Confidential to R. Rich

MelissaInPhilly

The lottery is a very effective "stupidity tax."

I put 4 bucks a week on the Mega Millions drawings - it aids the quality of my daydreams.

One of the first things our new Governor here in Ohio did was reduce the odds on lotto games...he wanted more revenue. I saw a tv show once, that said that the States got into the biz to combat "numbers" rackets, and soon found how lucrative it really was. And a State's lottery commission and its' many workers are IMO in large numbers, patronage jobs that the "Ins" hand out for favors rendered.

I have no gambling skills - but I wish there was Off-Track betting here, since the odds of getting your money back is at worst one in twelve. :unsure:

I put 4 bucks a week on the Mega Millions drawings - it aids the quality of my daydreams.

One of the first things our new Governor here in Ohio did was reduce the odds on lotto games...he wanted more revenue. I saw a tv show once, that said that the States got into the biz to combat "numbers" rackets, and soon found how lucrative it really was. And a State's lottery commission and its' many workers are IMO in large numbers, patronage jobs that the "Ins" hand out for favors rendered.

I have no gambling skills - but I wish there was Off-Track betting here, since the odds of getting your money back is at worst one in twelve. :unsure:

I'm not referring to everyone, as someone who drops a couple bucks on the lottery for some entertainment is fine. I'm more referring to the people you see lined up at the register dropping $5-10 and having the computer pick their numbers everyday.

I'm not referring to everyone, as someone who drops a couple bucks on the lottery for some entertainment is fine. I'm more referring to the people you see lined up at the register dropping $5-10 and having the computer pick their numbers everyday.

So you're saying that cincy either is or is not stupid.

What about Jack?

Since paying income taxes is now patriotic, does that apply to buying lotto tickets too?

Doyle Lonnegan gave better odds than state lotteries. And had a more efficient staff.

Five or ten bucks?

You don't get around much, Ramius. :unsure:

I see pencil-scratched lucky number lists. The computer picks are bought by the casual folks.