mccargo

On Chris Brown's blog on BB.com is says that Edwards and McCargo aren't at practice. Edwards is obvious, but McCargo. He has no answer as to why he's not there, but will update later. I know before the season started they were looking to trade him after a lack of motivation. Maybe they pulled the trigger in the BYE week?

On Chris Brown's blog on BB.com is says that Edwards and McCargo aren't at practice. Edwards is obvious, but McCargo. He has no answer as to why he's not there, but will update later. I know before the season started they were looking to trade him after a lack of motivation. Maybe they pulled the trigger in the BYE week?

Trade him for what?

What a bust he has been.

We had two high 1st rounders and as it stands now we ended up with a decent safety out of it.

I'm not impressed.

So first you called Lynch overrated and now youre saying that Whitner is a "decent" safety. Donte is one of the best and most respected safeties in the league and he's the leader of that defense. All 24 years of his age - after playing 37 games.

You talent evaluations are a little strange buddy..

Come on stop nitpicking.

They had two 1st rounders and we don't have much of a return on those picks.

First off, I don't think he is "nitpicking." You said high, but you were wrong and that is important.

Second, you have now in two consecutive posts downplayed Donte Whitner's value, as well. That is a hug mistake. Whitner is the leader of this defense and one of the biggest leaders of the team on and off the field. His value is very high.

Yes, I think McCargo is a bust. Of course, most of us thought Ashton Youboty was bust just a couple months ago.

Busts happen all the time. But we did not draft two of them in 2006's first round.

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 11:52 AM ET | Link

EDWARDS, MCCARGO UPDATE: Bills QB Trent Edwards was at One Bills Drive this morning. He was sent home and did not practice Tuesday.

DT John McCargo had an excused absence for today's practice. It was a personal family reason that pulled him away from team activities.

Maybe hes making plans with his family to move to another destination.........hey ya never know.

Come on stop nitpicking.

They had two 1st rounders and we don't have much of a return on those picks.

Where is the nitpicking? You specifically said high 1st rounder to get your point across - by the most liberal of definitions, the pick could have been number 16 and no lower. It's as false as saying the Bills finished high in offensive points scored last year - when in fact they were around 31st in scoring. Not really nitpicking.

That all being said - I completely agree we have no return on the McCargo pick, as well as whatever pick we used to trade up and draft him (at least I'm pretty sure we did that).

Whitner, however, is a player. B+ talent for a safety, A+ for leadership.

What a bust he has been.

We had two high 1st rounders and as it stands now we ended up with a decent safety out of it.

I'm not impressed.

The key to analysis here is not to be impressed or depressed about a specific move (following this approach leads only to madness) but to only be impressed or depressed by the draft as a whole.

One can easily agree or disagree with a specific move in the 2006 draft, but overall I do not see how anyone can reasonably be anything but incredibly psyched and impressed by this draft.

Of the 9 players chosen, 8 (and I mean amazingly EIGHT) of them got starts for this team. This is an incredible number in terms of getting production from the players chosen given that one is given the players this Bills braintrust inherited from the TD reign of error.

Sure, it is simply the fact that folks such as Merz and Pennington got starts but the fact is they are no longer Bills, but even producing 5 of 9 players who proved to be starters on a 4-1 team 3 years later is such phenomenal drafting that it is virtually jaw dropping in how impressive it is.

If one wants to look deeper, one of those 2 remaining non-starters on the depth chart is Ashton Youbouty who as the nickel is as close to starting as one can get. Is there another team in the NFL which has produced a 2/3 success rate in producing starters 3 years after a draft (more diligent heads than mine can tell us whether this is true but I cannot think of another team. In fact, there are probably drafts where 5 years after the fact virtually 100% of the players chosen are simply gone from the team which picked them.

Consideration in this light actually probably gives the greatest indictment of McCargo as of the 9 players chosen in 2006, one and only one has not proved to be good enough to log even one start. That is John McCargo.

Its not like he never got the chance. Fellow rookie Kyle Williams is the starter at DT with Stroud so it is clear that McCargo had a direct opportunity to start immediately and earn his version of an extension that Williams won, Its not like the Bills have been so solid at DT with Williams that there was no room for McCargo to shine as this team has shipped in and shipped out Larry Triplett at DT during this period.

He has not met expectations to say the least.

Yet, overall I think that taking the route as a fan of not getting too bummed out or excited about any individual player is the way to go here since focus on mccargo overshadows the fact that not only were 8 of 9 players from this draft capable of starting in the NFL even the laggard Mccargo has produced at least one multi-sack game. IMHO, the 2005 draft was 100% productive for the Bills.

I am impressed.

:ph34r:

Rip them apart and show the stats. Only one hit for an "Above average" (mind you I think he is better) in the first two rounds with 3 picks should be above average. Forget the fact the rest of the draft panned out. I had hopes for McCargo, but it seems he is failing.

Where is the nitpicking? You specifically said high 1st rounder to get your point across - by the most liberal of definitions, the pick could have been number 16 and no lower. It's as false as saying the Bills finished high in offensive points scored last year - when in fact they were around 31st in scoring. Not really nitpicking.

That all being said - I completely agree we have no return on the McCargo pick, as well as whatever pick we used to trade up and draft him (at least I'm pretty sure we did that).

Whitner, however, is a player. B+ talent for a safety, A+ for leadership.

When you come away with on B+ safety with two 1st rounders that is a bust.

When you come away with on B+ safety with two 1st rounders that is a bust.

Maybe in the world of judging one player with two picks, but thankfully that doesn't apply to the NFL. And good job ignoring his leadership skills. Clearly you won't be moved from your position, as your arguments are just getting silly.

i think it says a lot about our front office and draft room when our top 3 corners are all home grown and from either the third round or later. Maybe McCargo just needs more time to develop. wasnt he only thru two years of college when we drafted him?...Look at Yobouty...About two months ago I thought he was going to be cut, now hes looking more and more like he has the potential to be a solid corner in this league.

Rip them apart and show the stats. Only one hit for an "Above average" (mind you I think he is better) in the first two rounds with 3 picks should be above average. Forget the fact the rest of the draft panned out. I had hopes for McCargo, but it seems he is failing.

No time to go through the stats(too much work).....

Suffice it to say that the Bills 06 draft is looking to be a very good one. Not missing(busting out) on a top 10 pick, good starting FS & DT, starting RG(jury still out?), quality backup CB & LB......

Why can't we draft HOFers with every draft pick??? :ph34r: