The bottom line: The O-line kills everything

I think your post is only half-true. There were several plays that Trent screwed up, and other plays where the o-line was disheartening. The lack of a run game today was an issue, but the Jets are one of the best run-stopping teams in the entire league.

The offense just flat out didn't execute today. Drops by Royal, miscues by Trent, critical wiffs by the O-line. On one play I even saw Trent Edwards step OUT OF PROTECTION and into a sack. That was extremely frustrating.

The whole offense made mistakes today and weren't very sharp. The defense was fairly bad as well, not being able to get off the field on 3rd down.

Offensive miscues and 3rd down defense lost it for us today.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you expect these arguments to work now when these exact same arguments didn't work when JP was laboring and suffering from the exact same team deficiencies? And once again, Trent's pick six had NOTHING to do with either line that I could see. Nor did his two straight sacks he took in the red zone that ultimately led to the missed field goal.

Exactly right and :thumbdown::wallbash::lol::w00t::w00t:

I think your post is only half-true. There were several plays that Trent screwed up, and other plays where the o-line was disheartening. The lack of a run game today was an issue, but the Jets are one of the best run-stopping teams in the entire league.

The offense just flat out didn't execute today. Drops by Royal, miscues by Trent, critical wiffs by the O-line. On one play I even saw Trent Edwards step OUT OF PROTECTION and into a sack. That was extremely frustrating.

The whole offense made mistakes today and weren't very sharp. The defense was fairly bad as well, not being able to get off the fields on 3rd down.

Offensive miscues and 3rd down defense lost it for us today.

Probably the best assessment I've seen yet. The run game is a big overbearing problem, but it did not prevent us from winning today. I don't put a whole lot on the defense. Yeah, it would've been nice to see them come up w/ a stop at the end but giving up 16 points is acceptable.

Probably the best assessment I've seen yet. The run game is a big overbearing problem, but it did not prevent us from winning today. I don't put a whole lot on the defense. Yeah, it would've been nice to see them come up w/ a stop at the end but giving up 16 points is acceptable.

I just don't buy it. The original post was right. We relied too much on Trent and the passing game. Most of the mistakes we made today would have been wiped with an average running attack. It's almost zero-sum: lack of a running game removes options for you and gives them to the other team.

We rushed for 30 yards today and it didn't prevent us from winning? I'd be curious to see how many teams have ever won a game with 30 yards rushing.

It isn't that simple. TE had plenty of time to throw the ball today. He was sitting back there and not getting rid of the ball quick enuff. Did the O line mess that play up?? of course. Is our run blocking atrocious?? yes.

But if TE doesnt make idiot decisions today and get so spaced out in the red zone we still win this game.'

A good chunk of blame goes to Trent. A good chunk goes to the zero run blocking. A good chunk goes to zero the passrush

Tell me how Drew Brees and the Saints are doing? The QB without a rushing game is not a winning team.

Tell me how Drew Brees and the Saints are doing? The QB without a rushing game is not a winning team.

Come on man, Drew Brees is Drew Brees, that's why. Seriously, he has Deuce down there, who forces defenses to play honest. That factor almost got them to a superbowl.

Brady or whoever would be less effective if you have no run game. And we have none. Don't you get it??? If the D knows you can't run, they drop everyone back in pass protection. One-dimensional teams are ineffective.

PTR

Promo I agree if you cant run youre inevitably doomed..But I will argue this.I watched plenty of teams over the years pound the ball all game long then in the 4th qtr bam..They start breaking longer runs and the other teams defense is done game over..We give up on the run way too early..They dont give opur fat offensive line a chance too lean on people all day..Instead they are in retreat mode for 70 percent of the plays going backwards in pass protection..They need to stick with it a whole lot longer than they do..

I just don't buy it. The original post was right. We relied too much on Trent and the passing game. Most of the mistakes we made today would have been wiped with an average running attack. It's almost zero-sum: lack of a running game removes options for you and gives them to the other team.

I agree

Coach Jauron needs to kick some O-line butt into shape and focus on pounding the ball on the ground,If he doesn't the Bills season is over. :thumbsup:

Its BOTH lines that suck. TE had a bad game, but anyone other than Marino needs a running game. It is my opinion Lynch/Jackson represent the Bills most phyisical backfield since Cookie Gilchrist. All they need is a few plays when they can get either of them, but especially Lynch a yard past the line of scrimmage untouched then the other team has hell to pay, but our totally over paid line gives them nothing.

Our DLine is awful. Stroud has disappeared and our ends including Schobel are so light and weak the opposing lineman can just steer them away from the pocket or just stone 'em. Our pass rush looks like little kids reaching over a candy counter. When the Bills needed a stop in the 4TH they just couldn't

Worse yet management has paid these stiffs so much they will likely chose to ride out their contract rather than admitting mistakes were made and moving on.

The Jets were begging to lose today and the Bills refused to let them

You can't win if you can't run the ball. If all you do is pass, then defenses can tee off on you. That is what we are seeing. Nobody respects our run game. All you Peters apologists can start defending that tub of crap right now. Where's Mister-pay-me-like-a-Pro-Bowl-Left-Tackle? Fowler? His head is doing a Linda Blair from rushers going by him. Whittle? I have never seen a lineman who doesn't notice a blitzer run by him by inches...INCHES!! So stop debating over JP/TE. We could have Tom friggin' Brady in there and he would suck just as bad behind our fat tub of dog crap O-line.

PTR

You nailed it. Our O-line cannot run block. What's perplexing is that the pass protection for the most part has been okay. You have to hope that adding a center will make a huge improvement because Peters, Dockery, and Walker are signed long term and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They have all been very average and I'll add Peters has done absolutely nothing to warrant a raise.

Brady or whoever would be less effective if you have no run game. And we have none. Don't you get it??? If the D knows you can't run, they drop everyone back in pass protection. One-dimensional teams are ineffective.

PTR

I agree. Bills run game has sucked cause the O line is still ineffective!

I also agree with your avatar PTR!!

You can't win if you can't run the ball. If all you do is pass, then defenses can tee off on you. That is what we are seeing. Nobody respects our run game. All you Peters apologists can start defending that tub of crap right now. Where's Mister-pay-me-like-a-Pro-Bowl-Left-Tackle? Fowler? His head is doing a Linda Blair from rushers going by him. Whittle? I have never seen a lineman who doesn't notice a blitzer run by him by inches...INCHES!! So stop debating over JP/TE. We could have Tom friggin' Brady in there and he would suck just as bad behind our fat tub of dog crap O-line.

PTR

I agree with you 100%. We are supposed to have the tallest biggest offensive line. Our stinky offensive line is downright putrid.

the Bills with this offensive line are at best just another mediocre team. I like Derek Fine, Seems like the only player who came to work today

Come on man, Drew Brees is Drew Brees, that's why. Seriously, he has Deuce down there, who forces defenses to play honest. That factor almost got them to a superbowl.

Their running game is atrocious and they are 4-4. Brees is all world right now and my point is without a running game the dimensions of TOP is huge.

You nailed it. Our O-line cannot run block. What's perplexing is that the pass protection for the most part has been okay. You have to hope that adding a center will make a huge improvement because Peters, Dockery, and Walker are signed long term and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They have all been very average and I'll add Peters has done absolutely nothing to warrant a raise.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the lineman. I think the coaches are setting them up to fail with a predictable running game that allows the defense to jam the line at the point of attack. On many plays, the linemen are simply outnumbered in the exact area where the play is going. I really think the defense knows nearly every time the Bills are going to run, who's getting the ball and about where the play is going.