Things that benching Bledslow will fix

todd

Sorry Todd, but there is this little thing called Marketing that is a large part of the equation. You see , when thousands of empty seats, disguised as fans, start appearing before the Owners eyes, an alarm goes off. It's not the 4 second alarm in Drews birdsnest inside his helmet. It's the realization that empty seats and constant losses equal lost revenue. Public perception DOES count.

This just in . DB + TH = Lost Revenue and living in the past.

It's not ALL their fault but a beginning of a long list of changes.

Why is it that When Doug Flutie played then, we made it to the playoffs and he rarely got sacked?? but WHen RJ and Drew has played our O-line sucks??? I don't understand this

83436[/snapback]

Did you read my last line of my last post? Flutie masked the OL problems. But they were still there, as evidenced by him being sacked and fumbling at the end of the Bills/Dolphins playoff game.

CW

Why is it that When Doug Flutie played then, we made it to the playoffs and he rarely got sacked?? but WHen RJ and Drew has played our O-line sucks??? I don't understand this

83436[/snapback]

As others have said, Flutie was basically a bandaid that masked the OL's struggles to a degree. But I also remember that he ran for his life on probably two thirds of the passing plays they called, contributing to his struggles late in '98 continuing through '99 and it was only his athleticism that kept the sack totals from being higher. The running game was pretty average during those years as well.

1. Zero rushing TDs. - Bledsoe's bad play lets defenses to key on our run.

2. Penalties - certainly not defensive penalties, but lack of mobility, lack of pocket presence, and taking too long to throw contributes to holding calls.

3. WRs with hands of stone - Bledsoe can't hit a WR in the numbers from 5 yards away. It's not a question of hands of stone, it's a matter of accuracy and touch, which Bledsoe has neither.

4. Poor playcalling - If Drew could see more than one receiver, maybe some of those plays would work.

5. Crappy o-line - Even when the O-line protects him, Bledsoe misfires because he's shellshocked.

You are right...benching Bledsoe would solve a lot of problems!

PTR

Just you wait. As soon as Losman has a bad game, everyone will B word because he's not playing like Rothlesberger. Then he'll be called a bust, and Donahoe will be frankenstein's monster. Trust me.

83366[/snapback]

We will never get to see that because they are going to stick with Bledsoe the rest of the year. He'll just have to suck all by himself.

PTR

Brandon that's not really a strong point because with the exception of this year, hasn't Miami been winning without Marino??? hasn't Denver been winning without Elway?? hasn't Houston/Tennesse been winning without Moon?? I mean really I could go on, but hopefully you get the point

83389[/snapback]

Hasn't SF been winning without Young.

83436[/snapback]

This is a great point and one I have been making for a long time. I would say our Oline is not all that bad and that having a QB like Bledsoe kills the OL. He got sacked at least 2-3 times today when having a good 5 seconds to throw. Amazing how the Pats fans complained of the same thing right before Brady took over for Bledsoe and the change of one player virtually eliminated the 5 sacks/game with the same OL. Also, with JP if they bring an all out blitz he can burn them with his legs so teams will be less willing to bring the house to blitz if he can get away from them all. The OL is not the main culprit here--it is Drew. He is a great guy who has had a great career but will only give you an occasional good game. Bring in Losman when he is healthy. I bet we become much less sacked with one new player and the same OL!

1. Zero rushing TDs.

2. Penalties.

3. WRs with hands of stone.

4. Poor playcalling.

5. Crappy o-line.

Don't misuderstand, Drew is a big part of the problem, but when Losman gets in there and we experience many of the same problems we have now, please don't start calling for his head like a lynch mob. A rookie QB isn't going to fix this atrocity. Temper your expections with a new QB. Patience.

83348[/snapback]

I didn't read through all of the posts in this thread so this may have been said.

I know its not all Bledsoe, but at 1-5 with 5 losses to AFC teams the playoffs are now officially out of the question. So as soon as JP is healthy, get him in there and at least get him his experience now and not wait until next year.

Bench Bledsoe. The season is essentially over and you can stick a fork in Bledsoe - he is done. His throws were WAY off today.

Bench Williams. I am tired of seeing linebackers knock him on backwards onto his ass.

Game ball goes to to DEFENSE. What a gutsy group! stevestojan call on roughing the passer by Fletcher. ZERO yards allowed in the 3rd quarter. Holy stevestojan!

Put ANYBODY in there at QB. We are already losing and keeping Bledsoe in there is not going to change anything. I'll take Matthews just to see anything different.

McGahee has my vote as starter, but I do not say bench Henry.

Replace Clements on punts or at the least give him a compass so he knows which way is north. He makes my eyes hurt.

Ah, fuggit. Time to pop the cork on the merlot. Be a fan and wear a Bills jersey to work tomorrow, wherever you are. It will piss someone off. :doh:

I'm not concerned with what other teams have done. 

The problem is that poor Bills OL play basically ran Kelly out of the league in 1995 and 1996.  Since that time,  the Bills have never had any real consistency from year-to-year in either their rushing or passing attacks.  Their OL is simply too weak to allow it.  The front office has never bothered to correct it,  with their only major addition being Mike Williams,  who appears to be a borderline bust. 

Its been probably 10 years since I can honestly say that I think the Bills fielded an OL that was in the top 20 of the league.  That's pathetic.

83400[/snapback]

For whatever reason, the Bills have gone away from the idea of having chiseled monsters on their OL like they had in the Super Bowl years (back then the Bills OL used to be known as the most in-shape, athletic group of body-builders that would kick people's asses for 60 minutes in the entire NFL) and decided to go with bigger tubs of goo that are too slow footed and disinterested to compete. The OL is the engine of a football team, so it is amazing that it has gotten so little attention. I can't blame Donahoe entirely for that because it started under Butler, but certainly he has done very little to fix it -- and the joke OL coaches the Bills have hired up until this year under Donahoe, oh my. I can't blame McNally because I know he is one of the best OL coaches football has ever seen. But, a large part of the blame has to go to the players themselves -- they just aren't good enough to compete in this league.

I'm not concerned with what other teams have done. 

The problem is that poor Bills OL play basically ran Kelly out of the league in 1995 and 1996.  Since that time,  the Bills have never had any real consistency from year-to-year in either their rushing or passing attacks.  Their OL is simply too weak to allow it.  The front office has never bothered to correct it,  with their only major addition being Mike Williams,  who appears to be a borderline bust. 

Its been probably 10 years since I can honestly say that I think the Bills fielded an OL that was in the top 20 of the league.  That's pathetic.

83400[/snapback]

Ridiculous.Our O-line play didn't run kelly outof the league.The fact that Kelly had to move his arm in three distinct motions like the tin man in order to throw a pass was the reason he had to retire. You can only sew up a shoulder soo many times.he was just awful the last couple of years and should have retired SOONER.

AND--our O-line wasn't that bad today.Drew had a reasonable amount of time to throw most of the time. when Drew is out the o-line will look much better.

Guest MDBILLSFAN
1. Zero rushing TDs.

2. Penalties.

3. WRs with hands of stone.

4. Poor playcalling.

5. Crappy o-line.

Don't misuderstand, Drew is a big part of the problem, but when Losman gets in there and we experience many of the same problems we have now, please don't start calling for his head like a lynch mob. A rookie QB isn't going to fix this atrocity. Temper your expections with a new QB. Patience.

83348[/snapback]

Guest MDBILLSFAN

After watching the game how can you argue that this isn't a perfect time to start your QB of the future. I guess you can let him stand on the sidelines and watch and learn from "DREW". If not this year do we wait until next year and possibly have another 3-13 year? Let the new kid take over now, I doubt he can do any worse and nobody expects him do that much. He isn't going to kill our playoff hopes that's for sure ! I can't believe not even Novemeber yet and we are out of the running and only Dallas will benefit from our poor play.

It's time to make changes now before our we lose all of our defenesive players and then we have to watch the defense rebuild. I can't live forever to see them back in the playoffs.

our O-line wasn't that bad today.Drew had a reasonable amount of time to throw most of the time. when Drew is out the o-line will look much better.

83761[/snapback]

Agree 100%. Run blocking could've been better for sure, but Drew had a lot more time to throw than I'd expect against the tough Ravens D. Pitiful. :doh: