veterans! what was the most important thing

loyal2dagame

I took the USAF core values with me after my 4 year stint.... integrity, service before self, and excellence in all we do. that and an understanding of the word BROTHERHOOD.

I agree, the feeling of being a part of something is a big thing for me, and the core values stick with me while i continue serving

I tip my hat to all the guys located at our firebases in AF and IQ.

I did 8 deployments (sea) and 4 on the ground. (AF/IQ and 2 in Bosina) and im proud of every one! I did my best and always knew my fellow brother had my back.

I thank everyone on this board who supported me and wrote me letters and stuff while I was gone and out there. Next year, I retire. Im going to have my retirement done in Buffalo at a home game. It will be the hardest day of my life...

Most important thing: sense of doing something that actually mattered, invaluable job experience that has helped since I left active duty and a group of friends that I'll have for life and were there for me during some really trying times.

Least important thing: About 17 different "official" Air Force uniform combinations that changed with each chief of staff change. This was especially popular during McPeak's tenure. :devil:

For me, besides the core values of "Honor, Courage and Committment" it's pride. The pride to be a Marine, pride to do what's right and the brotherhood that is our bond. The pride of serving, not only in peacetime but also in a war zone. The pride of humanitarian efforts in helping those that needed it. The pride of knowing that I'm a part of the best fighting force in the world. When I saw the Commandant's message at our birthday ball and saw all the sacrifices of those that have come before me it brought a tear to my eye and reminded me of why I do this. It's easy to forget sometimes when the job gets you down. My time in the Marine Corps will be ending soon but it will always be the best thing I could've done with my life and the 20+ years I will have served will be my proudest accomplishment ever.

For me, besides the core values of "Honor, Courage and Committment" it's pride. The pride to be a Marine, pride to do what's right and the brotherhood that is our bond. The pride of serving, not only in peacetime but also in a war zone. The pride of humanitarian efforts in helping those that needed it. The pride of knowing that I'm a part of the best fighting force in the world. When I saw the Commandant's message at our birthday ball and saw all the sacrifices of those that have come before me it brought a tear to my eye and reminded me of why I do this. It's easy to forget sometimes when the job gets you down. My time in the Marine Corps will be ending soon but it will always be the best thing I could've done with my life and the 20+ years I will have served will be my proudest accomplishment ever.

spoken like a true Marine..... as a current AF member i tip my hat to you Marines, you do the down and dirty work that most people can't or won't do it and do it without complaining. Semper Fi to all Marines this day and a huge thank you to those who served before and will continue to serve in the future

I would echo all the above comments. Including the McPeak one, lol.

I also took away some pretty #@(*#$ colorful language.

But the most important thing to me is the confidence and strength that, no matter what happens, I can adapt and overcome.

"I'm in a world of sh--... yes. But I am alive. And I am not afraid."

You it is interesting that you bring this up.

I have been away from the Air Force for around 10 years. I decided to go back and finish up my military retirement through the guard.

to tell the truth......somewhere along the way I have gotten much softer then when I was in.....because I was given a hard time by the security policwoman for not having some sort of #ullshit paperwork and immediately starting thinking "what a freaking dike"

Back in the day.....that would have just been another day on the job.....so I guess being in the military made me a lot more mentally tough. Some of my best freindships came from there.

Speaking for two uncles (one who was in graves registration --- an MOS with an extraordinarily high post-war suicide rate) and several other Vietnam-era vets I've worked for/with, and a brother who did a stint in Bosnia and 3 tours in the GWOT --- the most important thing they took from their service was PTSD.

Speaking for two uncles (one who was in graves registration --- an MOS with an extraordinarily high post-war suicide rate) and several other Vietnam-era vets I've worked for/with, and a brother who did a stint in Bosnia and 3 tours in the GWOT --- the most important thing they took from their service was PTSD.

That's tough. Must be a pretty lonely thing to deal with. I worked with a kid once that had been treated so badly in foster care he just couldn't sleep because he would just start dreaming about the abuse when he did. Kid walked around in a constant fog

The Marine Corps saved this punk kids life. Without the kick in the arse it gave me I have no doubt I wouldn't be the person I am today. Although my family and I made many sacrifices throughout my career, I got back tenfold in intangibles through my service with great Americans and by embracing the Core Values and culture of Esprit de Corps.

I could go on for pages about how much I learned during my time in. But one of the things I also learned is not to be late...and I must leave for work- to be 15 minutes early! :blink:

But the most important thing to me is the confidence and strength that, no matter what happens, I can adapt and overcome
I think that is the most important thing I got out of it...No matter how bad it looks...I can achieve anything. just the self confidence from knowing you can't quit.

If you're 15 minutes early you're on time, if you're on time you're late!
Ha..I've been out going on 5 years and still live by that.

If you're 15 minutes early you're on time, if you're on time you're late! :wacko:

I remember my TI telling us almost those exact words. :wallbash: The military was a very good experience for me. Discipline, hard work and just meeting so many different people from all over the country. It was a multi-cultural experience that the guys who were my friends that didn't leave Buffalo didn't get.