08-09 NBA Season Thread

Horford is a stud...the only one of those UF repeaters that has legit star potential. Noah can flap his arms around and yell all he wants, but I can't see him ever becoming more than a useful role player.

Regarding his play tonight, I'm not going to give KG all the credit for that one. Obviously he is a defensive god, but Horford's ineffectiveness tonight was due to foul trouble, plain and simple. Dude picked up 2 quick ones before the 1st quarter was even half over. He sat out the rest of the half. Then he comes in after half time and immediately picks up #3 and then #4 before the quarter is done. Out he goes again. So how does he start the 4th quarter? Immediately fouling Pierce for #5. Back to the bench. I mean, the guy played less than half the game. He did the same thing against Toronto last week. He has to learn to control his fouls. He is a house and a very physical player. Atlanta needs him on the court.

The most impressive thing about Atlanta (IMO) is that they've won without Josh Smith for half the games, and when he did play, he wasn't too hot. I guess they don't miss their Greek God, Josh Childress either. Good to see them playing solid ball. Crazy what a difference a smart, experienced PG makes, huh.

Philly finally won a game worth a sht. Growing pains with Brand have been worse than expected. But they will get on the right track soon enough. Biggest surprise right now is quality play from Speights. I figured he was a year away from contributing. Now if Igodala could attempt to earn half the money we gave him, things will be just fine (although the near trip-double was a good start :blink: ).

Other newsworthy items:

- Lakers handled NO

- Jeff Green gets 25 and 10 for OK

- WILSON CHANDLER gets 27 and 7 for the Knicks??

- SA loses to MIL...god I feel bad for Duncan. Ime Udoka, Roger Mason and George Hill? Wow.

- Utah looks great beating Philly last night and then turns around and loses to Washington? Hmmm..

- Oden played again and managed not to get hurt (Hooray!)

- Dwight Howard gets 1st career trip-dub with 30-19-10....TEN blocks!! What an animal.

Horford is a stud...the only one of those UF repeaters that has legit star potential. Noah can flap his arms around and yell all he wants, but I can't see him ever becoming more than a useful role player.

Regarding his play tonight, I'm not going to give KG all the credit for that one. Obviously he is a defensive god, but Horford's ineffectiveness tonight was due to foul trouble, plain and simple. Dude picked up 2 quick ones before the 1st quarter was even half over. He sat out the rest of the half. Then he comes in after half time and immediately picks up #3 and then #4 before the quarter is done. Out he goes again. So how does he start the 4th quarter? Immediately fouling Pierce for #5. Back to the bench. I mean, the guy played less than half the game. He did the same thing against Toronto last week. He has to learn to control his fouls. He is a house and a very physical player. Atlanta needs him on the court.

The most impressive thing about Atlanta (IMO) is that they've won without Josh Smith for half the games, and when he did play, he wasn't too hot. I guess they don't miss their Greek God, Josh Childress either. Good to see them playing solid ball. Crazy what a difference a smart, experienced PG makes, huh.

Philly finally won a game worth a sht. Growing pains with Brand have been worse than expected. But they will get on the right track soon enough. Biggest surprise right now is quality play from Speights. I figured he was a year away from contributing. Now if Igodala could attempt to earn half the money we gave him, things will be just fine (although the near trip-double was a good start :blink: ).

Other newsworthy items:

- Lakers handled NO

- Jeff Green gets 25 and 10 for OK

- WILSON CHANDLER gets 27 and 7 for the Knicks??

- SA loses to MIL...god I feel bad for Duncan. Ime Udoka, Roger Mason and George Hill? Wow.

- Utah looks great beating Philly last night and then turns around and loses to Washington? Hmmm..

- Oden played again and managed not to get hurt (Hooray!)

- Dwight Howard gets 1st career trip-dub with 30-19-10....TEN blocks!! What an animal.

I've never been sold on Josh Smith. Yes, he's very young and very physically talented. However, he isn't a shooter and I'd be surprised if he ever improves upon his career 44% shooting percentage. For some reason, he's convinced he's a good 3 point shooter but he's one of the worst in the league. On top of that, he's too big to keep at small forward where they have him now, but too small to ever be a dominant power forward.

I have a buddy who's a Knicks fan and he actually predicted a breakout year for Wilson Chandler. I called him crazy and now it looks like I'm going to be eating my words. The dude has serious skill and he's just a ferocious defender.

And what can you say about Dwight Howard? I know he was being defended by the likes of Johan Petro and Robert Swift, but come on? 30 points, 19 rebounds, and 10 blocks? That is straight up insane. I think this is the first of a few MVP years for Howard.

• 2 weeks later...

So...the Knicks.

-Jamal Crawford to Golden State for F/C Al Harrington

-Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins to the Clips for SG Cuttino Mobley and F Tim Thomas

Unlike Crawford and Randolph, the contracts of all three players they acquired will expire after the 2009-10 season. With Marbury coming off the books, they'll have over $50 million in cap space, meaning they can offer the maximum FA contract to two players that year. That 2010 free agent market will consist of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Bosh, Manu Ginobili, Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Tyson Chandler, Richard Jefferson, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Steve Nash and Michael Redd, among others.

Stephen A. Smith went on Sportscenter and called this a "beautiful day" for the Knicks. He said LeBron and others purposely planned out their becoming free agents at the same time, because "they're all friends," and that LeBron saying he's going to go where he can win championships was his way of telling Cleveland he's leaving. A few hours later, I saw Jalen Rose on some ESPN show or other, and he GUARANTEED that both LeBron and Chris Bosh will be Knicks.

Interesting...they've kind of sold away their chances at getting to the playoffs this year in order to make a play two years from now. Am I supposed to feel excited when my team just got so much worse?

Do you think other teams will follow this line of thinking and try to maneuver themselves to be players in 2010? If so, the time to do it is NOW, because once the season ends, those expiring contracts become far more valuable.

So...the Knicks.

-Jamal Crawford to Golden State for F/C Al Harrington

-Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins to the Clips for SG Cuttino Mobley and F Tim Thomas

Unlike Crawford and Randolph, the contracts of all three players they acquired will expire after the 2009-10 season. With Marbury coming off the books, they'll have over $50 million in cap space, meaning they can offer the maximum FA contract to two players that year. That 2010 free agent market will consist of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Bosh, Manu Ginobili, Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Tyson Chandler, Richard Jefferson, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Steve Nash and Michael Redd, among others.

Stephen A. Smith went on Sportscenter and called this a "beautiful day" for the Knicks. He said LeBron and others purposely planned out their becoming free agents at the same time, because "they're all friends," and that LeBron saying he's going to go where he can win championships was his way of telling Cleveland he's leaving. A few hours later, I saw Jalen Rose on some ESPN show or other, and he GUARANTEED that both LeBron and Chris Bosh will be Knicks.

Interesting...they've kind of sold away their chances at getting to the playoffs this year in order to make a play two years from now. Am I supposed to feel excited when my team just got so much worse?

Do you think other teams will follow this line of thinking and try to maneuver themselves to be players in 2010? If so, the time to do it is NOW, because once the season ends, those expiring contracts become far more valuable.

Word on the street is that the Knicks' targets are Lebron and Carlos Boozer (another 2010 guy).