Cottrell out in San Diego

Indy Dave

He has sucked everywhere (Jets, Vikings, Chargers) he's gone since he left the Bills. He's fallen big time since he was a head coaching "hot assistant" candidate back in his Bills days.

OTOH, Norv has excelled as a HC everywhere...Oh, wait...he sucks, too.

To be fair, the Chargers did reach the AFC Championship last year.

Wasn't Ted the DC last year, too?

Marty is a good coach, but once the team is competitive, he HAS to go. The guy simply doesn't get his teams going in the playoffs.

When will the players be held accountable?

They always are. The coach decides who starts, who plays and the GM decides who to extend, who to keep and who to cut.

As long as the NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, it's easy to simply cut a player. But, if you are suggesting that the leaders should be exempt from criticism, as it is all up the to the players, then why even worry who the coach is? Who needs a coach, anyway, if it's all the players?

OTOH, Norv has excelled as a HC everywhere...Oh, wait...he sucks, too.

lol----Norv is mediocre at best at the HC position. Can't believe they hired him there. He is screwing up a team with the best personnel(other than maybe the Cards) in the league.

I don't like the move. First, it's just an attempt to shake things up on an under performing team with Super Bowl aspirations. While I realize the window may be closing for them with LT slowing down a bit, it seemed too hasty. Second, I'm surprised that Norv has this kind of authority, knowing how much of a control freak their GM is after he ran Marty out of town. Third, the injury to Merriman hurt them bad, and may actually be the reason why Ted lot his job. And lastly, Rivera was the architect behind a dominant Bears defense that went to the Super Bowl, earning him "the next head coach of some team" moniker. This didn't pan out and he got a demotion out of it. How is he going to run a 3-4 when he coached a 4-3 in Chicago. Could be an interesting.

They always are. The coach decides who starts, who plays and the GM decides who to extend, who to keep and who to cut.

As long as the NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, it's easy to simply cut a player. But, if you are suggesting that the leaders should be exempt from criticism, as it is all up the to the players, then why even worry who the coach is? Who needs a coach, anyway, if it's all the players?

One might argue that this is exactly what happened on the 1995 Cowboys? Or was it 1994? I can never keep it straight. That year they won the Super Bowl with Barry "Packin' Heat" Switzer as HC. Dean, you and I could have coached that team to the Super Bowl. Okay, you would have coached, and I would have perhaps fluffed the towels, but both of us would have gotten rings. That had NOTHING to do with coaching, and everything to do with an amazing collection of talent.

He has sucked everywhere (Jets, Vikings, Chargers) he's gone since he left the Bills. He's fallen big time since he was a head coaching "hot assistant" candidate back in his Bills days.

He's just another example of how this community overrates its players and coaches.