08-09 NBA Season Thread

Anybody else interested in a little basketball discussion throughout the year? I was thinking as b-ball doesn't have its own forum, we could use something like this.

Boy, those Lakers looked good last night. Tough to argue with someone who thinks they're this year's champions...when you combine Kobe with two solid paint players, you get something thats tough to beat.

The Knicks (and the rest of the league) tip off in a couple of hours. Can't wait! :ph34r:

Very pumped about the Sixers. Great, young, athletic team that can do some serious damage over the next few years if a few cards fall in the right places. E Brand gives us the first legit post player since....? Love Thaddeus and Sweet Lou. A deceptively deep team and I'm expecting a 50 win season.

A few random comments:

- Lakers look good. They are the best starting 5 and it's not really close IMO. I have my doubts Boston can repeat what they did last year, but we'll see. If Bynum can work with Gasol and Odom continues to contribute, this should be a 65 game winner and Finals team.

- Very interested to see a healthy Houston team in the playoffs

- Love Toronto's core of JO, Bosh and Calderon. If Bargnani can hike his skirt up a bit, this could be a top 3 team in the East

- I think D'Antoni and Walsh will have NY back in the playoffs inside 3 seasons.

- I think Detroit will fall off a bit

- Excited to see Oden (can you stay healthy son??)

- I wonder if CP3 takes over the league this year.

Another suffering Knicks fan here...cheers to 30 wins and the day Marbury is gone!!!

Say hello to YOUR 1st place New York Knicks. We played three quarters of spectacular ball, and then nearly turned a blowout win into a ridiculous defeat late. D'Antoni was seriously pissed, and after calling a timeout at one point, I believe had to walk away from the team because he couldn't handle himself. Still, 1-0 is 1-0, and thats a talented roster we beat.

I'll tell you, this team is going to be fun to watch. This system is so different than what we've seen here of late. We're going to run, we're going to shoot threes, we're going to move the ball around...imagine actually enjoying a Knicks game, rather than forcing yourself to sit through it.

I'm actually hopeful for 40-45 wins and one of the last playoff spots. We'll see...Isiah ---> D'Antoni instantly makes us markedly better.

Very pumped about the Sixers. Great, young, athletic team that can do some serious damage over the next few years if a few cards fall in the right places. E Brand gives us the first legit post player since....? Love Thaddeus and Sweet Lou. A deceptively deep team and I'm expecting a 50 win season.

A few random comments:

- Lakers look good. They are the best starting 5 and it's not really close IMO. I have my doubts Boston can repeat what they did last year, but we'll see. If Bynum can work with Gasol and Odom continues to contribute, this should be a 65 game winner and Finals team.

- Very interested to see a healthy Houston team in the playoffs

- Love Toronto's core of JO, Bosh and Calderon. If Bargnani can hike his skirt up a bit, this could be a top 3 team in the East

- I think D'Antoni and Walsh will have NY back in the playoffs inside 3 seasons.

- I think Detroit will fall off a bit

- Excited to see Oden (can you stay healthy son??)

- I wonder if CP3 takes over the league this year.

You have every reason to be excited about Philly...if I have to call the NBA Finals today with a gun to my head, give me Lakers/Sixers. Thats quite a foresome they've put together with the other AI, Brand and Dalembert inside, and 'Dre Miller to distribute.

Agreed regarding Boston. Its tough to bring the same fire you had when you won the title when your roster hasn't had any turnover.

If Houston can stay healthy, I'm intrigued by what they've got there. Come playoff time, there may be no better matchup for a Kobe Bryant than Artest. Yao and McGrady must stay on the court.

Apparently, Oden is out once again, this time for 2-4 weeks. Will we ever again see that same player who went 1st overall?

Say hello to YOUR 1st place New York Knicks. We played three quarters of spectacular ball, and then nearly turned a blowout win into a ridiculous defeat late. D'Antoni was seriously pissed, and after calling a timeout at one point, I believe had to walk away from the team because he couldn't handle himself. Still, 1-0 is 1-0, and thats a talented roster we beat.

It would be great to see the Knicks make the playoffs the year after finally dumping one of the biggest assclowns in sports history.

It would be great to see the Knicks make the playoffs the year after finally dumping one of the biggest assclowns in sports history.

Haha one assclown down, one to go. That team will just not be in good shape until Marbury is gone. And don't be fooled by how they put up 120 in this first game. D'Antoni's style of coaching simply leads to a lot of points, but it tends to make a team lax on defense. Don't be surprised to see a lot of these 120-115 type results. The question is, in which direction will the victories be going?

Report: Nuggets send Iverson to Pistons for Billups, McDyess

Interesting. AI doesn't exactly fit the prototype I associate with Detroit. I saw some fantasy writer say he's been going through the motions, knowing he'd be traded soon, fwiw.

I think its a good idea for Detroit to change things up.

Report: Nuggets send Iverson to Pistons for Billups, McDyess

Interesting. AI doesn't exactly fit the prototype I associate with Detroit. I saw some fantasy writer say he's been going through the motions, knowing he'd be traded soon, fwiw.

I think its a good idea for Detroit to change things up.

Billups seemed to go through the motions in the playoffs last year as well...AI and Rip, nice...I'm going to miss McDyess though.

Billups seemed to go through the motions in the playoffs last year as well...AI and Rip, nice...I'm going to miss McDyess though.

Yeah, if you're a Pistons fan McDyess is the one that you ought to be sad to see go. Iverson will be an improvement at point guard over Billups. They're both very talented veterans but AI is just better at creating his own shots and he's also still a very solid defender at this late juncture of his career.

McDyess is a very efficient, high energy player who rebounds very very well, especially when he's pounding the offensive glass. I think he should automatically start over K-Mart in Denver and he'll be a force for years to come.

McDyess is a very efficient, high energy player who rebounds very very well, especially when he's pounding the offensive glass. I think he should automatically start over K-Mart in Denver and he'll be a force for years to come.

I love Dice, but you do know he's 34 years old and has a shredded left knee. He's in the twilight of his career and while he brings a sh-- ton of energy and intangibles, he is a borderline starter.

It's a shame too because before his knee injury, he was like an Amare Stoudemire.

I love Dice, but you do know he's 34 years old and has a shredded left knee. He's in the twilight of his career and while he brings a sh-- ton of energy and intangibles, he is a borderline starter.

It's a shame too because before his knee injury, he was like an Amare Stoudemire.

Dude's 34 years old? I might have McDyess and Jason Maxiell mixed up in my head.

So do you think AI fits in with Detroit? The Pistons' system has always been the furthest away from the me-first sh*t you tend to see around the league, and AI has always had an attitude. He used to get loads of assists, but lately it seems like he's more selfish. On top of that, I don't know what's going to happen to the team's chemistry when you put Iverson and Rasheed Wallace on the same court.

Dude's 34 years old? I might have McDyess and Jason Maxiell mixed up in my head.

So do you think AI fits in with Detroit? The Pistons' system has always been the furthest away from the me-first sh*t you tend to see around the league, and AI has always had an attitude. He used to get loads of assists, but lately it seems like he's more selfish. On top of that, I don't know what's going to happen to the team's chemistry when you put Iverson and Rasheed Wallace on the same court.

2007-2008:

PTs Ast TO

AI 26.4 7.1 3.0

CB 17.0 7.5 2.1

Pretty comparable, 9 pt advantage for AI...which can be huge,especially in the playoffs. Now I hear this is short-term and a set-up to compete in the Lebron sweepstakes...that's kinda exciting.

2007-2008:

PTs Ast TO

AI 26.4 7.1 3.0

CB 17.0 7.5 2.1

Pretty comparable, 9 pt advantage for AI...which can be huge,especially in the playoffs. Now I hear this is short-term and a set-up to compete in the Lebron sweepstakes...that's kinda exciting.

I believe 'Sheed comes off their books as well.

I guess being older this seems funny to me. McDyess was in college around the same time I was and Maxiell could be my kid...if I was a foot taller and black.

How 'bout those Hawks, huh? Unreal.

They have certainly been impressive so far. Just BARELY lost to the world champion celtics 103-102 today, their first loss of the season. Al Horford is going to be a superstar in this league but he's got some learning to do. Guarded by Kevin Garnett today, he only managed 5 points and 3 rebounds despite going for 27 points, 17 rebonds and 6 blocks against Joakim Noah in Chicago the other day. KG is the best defensive power forward in the game, bar none.