Ch 4 may get dropped from Time Warner?

Beerball

The thing to confirm is that you have at least a 90 (if not 95-98) signal strength during GOOD WEATHER on most of the transponders. That'll help prevent rain fade. Yes, you'll still lose signal for a couple of minutes during a torrential downpour, but you shouldn't lose it during most rain storms.

I've only had trouble with snow once (and DirecTV gave me $200 for my trouble) -- and with the new dish, I don't think it'll ever be a problem (it's mounted much higher and isn't as curved from the looks of it).

Yes, DirectTV has new dishes that greatly reduce downtime due to snow/rain. I used to lose signal quite a bit, got the new dish, and have been out of service only a couple of times since the beginning of the year. The biggest problem with snow is when it accumulates and ices over, than I gotta hang on the gutter to knock off the ice.

Also, DTV has a few pluses over TW. Yes, you do pay $10/month for HD on DTV, but you receive many more channels than TW. Thing is, you do pay for HD on TW, they just don't line item it. Overall, I pay $10/month less with DTV then a comparable package with TW, and have 2 additional boxes in the house.

Now when it comes to broadband internet, DTV does not have a viable option. I have broadband and telephone from TW, and pay $3 more a month than Verizon phone and dial-up internet access. I do still pay less for DTV and the TW internet/phone option than if I went full bore with TW for everything.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandfather tried both DirecTV and Dish but neither company could get a proper installation with signal. Too much interference from the trees, I guess.

There are a few ways to get around tree interference, like putting the dish up on a pole or the tallest part of the house (has it's drawbacks though).

Although, the new DirectTV dishes do a much better job with tree and atmosphere (snow/rain) interference.

Negative. HD channels are free.

I beg to differ, nothing in life is free, especially when it comes from a big business. Such as, with DTV, I was told my new HD receiver was "free", but in the small print it added two years to my agreement so over time I actually pay for it :lol: .

DTV just chooses to add HD as a line item on my bill, while TW tells us it's "free". Trust me, if they pay for it(TW), so are the customers.

"There is unrest in the forest,

There is trouble with the trees,

For the maples want more sunlight

And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,

(And they're quite convinced they're right)

They say the oaks are just too lofty

And they grab up all the light.

But the oaks can't help their feelings

If they like the way they're made.

And they wonder why the maples

Can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest,

And the creatures all have fled,

As the maples scream "Oppression!"

And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union

And demanded equal rights.

"The oaks are just too greedy;

We will make them give us light."

Now there's no more oak oppression,

For they passed a noble law,

And the trees are all kept equal

By hatchet, axe, and saw."

:lol:

This one, I'll save!

Hey to all you Jamestowners,

Just talked to my mom who works for TWC here in town and she said that TWC lawyers have found a way for Jamestown to use WSEE's CBS feed for the game this weekend since WIVB is no longer available to use thanks to LIN TV. Unfortunately, at the moment we don't have an HD feed for this CBS affiliate and I don't know if we'll have one by Sunday. But atleast we'll get to see the game.

I hope and pray this is correct.. I actually have WSEE here in Silver Creek..

Actually,just checked and the game is already on the program guide for TW on Sunday,so I'm set,isn't the best of pictures and no HD but to see the game is the important thing...

I'm going to watch with my brother-in-law Sunday. I'm giving TW about two weeks to get WIVB back on, and then I'm going to dish. TW will also be losing my telephone and internet business. I have talked with a representative twice, and heard nothing but the company line. What a load of bull. I'm tired of these arrogant bastages.

If I understand this situation correctly, I don't see Time Warner as the bad guy here.

LIN negotiates deals with Dish network, DirecTV, Time Warner, everybody, for the rights to carry their signal. Now apparently they want to charge Time Warner considerably more than they had in the past. Are they providing anything more for this additional fee? No, they're just greedy corporate bastards that will grub money any/every way they can. Does it bother them that this fee will be indirectly passed on to cable subscribers, essentially forcing them to pay for a service that the TV station is required by law to provide for free OTA? No, (see previous answer)

I'm going to watch with my brother-in-law Sunday. I'm giving TW about two weeks to get WIVB back on, and then I'm going to dish. TW will also be losing my telephone and internet business. I have talked with a representative twice, and heard nothing but the company line. What a load of bull. I'm tired of these arrogant bastages.

I suggest you call WIVB and tell them to tell their parent company to get their sh*t together. We were able to get an alternate CBS affiliate for the customers in Jamestown because they are outside the 35-mile radius of WIVB. Fredonia is not so lucky. Buffalo is the unluckiest. WIVB was granted protection from duplication of network programming from any othe CBS affiliates in the area.

If I understand this situation correctly, I don't see Time Warner as the bad guy here.

LIN negotiates deals with Dish network, DirecTV, Time Warner, everybody, for the rights to carry their signal. Now apparently they want to charge Time Warner considerably more than they had in the past. Are they providing anything more for this additional fee? No, they're just greedy corporate bastards that will grub money any/every way they can. Does it bother them that this fee will be indirectly passed on to cable subscribers, essentially forcing them to pay for a service that the TV station is required by law to provide for free OTA? No, (see previous answer)

I wouldn't, necessarily, cast TW as the villain here, either. But, you have left out many possibilities on your way to deciding that Lin is the bad guy here. We have no idea what the terms of the last contract were, how they compare to Lin's terms with DTV, and cable companies in other markets. To simply assume that Lin is asking for an outrageous raise, which is out of line when compared to what stations in similar markets get from TW, other stations in the Buffalo market get from TW, what WIVB gets from DTV, what WIVB currently gets from TW, etc, is pure speculation on your part.

Let's be clear about one thing Time Warner is as greedy as any Lin, most likely. Without the details, it is hard to know who is being more unreasonable in this particular negotiation. Usually one can get an idea by observing what other contract impasses there are, at the same time. In this case, though, there seem to be few clues (from the limited info I now have).

Guest dog14787
I hope and pray this is correct.. I actually have WSEE here in Silver Creek..

Actually,just checked and the game is already on the program guide for TW on Sunday,so I'm set,isn't the best of pictures and no HD but to see the game is the important thing...

WSEE hates airing the Bills over the Steelers and has even gone as far as asking for petitioners to petition while showing a Buffalo Bills game on the bottom of the screen like a news bulliten. :lol:

WSEE may be showing the Bills games, but not because they want to, they are being forced to air the Buffalo Bills. :beer:

Any of you Buffalo area people want to try what I do every home game, jump on the Thruway Sunday, make the drive to Syracuse and you can tailgate in my driveway, then watch the game in my house, or if you want a more authentic football feel, I'll move it out to the yard.

Oh yeah... I am getting married in 8 days so I am on edge...

Congrats.

So you know my job better than I do?

Not saying I do. Also not trying to tick you off if I did.

Can you explain how TW does not charge it's customers for HD, wether it is shown on my bill or hidden in the monthly charges?

Thanks for the info.

Forget TW. DirectTV is cheaper, and has more channels in HD, and the Sunday Ticket.

Yeah, I had an Adelphia package when I first moved back here, but once TW took over and removed the NFL Network it was all over for them... I kept roadrunner since I can't live without that, and I canceled my cable service with them, switching to DISH network...

About a month later my phone rings and its TW trying to get me back as a customer by offering me this that and the other...

I calmly asked the guy if TW had reinserted NFL Network into their lineup, and he said "No sir...but"

I didn't even let him finish the sentence and I told him "When you get that back call me, until then don't bother"

CLICK

Have never received a call from them since...