Channel 4 reports the Ballons

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to explain...? Or am I the only person who doesn't know what you're talking about? :lol:

NYSEG said that it was a bunch of mylar helium balloons that sparked the transformer knocking out power at the game yesterday.

A few limo drivers waiting in the designated lot reported to the police that they saw the balloons fly onto the wires and then saw the sparks fly.

NYSEG said that it was a bunch of mylar helium balloons that sparked the transformer knocking out power at the game yesterday.

A few limo drivers waiting in the designated lot reported to the police that they saw the balloons fly onto the wires and then saw the sparks fly.

Oh... I was thinking something like, "Every home game, the limo drivers release a boquet of balloons to celebrate something or other, so of course the balloons came from there!"

Working in the insurance business, the first thing I thought of was when they find out who's balloons they are, they will probably get sued.

Hopefully the vendors inside are insured with business interruption coverage. This would be an interesting case study.

Working in the insurance business, the first thing I thought of was when they find out who's balloons they are, they will probably get sued.

Hopefully the vendors inside are insured with business interruption coverage. This would be an interesting case study.

Ummm , how about covering the damn transformers to start with. They didn't take reasonable care to prevent the problem. We should sue RWS for the outage.

Funny thing is they're trying to outlaw mylar balloons here in CA for just that very reason. I thought is was a dumb law. Now, not so much.

Funny thing is they're trying to outlaw mylar balloons here in CA for just that very reason. I thought is was a dumb law. Now, not so much.

Seriously??? :lol::wallbash:

Once you outlaw mylar balloons, only outlaws will have mylar balloons! :ph34r::ph34r:

Seriously??? :lol::wallbash:

Once you outlaw mylar balloons, only outlaws will have mylar balloons! :ph34r::ph34r:

Yes I'm serious. Only in California.

Power companies say the innocent looking balloons are also great conductors of electricity. If the balloons float into power lines they can cause outages.

Thanks a lot Buffalo. Now this guy can point to this incident and a reason to pass this bill. Seeing they were playing the Chargers this game was televised here locally.

Ummm , how about covering the damn transformers to start with. They didn't take reasonable care to prevent the problem. We should sue New York State Electric & Gas for the outage.

fixed

It also had nothing whatsoever to do with RWS, other than blaming them in hindsight for not having adequate backup generators, which I'm guessing will come up in the future. The transformers and wiring leading up to the "service entrance" of the stadium is 100% within the responsibility of the utility.

Also, covering the transformer has nothing to do with the outage. NYSEG didn't say much besides "mylar balloons got tangled up in the wires", but that infers that wiring shorted out, blowing up the transformers. Is there something that could have prevented that? Not sure, but covering anything doesn't factor in to it.

If you wanna blame someone, rag on CBS, as it appears they had no clue what they were doing during all this.

I saw the whole thing happen. i was waiting to get in the stadium scoreboard endzone side. i saw the balloons flying, about two of them. they flew into the wires, didn't look like it was directly into the transformer (but near it), then BOOM, with some brown smoke.