SF vs. LA

Andrew in CA

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is a better place to live?

• SF
    • LA

To those that live, have lived, or can speak with an informed background regarding San Francisco or Los Angeles, I have a question. I'm applying to law school and really want to go to California. I will most likely get into schools in both these areas. I've been to SF twice and really loved it. I also took a trip to Santa Cruz and Monterey from there and thought it was great. I've never been to LA or Southern California at all, although I hear it gets a bad rap and is actually a cool place. So, if anyone has any advice or input on either place, or especially a comparison, I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I would be there anywhere from 3 years to permanently.

To those that live, have lived, or can speak with an informed background regarding San Francisco or Los Angeles, I have a question. I'm applying to law school and really want to go to California. I will most likely get into schools in both these areas. I've been to SF twice and really loved it. I also took a trip to Santa Cruz and Monterey from there and thought it was great. I've never been to LA or Southern California at all, although I hear it gets a bad rap and is actually a cool place. So, if anyone has any advice or input on either place, or especially a comparison, I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I would be there anywhere from 3 years to permanently.

Whenever I go to LA I'm happy to get back home to the Bay area. Not as congested. Cleaner. Prettier area. A bit greener and not as smoggy. LA is fun in a lot of ways but I would rather live here. For a big city, SF is probably one that I enjoy the most. I don't live in SF but go in there sometimes. Lots to do. If your in to cars, hot rods, classic cars this is the place to be as well. Part of the culture of this area. To me, you cant miss anywhere in California, at least the coastal cities. Of course, the Sharks are in the Bay Area as well. Which is good. Only thing missing here for me is the Bills. IF they were to move the only way I would remain a fan if they were to move to San Jose or something.

I live in LA and think SF is a much better city. It's a lot more expensive overall, IMO. LA has better weather and there is a lot more to do and a lot of different kinds of places and people. The diversity is much better. The people are extremely ego-centric for the most part. SF is a cooler, prettier, nicer city. And if you like "cities" with vibrant downtowns, SF is a far superior place. Incredibly snobby though.

I live in LA and think SF is a much better city. It's a lot more expensive overall, IMO. LA has better weather and there is a lot more to do and a lot of different kinds of places and people. The diversity is much better. The people are extremely ego-centric for the most part. SF is a cooler, prettier, nicer city. And if you like "cities" with vibrant downtowns, SF is a far superior place. Incredibly snobby though.

I will fit righ it. :P

If your talking about SF itself I agree. Too foggy and cool during the summer. It is milder during the winter though. East bay is much warmer during the summer. By East Bay I mean east of the mountains not Oakland. If fact, you may as well be 1000 miles away the climate is so different during the summer even though your only 25 mins away from downtown SF.

Wow, LA is getting killed.

Dante: Thanks for the info. If I do end up at the SF school, I might have to live in Oakland, at least for a little while, because of the housing costs in SF. The climate there doesn't bother me, I like the mild fogginess. Also, in terms of getting outside the city, I've heard that there is some great hiking/kayaking stuff around there. Could you speak to that at all?

Kelly: Thanks for your SoCal input. If I were to go to LA, it would be UCLA or USC- could you speak to those locations at all and even the costs for housing, food, etc. if you have any idea? Although I said I like the SF weather, there's nothing wrong with 80 and sunny, either; however, I'm much more a mountain and lake guy than beach bum.

Chef: What did you think of your time in LA that is soon coming to a close? Are you moving to SF because you're sick of LA or for a job et. al?

Thanks for all the info, and keep it comin. I need as much input as I can get.

Chef: What did you think of your time in LA that is soon coming to a close? Are you moving to SF because you're sick of LA or for a job et. al?

Well I absolutely love OC. It's so different from LA but it's starting to get crowded too. I'm moving to SF because of an opportunity to open up a region for my firm. We don't have an office up in SF and I felt it would be a great place and the Co. agreed. And being a food and wine guy SF is going to be a great place for us. But I'll miss the weather and plan to retire back here in either Palm Springs or the beach area of OC.

I agree completely with everything he says here. I lived in Santa Clara (I know that's not SFO, but it's NoCal) and spent more than my share of time in downtown SFO, and it kicks LA's ass. Plus, you're closer to particularly groovy towns like Monterey, Gilroy, Carmel, etc. On the other hand, in LA, you're close to other beautiful areas like Temecula, La Jolla and San Diego (which kicks all of their asses).

In the end, though, for what it's worth, if you're going after a law degree, it's my understanding you won't have much time to do anything but work your ass off.

Are you moving to SF because you're sick of LA or for a job et. al?

Don't quote me on this, but I think he really prefers the parades in SF. :P:blush:

Dante: Thanks for the info. If I do end up at the SF school, I might have to live in Oakland, at least for a little while, because of the housing costs in SF. The climate there doesn't bother me, I like the mild fogginess. Also, in terms of getting outside the city, I've heard that there is some great hiking/kayaking stuff around there. Could you speak to that at all?

Kelly: Thanks for your SoCal input. If I were to go to LA, it would be UCLA or USC- could you speak to those locations at all and even the costs for housing, food, etc. if you have any idea? Although I said I like the SF weather, there's nothing wrong with 80 and sunny, either; however, I'm much more a mountain and lake guy than beach bum.

UCLA is a beautiful place and campus, in a much better section of the city. And I think a lot cheaper. People are a little cooler, too. USC has incredible women (although UCLA does, too) but it's extremely cliquish. And it's in the middle of one of the worst sections of the city, although the campus is its own little island, and is very nice. Most people that go to either of them love it though. They're both pretty decent academic schools.

lol..man do you have the wrong guy. Spare time watching NHL/Sharks and Bills. Other spare time playing vid games or cooking. Only outdoor activity I do is golf once a week. One outdoor thing I do notice that people do a lot around here is bike riding. That would not be me though.

LA is still gettin killed.

Thanks for all the help. Chef, good luck with your move. LABillz, thanks for the info. Law school will be taking up most of my time, for sure, but hopefully I'll make it out of the library at some point :nana:. Kelly, thanks again for the specific info- I've heard that USC is in the gut, but that most attendees aren't too bothered with it. Dante, thanks for the help- most of my winter is spent watching Bills/Sabres, so I'll be anxious to be in a place where I can get outdoors yearround.

SF is terrific---but it is a bit of a freak show. I live an hour away. I say flip a coin.

If you like to hike or ride a bike on trails, there are tons of areas nearby. What law School in the SF area? If it's Stanford, its about 40 miles south of SF (the western edge of Silicon Valley)

If you like to hike or ride a bike on trails, there are tons of areas nearby. What law School in the SF area? If it's Stanford, its about 40 miles south of SF (the western edge of Silicon Valley)

That's cool, thanks, Wacka. Berkeley is my #1, but my chances aren't too great there. The more realistic school is UC Hastings, located in SF itself. It's in the Tenderloin, if I'm not mistaken, which is a pretty crappy part of town from what I hear. However, much like USC, attendees look past that because of other factors.

San Francisco, for all its faults, is the better city. And I have family in the Bay Area, so I may be a bit biased.

Looks like you're in the majority, LA is getting smoked. Most people I've asked agree, but then again I don't know anyone that's been to LA for more than a layover- isn't quite the tourist hotspot that SF is. I've got a couple friends from college that grew up there and some that live there now, and they all say it's awesome.

That's cool, thanks, Wacka. Berkeley is my #1, but my chances aren't too great there. The more realistic school is UC Hastings, located in SF itself. It's in the Tenderloin, if I'm not mistaken, which is a pretty crappy part of town from what I hear. However, much like USC, attendees look past that because of other factors.

Looks like you're in the majority, LA is getting smoked. Most people I've asked agree, but then again I don't know anyone that's been to LA for more than a layover- isn't quite the tourist hotspot that SF is. I've got a couple friends from college that grew up there and some that live there now, and they all say it's awesome.

A lot of people love LA, and there are a lot of good reasons why (although just as many why it sucks). The reason, however, that SF is smoking LA in the head to head is because SF is without question one of the very top cities in the country.