The More I look into this AZ Game...

The Big Cat

The more confident I feel.

The roof will be closed (as confirmed by CB's blog on bb.com). Crowd noise will be the only deterrent in this game, and frankly I'm not really worried about crowd noise. Trent has been known to peform best under idealic weather conditions, advantage Bills.

Arizona has beaten the Niners and the Dolphins. They've lost to the Redskins and the Jets. IMO, Jax, Seattle, and Oakland are all better than SF/Dolphins. I believe Jax is better than the Jets, I think the Jets are even with Seattle and Oakland. We've done better against better opponents, advantage Bills.

Believe it or not, this could be a trap game for AZ. Coming off two straight losses, their next two opponents are us/Dallas. Dropping four in a row to finish week 6 does not bode well for a team trying to contend. Even though they can't afford to lose this game, they DEFINITELY can't afford to drop two in a row, and it's not going to get any easier when the Cowgirls come to town.

Buffalo is currently one of the highest ranked teams in the NFL when it comes to defending the pass. Allowing only 168 yards a game (147 if you subtract the 84 yard fluke- a subtraction which moves our league ranking from 6th to 3rd), Buffalo imposes a threat to Arizona's greatest asset (they avg 290 yds a game through the air- good for 4th in the NFL). Combine those numbers with an AZ's abismal running attack (just 87 ypg) and the success we've shown stopping the run, I don't think this one goes the way of a shootout--

And that's too bad for Arizona considering the amount of points they've relinqueshed so far, giving up a 27th ranked 25.8 ppg. Compare that to Buffalo's 6th ranked 15.8 ppg, and it's going to be an uphill battle for a team used to exchanging blows.

I keep hearing how "dangerous" this Arizona team is, but I think a lot of this hype is fueled by the Boldin/Fitz duo (which may be in jeopardy). I remember people saying really early on that Arizona "has a defense now" but I'm just not seeing it. They can't run the ball, they're losing games to questionable opponents (NYJ), and they're simply not as well balanced through ALL three phases of the game.

Barring an orgy of turnovers and mental mistakes, Buffalo wins this one 28-17.

**I admit that the Jets game skews AZ's stats just a bit. But seriously, it was the friggin Jets.

Believe it or not, this could be a trap game for AZ. Coming off two straight losses, their next two opponents are us/Dallas. Dropping four in a row to finish week 6 does not bode well for a team trying to contend. Even though they can't afford to lose this game, they DEFINITELY can't afford to drop two in a row, and it's not going to get any easier when the Cowgirls come to town.

I disagree here. They've dropped 2 in row now. They definitely don't want to lose a 3rd game with the Cowboys after that. A 4 game skid would be disastrous. So who is the easier team to beat - the Bills or the Cowboys? The Bills are perceived as a lesser team (like it or not). If I'm the Cards, I'm putting everything I can into beating the Bills to ensure they end the losing streak and get some confidence going into the Cowboy game.

My concern is that we see another desperate team pulling out all the tricks to try and get a win.

I am not as confident.....when a team gets embarrased like that they tend to come out PO'd in the next game.

Hmmmmm....remember when we were HUMILIATED by the Pats 56-10...What happened the following week??? Oh yes....36-14 Drubbing by the Jags.......Plus there is no way that Boldin plays......it can go both ways John!

I disagree here. They've dropped 2 in row now. They definitely don't want to lose a 3rd game with the Cowboys after that. A 4 game skid would be disastrous. So who is the easier team to beat - the Bills or the Cowboys? The Bills are perceived as a lesser team (like it or not). If I'm the Cards, I'm putting everything I can into beating the Bills to ensure they end the losing streak and get some confidence going into the Cowboy game.

My concern is that we see another desperate team pulling out all the tricks to try and get a win.

True, and we've seen that two weeks in a row. I was never worried about the STL game, even when we were losing, and we outscored them 25-0 in the second half. IMO, a desperate Oakland is more dangerous than a desperate AZ because their defense is A LOT stronger. I suppose it's good that we got OAK at home then, but if Boldin's out, I'm not sure just how dangerous this AZ team can have, due completely to their lack of weaponry...more to come on that.

I am not as confident.....when a team gets embarrased like that they tend to come out PO'd in the next game.

And like it or not the Cards are loaded with talent....their WR's are as good as anybody's.....Edgerin James in the backfield.

Our offense is going to have to get going early in this one.

Ah yes, the many weapons of the Arizona Cardinals. Best receiver tandem in the league? May be. But we've got some pretty excellent corners these days, and some pretty good safeties to boot. Any word if Boldin will play? I think if he's out and McGee's out, the loss of Boldin is greater. If McGee's out and Boldin's in, it will be a tough test for our young guys, but I'm still confident.

Edge is not a weapon. He's rushed for 277 yards in four games. And after him they have NOTHING. I'd say McFadden is a better back at this point in time, and without question Steven Jackson presents WAY more of a threat.

They have NO weapons on the defensive side of the ball whatsoever, so I agree with you that if we get it started early, it'll be an easy one to close.

I think these so-called "weapons" are more of a tall-tale than anything else.

Hmmmmm....remember when we were HUMILIATED by the Pats 56-10...What happened the following week??? Oh yes....36-14 Drubbing by the Jags.......it can go both ways John!

IIRC, Buffalo was down by only 9 going into the fourth quarter. And then JP took a massive crap all over his career in Buffalo. Plus we went home to away and they're doing the opposite. Not that any of this helps my argument...

This is not a "huge" game for Arizona in the context of their quest for a division title. They're 1-0 inside the division and nobody in the NFC West is stepping up. While they certainly don't want to extend a losing streak going into the Dallas game, they also know that even at 2-4 (if they lose to Buffalo and the Cowboys) they're not in terrible shape.

Bottom line -- I don't see this as a "pull out all the stops" type of game for the Cards. In fact, one might make the argument Buffalo places more importance on the game because they'd like to keep their momentum going into the bye week.

Just food for thought.

This is not a "huge" game for Arizona in the context of their quest for a division title. They're 1-0 inside the division and nobody in the NFC West is stepping up. While they certainly don't want to extend a losing streak going into the Dallas game, they also know that even at 2-4 (if they lose to Buffalo and the Cowboys) they're not in terrible shape.

Bottom line -- I don't see this as a "pull out all the stops" type of game for the Cards. In fact, one might make the argument Buffalo places more importance on the game because they'd like to keep their momentum going into the bye week.Just food for thought.

Excellent point. Knowing Jauron and how he's able to prepare/motivate his men, the prospect of playing for a week long break (i.e. playing like there's no tomorrow) is quite plausible indeed.

I also think that Buffalo (because of our weaker opponents to date) has had the luxury of not showing off all its weapons just yet. Think about how much more aggressively the defensive game was called against Seattle vs anything we've seen since then. There just hasn't been a need to play that style of attack football, on EITHER side of the ball!

I think if we make it into the bye week with the best-yet-to-come and get that extra week to fine tune everything else, we become a VERY dangerous 5-0.

And like it or not the Cards are loaded with talent....their WR's are as good as anybody's.....Edgerin James in the backfield.

Our offense is going to have to get going early in this one.

They are 2 - 2, scored 106 and gave up 103.

Of their 4 games so far, 3 of them were on the road. Their HC Wisenhunt has a competent pedigree.

I agree with you, John. Their Jets game was an odd one - 34 points by NYJ in the 2nd, 21 in the 3nd by AZ, 14 by AZ in the forth and 22 by NYJ in the 4th.

35 2nd half points by AZ makes one think that that they have some fangs, even accounting for NYJ sitting on a fat lead. I would have loved to have seen that game - my guess is that the Jets' coaches played the prevent game in the 3rd and got an education about how a hefty lead can evaporate when you play a cutie-pie prevent.

Ah yes, the many weapons of the Arizona Cardinals. Best receiver tandem in the league? May be. But we've got some pretty excellent corners these days, and some pretty good safeties to boot. Any word if Boldin will play? I think if he's out and McGee's out, the loss of Boldin is greater. If McGee's out and Boldin's in, it will be a tough test for our young guys, but I'm still confident.

Obviously we will be weaker without our best CB and they will be strong if one of their very good WRs plays. However, the big key to this game is not gonna be whether McKelvin or Youbouty steps up to McGee levels, it is going to be the amount of pressure generated by the pass rush of the Bills on AZ. Fitzgerald, Breaston and perhaps Boldin are quality receivers who can take down most things in their vicinity with only a slight difference in who is covering them as long as the CBs are adequate (which Greer, Youbouty and McKelvin though it is still early in the rookies career). The key is for us to generate pressure on every pass play and get a few sacks as well so Warner has difficulty throwing accurate passes in the vicinity of these receivers.

If we get pressure we will get more INTs, if the pressure is muted then it matters less really who the CB is because no one is going to cover these monsters if Warner has the time to throw accurately.

They are 2 -2, scored 106 and gave up 103.

Of their 4 games so far, 3 of them were on the road. Their HC Wisenhunt has a competent pedigree.

I agree with you, John. Their Jets game was an odd one - 34 points by NYJ in the 2nd, 21 in the 3nd by AZ, 14 by AZ in the forth and 22 by NYJ in the 4th.

35 2nd half points by AZ makes one think that that they have some fangs, even accounting for NYJ sitting on a fat lead. I would have loved to see that game - my guess is that the Jet's coaches played the prevent game in the 3rd and got an education about how a hefty lead can evaporate when you play a cutie-pie prevent.

I watched most of the game and I'm not sure you can call what EITHER team was playing "defense." Not only were both qb's connecting on long passes, they were connecting with receivers who were WIDE open, something you rarely see against Buffalo.

In fact, can you imagine Buffalo giving up 34 points in an entire game? Let alone a single quarter? No, you can't. As bizarre of a scoring affair this was, the numbers still speak to each team's lack of defensive prowess. Period.

Obviously we will be weaker without our best CB and they will be strong if one of their very good WRs plays. However, the big key to this game is not gonna be whether McKelvin or Youbouty steps up to McGee levels, it is going to be the amount of pressure generated by the pass rush of the Bills on AZ. Fitzgerald, Breaston and perhaps Boldin are quality receivers who can take down most things in their vicinity with only a slight difference in who is covering them as long as the CBs are adequate (which Greer, Youbouty and McKelvin though it is still early in the rookies career). The key is for us to generate pressure on every pass play and get a few sacks as well so Warner has difficulty throwing accurate passes in the vicinity of these receivers.

If we get pressure we will get more INTs, if the pressure is muted then it matters less really who the CB is because no one is going to cover these monsters if Warner has the time to throw accurately.

Right, and we haven't seen the defense in "attack mode" since the Seattle game. I already stated why I think this is- Buffalo is still trying to conceal what we're capable of while we collect wins against weaker opponents.

However, their receivers are the first real passing threat we've faced this season, and heading into the bye week, like eball suggested, is the perfect time to let it rip.

I can't say for sure what Sunday's strategy will be, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the defense come out ROARING in the first half. If the offense can build a lead, I don't see AZ coming back to win. I just don't. Their defense is simply too weak to keep them in games.

As usual, this game comes down to matchups. Cards strength is clearly their passing game. McGee is out for the Bills, so advantage AZ. If Boldin can't go, that is neutralized somewhat. The matchup of the Bills defensive line vs AZ Oline will determine this game. Warner is immobile and has had trouble protecting the ball late in his career. If the bills lose the pass rush matchup, they will lose the game. The other critical matchup is our O-line vs AZ DL. Their secondary was pretty horrible vs Jets. Most of Favres TD passes were to crazily wide open receivers. If TE gets time, we will take advantage of that. AZ is sure to send plenty of blitzes our way a la Oakland and Rams. We've had trouble with this and can expect to see more of it until we show we can handle it.Several Bills players mentioned early blitzes and stunts that they hadn't seen on film from Raiders and Rams as contributing to their slow starts. Some well timed screens to Fred Jackson might be in order here. But the key matchups in this game are on the lines. Our pass rush has only been adequate to date, and this is the most prolific passing offense we will have faced to date. Bills could be exposed in this one, I'm afraid.

True, and we've seen that two weeks in a row. I was never worried about the STL game, even when we were losing, and we outscored them 25-0 in the second half. IMO, a desperate Oakland is more dangerous than a desperate AZ because their defense is A LOT stronger. I suppose it's good that we got OAK at home then, but if Boldin's out, I'm not sure just how dangerous this AZ team can have, due completely to their lack of weaponry...more to come on that.

Edge is not a weapon. He's rushed for 277 yards in four games. And after him they have NOTHING. I'd say McFadden is a better back at this point in time, and without question Steven Jackson presents WAY more of a threat.

They have NO weapons on the defensive side of the ball whatsoever, so I agree with you that if we get it started early, it'll be an easy one to close.

I think these so-called "weapons" are more of a tall-tale than anything else.

IIRC, Buffalo was down by only 9 going into the fourth quarter. And then JP took a massive crap all over his career in Buffalo. Plus we went home to away and they're doing the opposite. Not that any of this helps my argument...

Among the weapons, you're forgetting Warner. For all of his flaws, he's capable of putting up lots of points on the board. He always has been.

Bottom line -- I don't see this as a "pull out all the stops" type of game for the Cards. In fact, one might make the argument Buffalo places more importance on the game because they'd like to keep their momentum going into the bye week.

Just food for thought.

Agreed about Zona......non conference and non division games tend to fly under the radar a bit more in terms of importance. But the same can be said for the Bills as well. I'll take "Momemtum" for $200, Alex.

As usual, this game comes down to matchups. Cards strength is clearly their passing game. McGee is out for the Bills, so advantage AZ. If Boldin can't go, that is neutralized somewhat. The matchup of the Bills defensive line vs AZ Oline will determine this game. Warner is immobile and has had trouble protecting the ball late in his career. If the bills lose the pass rush matchup, they will lose the game. The other critical matchup is our O-line vs AZ DL. Their secondary was pretty horrible vs Jets. Most of Favres TD passes were to crazily wide open receivers. If TE gets time, we will take advantage of that. AZ is sure to send plenty of blitzes our way a la Oakland and Rams. We've had trouble with this and can expect to see more of it until we show we can handle it.Several Bills players mentioned early blitzes and stunts that they hadn't seen on film from Raiders and Rams as contributing to their slow starts. Some well timed screens to Fred Jackson might be in order here. But the key matchups in this game are on the lines. Our pass rush has only been adequate to date, and this is the most prolific passing offense we will have faced to date. Bills could be exposed in this one, I'm afraid.

While true, how many times are other teams going to adopt a strategy which only had minimal effects in the game? We won both of those games, and in the case of STL, had the pash rush neutralized by the second half. I'd argue that this strategy of turning up the blitz doesn't "work" against Buffalo. It's only succeeded in slowing us down.

"Edge is not a weapon. He's rushed for 277 yards in four games. And after him they have NOTHING. I'd say McFadden is a better back at this point in time, and without question Steven Jackson presents WAY more of a threat."

I disagree, Tim Hightower is not NOTHING. He's actually something and has shown an ability to get in the end zone and catch passes out of the backfield so far in limited action. I personally view NOTHING as say a Shaud Williams as your number 2 RB.

I'm at the point where I don't care if the other team is playing desperate, to save the coach, to get off the snide or to get a win before a perceived tougher opponet arrives on the schedule. So far, this team has proven that they'll overcome all of those obstacles and get the "W."

I don't think Arizona has a snowball's chance in the desert of winning against the Bills.