Jauron's Future?

If the Bills get killed next week and limp through the remaining schedule resulting in no playoff appearance, does Jauron pack his bags? Part II of this question, would Modrak get fired?

No.

DJ will have his extension signed before week 13.

That's my bet.

If the Bills get killed next week and limp through the remaining schedule resulting in no playoff appearance, does Jauron pack his bags? Part II of this question, would Modrak get fired?

Tough, but interesting questions.....

If I owned the team, I would give Jauron some slack if there were long term injuries to Stroud, Trent, or Evans. I list them in the order of (sorry Dean :thumbsup: ) who I happen to think would be the most difficult, if not impossible to replace with a comparible talent. I never give up, but if I am watching Stroud carted off the field with a season ending injury, I am thinking that our prospects for the playoffs will have strongly diminished, and I am being gentle.

Barring the above I would fire him, because he will have proven that he is not a winning ooach. Seriously, what is a reasonable amount of time to keep a coach and watch him lose? The trick would be to not replace him with yet another head coach from the reduced rack. Call me crazy, but I think that Cowher would accept 5 mil or so per season to coach here. If not him, perhaps Marty would like one more shot, and I truly believe that either of those guys would win with the Bills in short order.

As for Modrak, I have no idea what, if any say he has in terms of personnel. Can anybody clue me in on this?

Boy, one week he is the second coming of Lombardi and the next, he is Harvey Johnson.

The time to evaluate him will be at the end of the season. There is no black and white milestone he must achieve...or else. The team has to be better than it was, if it is, good chance he stays. If the team is worse, then there is a chance he goes.

I'm becoming tired of his philosphy. He seems to play not to lose rather than to win. Try to keep it close and hope the other team missteps, the defense gets a TD or the special teams get a TD.

On offense, the plan is to nibble away with a short passing game. The O-line is big slow guys who can move backwards and form a central pocket, if there is a straight ahead pass rush with a few D-linemen gap filling agains a running game. They have to be able to get their hands on the D-linemen to control them. That gives Edwards a chance to check over 2-4 receivers and do a pass within 5 yards. The counter that we have seen the defenses do in the last 4 games is for the defense to cover the WR's short (no quick open receivers) and do an agile stunting pass rush with a blitzer, which forces the O-linemen to defend in space. They're not good at this and Edwards is getting rushed, sacked and starting to get hit hard. A counter to this type of pass rush would be a classic running game but the O-linemen are too slow and not nimble enough to block the D or linebackers, who flow around them and often hit Marshawn in the backfield. Nor are the fast enough to get out in front of a screen. Jaron has built a one-trick pony and people have figured out the one trick. :thumbsup: I am interested to see what happens the next few games. Losman is not going to help here at all, because he is not a short pocket passer and no one can make a living by constantly sprinting out or rolling out.

On defense, last year we were the undersized, swarm to the ball, bend-but-don't-break gang. People ran over them at will. This year we seem to be in transition to bigger people (Strout, Michell, Poz). They played great against some of the weaker teams on the schedule, but were helpless against the Cards. I don't know who will show up next week. We needed some adjustments last week and the coaches didn't make them.

We could ask this another way....

If the Bills blow out the Chargers next week and roll through the remaining schedule resulting in a playoff appearance, does Jauron get an extension and be a candidate for COY? Part II of this question, would Modrak be praised?

See, it's still plenty early in the season to know the final out come. So, we should consider all alternatives, not just the negative ones. Or, we could give it a few more weeks and have more information on which to base a discussion about how the Bills may or may not end the season.

I dunno dudes. Im all about good assistants and player development. Jauron does the vision thing pretty well and says all the right things. Now if we had acceptable coordinators instead of ring tailed lemurs at salad bars we might get somewhere.

Oh, yeah, and im pretty sure modrak hates himself and is aware that he sucks at his job.

I'm becoming tired of his philosphy. He seems to play not to lose rather than to win. Try to keep it close and hope the other team missteps, the defense gets a TD or the special teams get a TD.

On offense, the plan is to nibble away with a short passing game. The O-line is big slow guys who can move backwards and form a central pocket, if there is a straight ahead pass rush with a few D-linemen gap filling agains a running game. They have to be able to get their hands on the D-linemen to control them. That gives Edwards a chance to check over 2-4 receivers and do a pass within 5 yards. The counter that we have seen the defenses do in the last 4 games is for the defense to cover the WR's short (no quick open receivers) and do an agile stunting pass rush with a blitzer, which forces the O-linemen to defend in space. They're not good at this and Edwards is getting rushed, sacked and starting to get hit hard. A counter to this type of pass rush would be a classic running game but the O-linemen are too slow and not nimble enough to block the D or linebackers, who flow around them and often hit Marshawn in the backfield. Nor are the fast enough to get out in front of a screen. Jaron has built a one-trick pony and people have figured out the one trick. :( I am interested to see what happens the next few games. Losman is not going to help here at all, because he is not a short pocket passer and no one can make a living by constantly sprinting out or rolling out.

On defense, last year we were the undersized, swarm to the ball, bend-but-don't-break gang. People ran over them at will. This year we seem to be in transition to bigger people (Strout, Michell, Poz). They played great against some of the weaker teams on the schedule, but were helpless against the Cards. I don't know who will show up next week. We needed some adjustments last week and the coaches didn't make them.

Welcome to the board. Please post more often . . . that was an excellent post!

Boy, one week he is the second coming of Lombardi and the next, he is Harvey Johnson.

The time to evaluate him will be at the end of the season. There is no black and white milestone he must achieve...or else. The team has to be better than it was, if it is, good chance he stays. If the team is worse, then there is a chance he goes.

The end of the season is too late. Either he signs an extension during this season or he is replaced.

He gets a three year extension and likely before Thanksgiving.

The foundation was laid when Ralph chose not to bring in an outside GM with Levy's departure. Any coach worth his salt is going to look at the Buffalo front office situation and be hesitant to take the job. Ralph and Marv specifically chose the current path and I do not see Ralph backing away from it now. Ralph knows if he does then he is in for another three year period of rebuilding that almost inevitably comes with a coaching change.

The defense is built for Tampa 2 so you would need a head coach and coordinator who support this philospophy. Otherwise you have to make wholesale player changes.

We clearly saw the offense is less capable without Trent - a coaching change does not eliminate this fact. O-line has to step up - you wonder how much Peters hold out really hurt.

Jauron did a masterful job holding the team together last year. I think he gets a mulligan from Ralph for that 7-9 record. Keep in mind we ended up with 17 guys on IR last year and still had an outside shot at the playoffs.

If we play .500 ball for the remainder of this year we are likely going to win the division assuming that we split the division schedule. Personally, I think we end up 10-6 or even 11-5 and take the division. In either case it is not likely we get past the first round of the playoffs.

At the end of the day winning in this league is about line play and quarterback play. I believe we have the QB it remains to be seen if our O-line and D-line really step up (especially the O-line). If they do Jauron's job is very secure.