my first thoughts. The Bills have a lot of heart.

Honestly judging from the last game Ko Simpson and terrence mcgee. Those were the only bills who seemed to give a damn. Simpson laid some very nice hits on Randy Moss, with little fear of being burned deep. Mcgee had good coverage on the most talented wr in the game. It was a mildly refreshing pace, from the 56-10 shellacking they received last year.

I think there is a part of a professional athlete called COMPETITIVENESS that is displayed in different ways. Whitner plants a guy's ass five yards deep in the endzone. Ko repeatedly tries to get fined against Moss. Greer plays harder and harder each snap, Trent decides he needs to learn more about playing at this level, Marshawn doesn't take zero yards on a play, Butler punches a guy in a pile. These guys all hate losing, and they all deal with it differently. They are people too, just like us. Not everyone on this board displays anger the same way, or happiness. They have their ways of dealing with life and what it throws at them just like us. They all hate losing or they wouldn't be professional athletes. The guys who don't give a damn don't get to the NFL because they don't give a damn.

I think there is a part of a professional athlete called COMPETITIVENESS that is displayed in different ways. Whitner plants a guy's ass five yards deep in the endzone. Ko repeatedly tries to get fined against Moss. Greer plays harder and harder each snap, Trent decides he needs to learn more about playing at this level, Marshawn doesn't take zero yards on a play, Butler punches a guy in a pile. These guys all hate losing, and they all deal with it differently. They are people too, just like us. Not everyone on this board displays anger the same way, or happiness. They have their ways of dealing with life and what it throws at them just like us. They all hate losing or they wouldn't be professional athletes. The guys who don't give a damn don't get to the NFL because they don't give a damn.

You took the words right out of my mouth...

What he said.

And once in a while, you get teammates that are so wound up, they get nicknames like Bickering Bills. And then people worry about team chemistry.

Coaches hate losing too. Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride can testify.

Not sure that anyone qualifies - too much "it's hard to get victories in this league." sentiment. Comes from the coach

I HATE that one - almost as much as I hate "we have a chance to win". I'm not saying Jauron should be cocky or provide bulletin board material to the other team, but quit acting and sounding so tentative! This mindset definitely rubs off on the team.

As cerebral as Marv was (not that I'm a Marv fan by any means), he at least understood that a little fire once in awhile was a good thing.

Ko Simpson took a "late hit" penalty that was almost the Bills "play of the game"! :wallbash:

There needs to be some intimidation. If I am a cornerback or safety, I want the receiver looking for ME as much as the ball. If you are in my zone, you better be wearing my colors, or you will pay the dues.

I was just thinking about this topic and trying to think of a veteran with fire in his eyes to ignite his teammates, and was having a hard time. You do not have be the bickering bills on one extreme or heads down shoelace gazers on the bench at the other.

The middle ground is a player or two pumping the team up: Head knocking with helmets, egging on the home team crowd, tossing in a teeth rattling legal hit (especially when it is not needed), slapping a player who makes a mistake on the helment and assure him "you'll get another chance", and even grabbing the lapels of a kid who is wetting his pants and tell him to man up! This is not college!

With some of the borderline late hits on Trent Edwards in the Pats game, I would have been OK with a rumble that caused ejections or fines. You dont do that to my Quarterback! That is how he got a concussion.

It is OK for the OL to tell Trent, OK - that time we gave you 6 seconds - get rid of the ball!

Which game was it (a Q4 comeback) where the Bills scored, and Trent walked up and down the D bench pumping them up to get him the ball back? I want to see that again!

I am fine with Jauron being granite faced when the team needs to be stable, but when the team need a boost - SHOUT at someone! Remind them all why they are there!

As Hank Stram said (paraphrase of what he said to a ref who blew a call) "NFL stands for Not For Long" if you keep playing like that!

I think 1-4 in the last five games ought to piss SOMEONE off!

Go Bills. Looking at the whole AFC, it ain't over after!

I HATE that one - almost as much as I hate "we have a chance to win". I'm not saying Jauron should be cocky or provide bulletin board material to the other team, but quit acting and sounding so tentative! This mindset definitely rubs off on the team.

As cerebral as Marv was (not that I'm a Marv fan by any means), he at least understood that a little fire once in awhile was a good thing.

Explain.

Was talking with a friend and he mentioned that teams generally have to have a good nucleus of guys that HATE freakin' losing and this attitude rubs off. Not just being unhappy with losing, but are PI$$ED off with being beat, it's an insult. So i got thinking, which players on the Bills despise losing, or seem driven to winning...

This is an excellent post and an excellent question.

Jauron has an almost hippy-ish "everything will be okay" kind of approach to coaching and I think that this translates its way into the play and dedication of his players. As long as a player tries hard and promises to work on his mistakes it'll be okay, we'll get through this.

How many other coaches would continue to allow this type of play from an offensive line? a backfield? a QB? a TE? a secondary? I believe that other coaches would show some fire and have the simple realization that this team is slipping away.

There seems to be no repercussions for terrible play, look at Robert Royal, Jason Peters, Derrick Dockery, etc etc etc. (the list is huge at this point) Anyone think that maybe these guys need to sit for a game and feel a bit of embarrassment and shame for playing like garbage?

Dick Jauron has the amazing ability to take a team of backups (last year) and lead them into medocrity, he also has the amazing ability to take a team of talented players (this year) and lead them into mediocrity. Can't knock him for consistency I guess.

He aims for steady which in the NFl translates into 7-9 or 8-8. He's not complaining though, just straight getting paid.

Explain.

- Rode an all-star roster (or should I say multi-Hall of Famer roster?) to 4 SB's.

- Was outcoached in 4 SB's - the game that above all others, is the test of your coaching and scheming.

- Lousy GM with consistently poor free agent pickups.

- As GM, more interested in commercial endorsements and talking to the little orange dude in the locker room than making the team better. Do you know of ANY GM on ANY team in ANY sport who had more commercial exposure during his tenure?

judging from Pro football weekly. Just Whitner

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...+It/default.htm

Buffalo

Nov. 13, 2008 By Matt Sohn

Bills' lack of inspiring leadership holding them back

Coaches often stress the importance of not getting too high or too low in response to whatever situation a team finds itself in. Dick Jauron and the Bills are doing that well … too well, in fact. In talking to sources close to the club, the lack of emotion and fiery leadership both on the coaching staff and on the roster is keeping Buffalo from escaping the doldrums of their three-game losing streak. After being praised for his calm in the pocket in a terrifically efficient start to the season, Trent Edwards' measured stoicism has reflected the offensive stagnation he has directed. Meanwhile, Donte Whitner's absence with a shoulder injury has left the defense without more than just it's most talented defensive back. “Donte's really the only guy this team can rally around,” one source said. “Without him, there's nobody on this team who will make sure you're busting your tail out there.”