SF vs. LA

Andrew in CA

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is a better place to live?

• SF
    • LA

Both Berkeley and Hastings are easy to get to, so you don't have to live right near the school. Hastings is on the plaza that City Hall is on . The BART station is only a block away, across the UN Plaza. Just a lot of bums sleeping on the grass on nice days. On rainy days, they are in the City library across the plaza (which requires you to mouth breathe if you have to go there). Bus routes all over the place. They say that in SF the farthest you have to walk is 3 blocks to get a transit route.

In Berkeley, the BART station is also a block away. The Law School is across the street from a main entrance to the school. The Berkeley campus extends up to the top of the ridge behind it.

I've lived in both SF and various areas of the LA area, including Brentwood, Redondo Beach, Long Beach and Manhattan Beach.

Unlike many, I did not dislike LA at all. My best living experience was in Manhattan Beach, just a couple/three blocks from the beach. Walking distance to bars, grocery store (beach, obviously), etc. It was the closest I can to living in a "city" while in SoCal. That is one of the major differences between SF and LA, IMO, is that SF is a city and LA is a bunch of suburbs connected by freeways. But, make no mistake about it, you can do anything and find anything you want in LA...but you better have a car.

The LA attitude is very open, IMO, and "distant friendly". That is, you will meet women who look like the Playmate of the Month on a regular basis and they will talk to you. Hell, they might even sleep with you, but you'll have a better shot if you are in "the business" or can help their careers. These women are not likely to challenge your intellect or be all that interesting. Of course this is a BIG generalization. You can meet beautiful and interesting women in SoCal...it's just less likely, IMO. One more thing. In my experience, and that of many east coast people I have talked with, when you meet someone very cool (man or woman) who you have an instant connection to, there is a very good chance they will be from the east coast.

LA is sunny and warm, most of the time. If you live near the ocean, the smog isn't bad at all. It's mostly White and Mexican, but there are plenty of minorities of all sorts. The politics of LA have more to do with the politics of entertainment, or immigration, than anything else.

SF is a real city, with all the benefits and drawbacks of a city. I think of it as a smaller (much smaller) and gentler NYC. While LA has its different areas, so does SF. One big difference is, in SF, you don't have to have a car, and you can go all over the city, fairly easily. The people in San Fran can be a little snotty (in certain parts), but that is easily overcome as there are so many freaks and people who don't fit into any typical category. The women in SF, in general, seem smarter, more interesting and more challenging than those in SoCal. If you are a straight and single man, you will probably love SF as you will be a commodity. Sit at a bar, and the women will hit on you.

As you probably know, SF is very mixed, racially and idealistically. Many Asians and Italians...that works for me. :nana: Everything is political in SF. There isn't a gay contingent, there are several, and they fight among themselves. The weather is constantly changing. Depending on where you live, you may get a lot of fog and wind, or sun if you live in the right areas. The hottest part of the year, in SF is late September and October, it seems.

So, bottom line is: I liked living in LA (especially Manhattan Beach) and had a great time. But, I don't really miss it. I miss San Francisco every single day.

Thanks for the info, Wacka, I didn't realize public transportation was that convenient. And thanks for the comparison, Dean, really gave me some good info. You make a good case for both, but the more I hear about it, the more SF seems like it's for me.

Thanks for the info, Wacka, I didn't realize public transportation was that convenient. And thanks for the comparison, Dean, really gave me some good info. You make a good case for both, but the more I hear about it, the more SF seems like it's for me.

I don't think you will regret going to SF. As Kelly noted, it is one of the finest cities you will ever go to, or live in. I'm biased, though.