California

Proposition 8 - the same-sex marriage ban - passed overwhelmingly:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../BA3B13UM63.DTL

This issue, by itself, is news. But it's fun to read the comments at the bottom of the article - it makes this board look like Mensa in comparison:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/comm...M63.DTL&o=1

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Utterly amazing how stupid people are. Similar measures passed in other states too.

How can anyone care so much about calling a marriage between same sex people marriage that they would deny it to them?

It's not the end of the world. It's not a huge issue. But it bothers me that so many people are eager to go on record as bigots on an issue that doesn't affect them AT ALL.

Utterly amazing how stupid people are. Similar measures passed in other states too.

How can anyone care so much about calling a marriage between same sex people marriage that they would deny it to them?

It's not the end of the world. It's not a huge issue. But it bothers me that so many people are eager to go on record as bigots on an issue that doesn't affect them AT ALL.

I just can't wait until the day that those who are bigoted against gays are looked upon in the same negative light as those who are bigoted against blacks and women. People seem to think it's ok to discriminate against homosexuals and society has not done a good enough job of telling them they are wrong. Back in the 60's, it was the same with black people. It was ok to be a bigot. It was just their opinion. Today, it is not tolerated. Perhaps 30, maybe 40 years from today, it will be the same story with homosexuals.

Hey, maybe in a few decades we will see our first openly gay President. Now that would be a big moment.

The problem with the proposal was that it left the door open for gay marriage to be taught at the elementary school level. I was skeptical of that loophole because I personally have no problem with gays marrying provided they are held to the divorce laws as well. But that loophole does, in fact, exist, and given the extremely liberal nature of this state, I wasn't in the mood to see if they'll test that loophole. The question ultimately became: "Are you okay having your five-year-old taught about gay marriage in school?"

Saying "no" to that question doesn't make me stupid.

The problem with the proposal was that it left the door open for gay marriage to be taught at the elementary school level. I was skeptical of that loophole because I personally have no problem with gays marrying provided they are held to the divorce laws as well. But that loophole does, in fact, exist, and given the extremely liberal nature of this state, I wasn't in the mood to see if they'll test that loophole. The question ultimately became: "Are you okay having your five-year-old taught about gay marriage in school?"

.......or a bigot.

Great points, LA.

I just can't wait until the day that those who are bigoted against gays are looked upon in the same negative light as those who are bigoted against blacks and women. People seem to think it's ok to discriminate against homosexuals and society has not done a good enough job of telling them they are wrong. Back in the 60's, it was the same with black people. It was ok to be a bigot. It was just their opinion. Today, it is not tolerated. Perhaps 30, maybe 40 years from today, it will be the same story with homosexuals.

Hey, maybe in a few decades we will see our first openly gay President. Now that would be a big moment.

Quit talking about the 60's you werent even alive back then.

I hope you realize that the proposition passed only because of the OVERWHELMING support of blacks and latinos.

What the florida bigots dont realize is that along with voting against gay marriage, they also voted against anything else being considered as an "equal" to marriage. Which means that people in a male-female domestic partnership stand a good chance of losing health or other benefits for one or the other partner, because a domestic partnership can no longer be considered "equal" to a marriage when it comes to such matters.

Not trying to be a smartass here. But how, exactly, does marriage, of ANY kind, get taught in public elementary school? Is it like math, history, social studies, marriage, lunch, then science? Are there teachers out there with degrees in marriage education? I'm just trying to imagine how "marriage" becomes part of a curriculum. How was that going to be implemented?

What the florida bigots dont realize is that along with voting against gay marriage, they also voted against anything else being considered as an "equal" to marriage. Which means that people in a male-female domestic partnership stand a good chance of losing health or other benefits for one or the other partner, because a domestic partnership can no longer be considered "equal" to a marriage when it comes to such matters.

What makes you say they don't realize this?

Is there a big male-female domestic partnership movement somewhere? :blink:

Not trying to be a smartass here. But how, exactly, does marriage, of ANY kind, get taught in public elementary school? Is it like math, history, social studies, marriage, lunch, then science? Are there teachers out there with degrees in marriage education? I'm just trying to imagine how "marriage" becomes part of a curriculum. How was that going to be implemented?

I think it falls under "social studies". :blink:

I hope you realize that the proposition passed only because of the OVERWHELMING support of blacks and latinos.

Not surprising since their support would reflect the traditionally strong Judeo/Christian biblical values both groups embrace in large numbers.

Not surprising since their support would reflect the traditionally strong Judeo/Christian biblical values both groups embrace in large numbers.

However, some seem to want to link black oppression to homosexual oppression, yet the black community doesn't seem to see it in the same light. That was my point.

What makes you say they don't realize this?

Is there a big male-female domestic partnership movement somewhere? :blink:

There are quite a few male-female domestic partnerships in florida, especially with all the retirees down here. You get an 85 year old who lost a spouse, doesn't want to get remarried, but is living with someone else. He/she can be covered under their significant others' plan without being married. Hell, FSU allows that policy for their grad students for the school health insurance. That coverage could be gone now.

And how do i know this? Living down here, there have been big fights on the no/yes for amendment 2 for a while,and everyone for banning gay marriage was simply stating "don't let fags get married." Too many bigots down here read the first part of the amendment without bothering to read the second part.

There are quite a few male-female domestic partnerships in florida, especially with all the retirees down here. You get an 85 year old who lost a spouse, doesn't want to get remarried, but is living with someone else. He/she can be covered under their significant others' plan without being married. Hell, FSU allows that policy for their grad students for the school health insurance. That coverage could be gone now.

And how do i know this? Living down here, there have been big fights on the no/yes for amendment 2 for a while,and everyone for banning gay marriage was simply stating "don't let fags get married." Too many bigots down here read the first part of the amendment without bothering to read the second part.

Thanks. I can understand the whole thing about retirees.

I assume the latter part is dismissed, since they would have the option to marry is needed.

Then it's a partnership that should have the same legal rights as partnerships (depending on which one they elect) Laws should not be for convenience. There are many rights, responsibilities and consequences that are part of a "marriage." You can't just strip it down to rights to make it work for a sub segment.

In the end, the battle is about a word. I think there would be far less debate if the issue was about extending the same rights, responsibilities and consequences of a marriage t same sex couples, save the word - marriage. But of course, since gays want and need the word marriage to be legitimized as well, you have a standstill.

What exactly are the connotations of "taught about gay marriage"? Do you mean, like, in history class? Legalized gay marriage would be a big moment in American history, what would be your problem with children learning about it?