UFO's...

WWVaBeach

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes back much further then that to ancient cave drawings of ufo's in their current form and men in "space suits". Incase anyone thinks I'm just pulling this out of my ass. Watch the History Channel or just google UFO Cave Drawings. I've never personally seen a UFO. I do think both that and the vast account of abductions are real. Too much bs gets clouded in reliable witnesses. It's far more naive, to believe nothing is out there in a universe this big. The ego of man.

Also as far as the "Why would they come here and such and such".

Why do humans go out and tag and microchip farm and wild animals? Same principle imho. They want to keep track of what's going on. If there are aliens visiting earth. IMHO they view us as nothing more then cows, who they are keeping track of. Why make themselves noticed to livestock?

Yeah, I know but I wanted to use someone people knew about. As for tagging there are people who've claimed abduction and then a tranmitter of some kind is found in there bodies without any scar tissue around it. It emits a signal and when it's removed it immediately stops working.

well they move in the sense that the Sun also "moves"...they appear to move due to the earth's rotation...and from a practical visible standpoint, thats analogous to movement

in another regard though, the universe is expanding and EVERYTHING is moving

planets move around the sun- so in that essence the sun does not move. And yes you are correct about the universe isexpanding, so you are right about stars moving. But that does not change our night sky- not in our lifetimes, nor our great-great-great-great-etc- grandchildren's lifetimes. Dark energy is kicking dark matters ass, but not that quickly. And the inevitable question is does the universe rip, contract, explode? It is impossible to wrap your mind around quantum physics

stars move? :ph34r:

Quick Google search:

How do stars move in the Galaxy?

How do stars move? I do not mean the daily rising and setting of the stars in the sky, but the movement of stars in the galaxy...if there is any. I would really like to know more about this as I am very curious about it. I am a 19 year old student who is very interested in the study of astronomy. Thank you very much.

Our Galaxy, like all other spiral galaxies is rotating. The stars move on orbits around the centre of the Galaxy. It was the motions of stars in external galaxies that lead to the idea of dark matter in the universe - their motions indicated that there was more mass within their orbit than could be accounted for by visible matter alone. This is also true in our Galaxy.

At the distance of the Sun from the centre of the galaxy (about 8 kpc or 24 thousand light years) we move at an orbital speed of about 220 km/s and take about 230 million years to make one revolution around the centre of the Galaxy.

Stars also have some random motions - they don't orbit the galaxy in exact circles. This random motion usually amount to a few tens of km/s in some direction.

As observers we see this motion of the stars as what's called 'proper motion' - the projection of their velocity onto the plane of the sky, and 'radial motion', which is the projection of their velocity along our line of sight. We can dectect radial motion by looking at the wavelength shifts it creates in the spectrum of the star. Proper motion we detect by plotting the position of the star over time and seeing how it moves relative to more distant "fixed" objects. The star with the largest proper motion is Barnard's star which moves about 10 arcseconds (0.003 degrees) per year. A more typical proper motion is about 0.1 arcseconds a year.

September 2002, Karen Masters (more by Karen Masters)

Related questions:

How often does the Sun pass through a spiral arm in the Milky Way?

Does the Sun move around the Milky Way?

How can we distinguish a star's "real" color from the change in color that we observe due to the star's motion?

Why do constellations look the same after several years even though all the stars are moving?

Do stars move in the sky?

Do stars' orbits in galaxies obey Kepler's Laws?

Are the planes of solar systems aligned with the plane of the Galaxy?

Does the Milky Way spin counter-clockwise? If so, do all spiral galaxies spin in this direction and why?

stars move? :thumbsup:

Yep. They orbit the galactic center of mass, but not all with precisely the same speed or direction. So the differential between the sun's orbital vector and any star's vector is the relative motion of the star w/r/t us.

Usually it's not very detectable. For some close stars (e.g. Barnard's Star), you can see measurable movement over a person's lifetime.

planets move around the sun- so in that essence the sun does not move. And yes you are correct about the universe isexpanding, so you are right about stars moving. But that does not change our night sky- not in our lifetimes, nor our great-great-great-great-etc- grandchildren's lifetimes. Dark energy is kicking dark matters ass, but not that quickly. And the inevitable question is does the universe rip, contract, explode? It is impossible to wrap your mind around quantum physics

Everything moves. Depends on the frame of reference you pick.

And quantum physics is actually quite easy to understand, if you're not a moron.

Everything moves. Depends on the frame of reference you pick.

And quantum physics is actually quite easy to understand, if you're not a moron.

With some uncertainty.

BTW, your rainbow-farting unicorn comment next door, a few days ago, was a wisecrack well worthy of the late D. Parker!... :thumbsup::wallbash:

Quantum physics is easy? So you can comprehend infinite numbers?

Infrared and UV divergences? Sure. I renormalize them, and get the mass and charge of an electron. :lol:

So can you answer this? Or are you a moron?

Not quantum physics. Cosmology. Still not tough...just a paucity of data.

I have publications in this stuff, you know. Most of the concepts really aren't that difficult.

Infrared and UV divergences? Sure. I renormalize them, and get the mass and charge of an electron. :devil:

Not quantum physics. Cosmology. Still not tough...just a paucity of data.

I have publications in this stuff, you know. Most of the concepts really aren't that difficult.

What are your thoughts on WR 104? Are we toast?