The question of our "Big Three", very interesting...

TE2LEEn08

Howard Simon had a great topic on GR this morning. He asked "How do we feel about the Bills' 'Big Three' skilled position players? Can they win a Super Bowl with Edwards, Lynch and Evans?" (maybe not this year but at some point in the future)

Are we all comfortable with Edwards at the helm? Is Lynch the the kind of back that can carry you to victory in January when you absolutely have to run the ball? Is Lee Evans a bona fide #1 Wide Receiver in this league?

I would be very interested to hear what people have to say about these guys.

I think at this point Lee Evans would be my biggest question mark out of the "Big Three". (with Lynch a close second only because of this O-line's ability, or lack thereof to run block)

Lee is obviously a big play threat but he lacks consistency and tends to disappear in the big moments. Now I love the guy as a teammate and the way he's handled his contract situation this year is the epitome of professionalism. But if they take away that deep ball so goes Lee and that to me is still very unsettling. I thought when the year started and he was all over the field in that Seattle game it would be different, and maybe it will be when Hardy gets fully up to speed, I really hope so. I know he's important to this offense and really want him to get paid but he is a 1A type of receiver, not the beast in all aspects of the game that you would expect from a true #1. Where is he when that big 3rd down reception needs to be made, the ball finds it's way to other guys in those situations (namely Josh Reed). I want to see more consistency out of Evans if this team wants to win the big game in February.

Personally, I disagree with the Evans critism. He has quitely caught damn near everything throw his way so far (3 to 15 yd patterns) and shown toughness through them. The big plays get the hi-lites but he's playing very well all around IMO and yes, he's a 'Big 3'! I think Lynch is the beastmode we need to earn playoff spots late but as you say, the OL isn't getting him to the second level anywhere near good enough. Edwards is the key IMO, and he's shown WAAAAAY more than I anticipated and I loved the guy from the first preseason game he played in last year.

I think we have the makings of a GREAT Big 3, though it may take another year to bear out.

Really like what I've seen from Edwards. A couple stupid mistakes along the way, but he doesn't let that stuff bother him. If we keep him healthy, yeah...we got a good one.

Lynch...can't ask for more from a player than this guy gives everystinkinplay. But, until the O-line/FB does a better job I fear for his health.

Evans...would like to see more involvement from him. Not sure if he's used so infrequently because of design or if he & Trent need to continue to work together, or if Evans needs to do a better job getting open, but he should be THE GO TO GUY on third down. I would argue that Reed is that guy right now. (yes, Reed does benefit from having Evans on the other side)

A great example of a "Big Three" would be Aikman/Smith/Irvin, right? They also happened to have one of the top 2 or 3 offensive lines in the history of football.

This "Big Three" thing, while a good conversation piece, is not an end-all. Other pieces of the puzzle mean just as much, sometimes more. The 85 Bears are a good illustration of this. :rolleyes:

The very interesting this here is that if this question was posed five weeks ago, just about everyone would have quikcly said they have no way to know if Edwards is going to last past this season. Now, just about everyone is sold on him, he is a canididate for league MVP and has what it takes to lead us to the promise land. I am not complaining, as I have been won over myself, but it is interesting.

I think we have a very high quality "Big Three" now that, if healthy, will be take this team a long way. The most exciting aspect is that they are all so young. It is very reminiscent of when Thurmal was a rookie and Jimbo and Andre were connecting. We knew then something special was forming.

A great example of a "Big Three" would be Aikman/Smith/Irvin, right? They also happened to have one of the top 2 or 3 offensive lines in the history of football.

This "Big Three" thing, while a good conversation piece, is not an end-all. Other pieces of the puzzle mean just as much, sometimes more. The 85 Bears are a good illustration of this. :rolleyes:

No dispute, but...how do you feel about those three?

Howard Simon had a great topic on GR this morning. He asked "How do we feel about the Bills' 'Big Three' skilled position players? Can they win a Super Bowl with Edwards, Lynch and Evans?" (maybe not this year but at some point in the future)

Are we all comfortable with Edwards at the helm? Is Lynch the the kind of back that can carry you to victory in January when you absolutely have to run the ball? Is Lee Evans a bona fide #1 Wide Receiver in this league?

I think at this point Lee Evans would be my biggest question mark out of the "Big Three". (with Lynch a close second only because of this O-line's ability, or lack thereof to run block)

Lee is obviously a big play threat but he lacks consistency and tends to disappear in the big moments. Now I love the guy as a teammate and the way he's handled his contract situation this year is truly awesome. But if they take away that deep ball so goes Lee and that to me is still very unsettling. I thought when the year started and he was all over the field in that Seattle game it would be different, and maybe it will be when Hardy gets fully up to speed, I really hope so. I know he's important to this offense and really want him to get paid but he is a 1A type of receiver, not the beast in all aspects of the game that you would expect from a true #1. Where is he on when the big 3rd down reception needs to be made, the ball finds it's way to other guys in those situations. I want to see more consistency out of Evans if this team wants to win the big game in February.

Please look at who is throwing him the ball. If Evans was playing with good QBs, he would be at the very least a top 10 receiver. He is also off to his best start of his career (a slow starter because of our QB situation) by almost a hundred yards. He is gonna have a career year and the Bills should sign him sooner than later.

I liked the old Bills Big Three better of Jimbo, Thurm and Bruce because they represented both sides of the ball having a D stud that other teams had to game plan around in addition to the two offensive weapons. This also points somewhat the marketing illusion presented by a focus on a Big Three since it is easily arguable about key members of the supporting cast being HOF quality players led by the Big 3A of Tasker on ST and even the argument that Reed deserves in.

Again this Big 3 focus leaves out the role that definite NON-HOF player Darryl Talley had as a heart and soul of being a Bill and the Bills D. Even further the shallowness of the Big 3 take ignores the central role which Kent Hull played in the success of this team.

In order for this team to become truly great and to become a TEAM, I worry more about who the Big 3As are than I do about who is and the quality of the Big 3.

I am fine with all 3 BB.

Lynch scares me because his style lends itself to a short shelf life. His is however a fine back, and an absolute pleasure to watch. He risks his entire career each week to get an extra 1 yard. You couldn't ask for more effort, and the guy can run and catch. :rolleyes:

I am fine with all 3 BB.

Lynch scares me because his style lends itself to a short shelf life. His is however a fine back, and an absolute pleasure to watch. He risks his entire career each week to get an extra 1 yard. You couldn't ask for more effort, and the guy can run and catch. :rolleyes:

I hate saying this but I don't know if Lynch will get this 2nd contract. He takes too many hits. I have very little doubt we will have a holdout situation with Lynch at some point because if his agent is smart, he will realize this as well. And I won't blame them one bit.

Lee is obviously a big play threat but he lacks consistency and tends to disappear in the big moments. Now I love the guy as a teammate and the way he's handled his contract situation this year is truly awesome. But if they take away that deep ball so goes Lee and that to me is still very unsettling. I thought when the year started and he was all over the field in that Seattle game it would be different, and maybe it will be when Hardy gets fully up to speed, I really hope so. I know he's important to this offense and really want him to get paid but he is a 1A type of receiver, not the beast in all aspects of the game that you would expect from a true #1. Where is he on when the big 3rd down reception needs to be made, the ball finds it's way to other guys in those situations. I want to see more consistency out of Evans if this team wants to win the big game in February.

MODS PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO POST WHILE ON CRACK!!!

REC 14

YDS 332

AVG 23.7

TDS 1

Or look at the Patriots, Laurence Maroney is hardly a #1 back in the league, Giants have Plaxico, big deal....and what about the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl? Uhm.....Trent Dilfer, Jamal Lewis....and who was their big receiver? Good defense, I'll hang my hat on that.

MODS PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO POST WHILE ON CRACK!!!

REC 14

YDS 332

AVG 23.7

TDS 1

I don't care about numbers...I use my eyes and my gut to decide and overall Lee has disappointed me when teams take away the deep ball. Although his numbers these first 4 games are his best and they are impressive, I worry about his ability to get you those tough first downs when it counts. And I don't have those concerns with the other 2.

I couldn't be more excited about that trio of guys. Love each one of them, and I think they have super bowl type of ability. Evans is STILL one of the more underrated receivers out there, and possesses top 5 talent if you ask me. If he was playing on a Dallas or Indy, it's scary to think of the numbers he could put up.

Andre Reed is one of my very favorite Bills of all-time, and even though he will likely be in the Hall of Fame someday, I actually think he was underrated. That said, Lee Evans on those Bills teams would have just been sick. I'm not saying he is already better than Andre, and there are some things he will never be better at. But IMO, on the Kelly teams and offense, Lee Evans would have been unstoppable.

Andre Reed is one of my very favorite Bills of all-time, and even though he will likely be in the Hall of Fame someday, I actually think he was underrated. That said, Lee Evans on those Bills teams would have just been sick. I'm not saying he is already better than Andre, and there are some things he will never be better at. But IMO, on the Kelly teams and offense, Lee Evans would have been unstoppable.

Interesting. Andre and Lee are two of my favorite Bills of all time. Lee is much faster and a better route router. But Andre was much better in the physical part of the game and, besides TO and Rice, was the best run after the catch receiver I have seen in my life (28 years).

In today's NFL, I don't think it is the BIG 3 anymore, I think it is the Big 4... possibly Big 5. The backup runningback is becoming critically important and makes the 4th (we got a winner in Jackson). The argument for the fifth of the Big 5 is the TIGHT END! That's one thing I think the Bills will need to think about getting... unless they have him already, who knows