Is Lee Evans a #1 WR?

Fingon

Some people on this board have said he is nothing more than a very good #2. What do you think now?

Those are just idiots who assume that a wide receiver who is shorter than average could never be a number 1. They apparently have never heard of Steve Smith or Santana Moss. Evans has always been one of the more potent deep threats in the NFL and over the last two games I think he has been proving himself capable of being a valuable possession receiver at times as well.

Frankly it's nice to see a player receive a sizeable chunk of cash and then start earning the money right away.

Guest dog14787
Some people on this board have said he is nothing more than a very good #2. What do you think now?

I wouldn't trade him for anything and I've always felt that way about Lee Evans. Lee Evans is everything you want in a player and everything you want in a person. :worthy:

The whole #1, #2, #3 thing is a pretty antiquated way of looking at it, imo.

The way you should look at the receiving corps is this:

A) Do you have an elite deep threat?

B) Do you have an elite move-the-chains guy?

C) Do you have one more reliable guy with good hands?

Evans count as A, I think. Reed counts as C. We're still looking for B. Once you have all A B and C together, that's a great receiving corps and you can stand pat.

To me, a #1 receiver is not necessarily a big play guy. He is someone that you count on to get open on 3rd downs and when you need that big touchdown. He makes big plays, but doesn't have to always be your "deep threat" receiver.

Lee Evans is by far our best receiver, but we're not at the point where we can count on him to make plays at crucial times in games. Whether he can or can't do that, I don't know, all I'm saying is I haven't seen that yet. I like a number one receiver to put up numbers like Lee put up last week - a lot of catches. We're used to seeing Lee with 3 or 4 catches a game, and that's not a number 1 receiver IMO.

I think he can be that, though. I feel like he is still learning and always getting better. I've seen a lot of encouraging things from him this season, and he's really grown up. Hopefully he can continue his maturing and develop into that guy I was describing.

To me, a #1 receiver is not necessarily a big play guy. He is someone that you count on to get open on 3rd downs and when you need that big touchdown. He makes big plays, but doesn't have to always be your "deep threat" receiver.

Lee Evans is by far our best receiver, but we're not at the point where we can count on him to make plays at crucial times in games. Whether he can or can't do that, I don't know, all I'm saying is I haven't seen that yet. I like a number one receiver to put up numbers like Lee put up last week - a lot of catches. We're used to seeing Lee with 3 or 4 catches a game, and that's not a number 1 receiver IMO.

I think he can be that, though. I feel like he is still learning and always getting better. I've seen a lot of encouraging things from him this season, and he's really grown up. Hopefully he can continue his maturing and develop into that guy I was describing.

I don't disagree but over the past 2 games, he has 15 receptions for 205 yards and a TD. Those aren't just deep threat stats, they are elite receiver stats. Let's see if he can string together a couple more games like that.

Those are just idiots who assume that a wide receiver who is shorter than average could never be a number 1. They apparently have never heard of Steve Smith or Santana Moss. Evans has always been one of the more potent deep threats in the NFL and over the last two games I think he has been proving himself capable of being a valuable possession receiver at times as well.

Frankly it's nice to see a player receive a sizeable chunk of cash and then start earning the money right away.

I hate to preach, but...would you call someone you barely knew an idiot to their face during a conversation? I doubt you would, so why do it here?

I don't disagree but over the past 2 games, he has 15 receptions for 205 yards and a TD. Those aren't just deep threat stats, they are elite receiver stats. Let's see if he can string together a couple more games like that.

I'm on the same page. 15 rec and 205 yards is elite. The problem is people who claim he isn't a true #1 had legit concerns with his many games at 2-4 catches. No one considers Devery Henderson a true #1, although he is a deep threat.

I'm extremely happy with how Evans has stepped up, but I was slightly worried about that back-up CB one-on-one with Lee and there wasn't separation when there needed to be on several occasions, once two throws in a row that were broken up and one on the replay shows the CB step for step with Lee. Still, I think he's turning the corner. If he can average 5-7 catches and can get 70 yards a game+ that would put him in the upper eschelon of guys.

Didn't I just say that?

Yes...Lee Evans is a legitimate #1 receiver in the NFL. :rolleyes:

My definition of a #1 receiver is the person has to be unquestionably a top 15 receiver in the league. There is no question that Evans fits that bill (pun intended).

No he's not a top 5 receiver in the league, but it can be argued he falls somewhere between 6-15 in the league.

Unfortunately, the Bills haven't had a legitimate #2 receiver since the Eric Moulds/Peerless Price (1st time around) combo about 5-6 years ago. Before that, the last time we had a legit 1-2 combo was the Reed/Lofton era.

The Bills have the following receiving corp:

#1. Evans

#2 (None)

#3 (Reed)

#4 (Parrish)

Unknown: Hardy, Jenkins & Johnson.

Note: I personally believe Johnson could become a talented and dependable #3 in this league. I hate saying it...but Hardy doesn't have #1 or #2 written on him. He is a 3-4 at his best. Jenkins is at best a #5 and stud special teams player.

Absolutely.

If Hardy develops into a very good receiver, watch out. Evans will become a perennial all-pro.