I may get flamed but, is Jackson better than Lynch?

Reed83HOF

I love them both but I have to give the edge to Marshawn.

I don't think defenses play run as much when they see Freddie in the game so that he has a little more space to work with. Marshawn seems to be sent into the teeth of stacked defenses play after play. He has picked up a number of absolutely critical first downs when it looked like the play was going to be a total failure. In fact, it has bothered me a bit that our offense has not been able to get Marshawn through the line cleanly so that he could get some speed up and and have room to make a move or two as often as we should.

Really, this is a great problem to have.

Freddie is the Jabari Greer of the offense.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are complimentary. Both valuable, both key contributors. It is great to have both. Although their running styles are different it seems like they both fit within the offensive scheme. Both can catch well out of the backfield. Marshawn clearly is more shifty laterally and more powerful, I think Freddie is better in space. Freddie is more subtle and uses pauses and shoulder leans to set up his move while Marshawn is a dervish of pumping churning legs and power.

Yes. Lynch is just crazy the way he disdains all for every inch. But that style isn't conducive to longevity. With Fast Freddie, Lynch is getting necessary 'spells' and there's little dropoff in production. Together they're formidable enough that the team should be 4-0. Wait.. :w00t:

:thumbdown:

Lynch has those large side-steps that he does that are long and drawn out and hurt him. Jackson is quicker and faster and doesn't move east-west, but certainly not as powerful as Lynch who is outstanding with his power. I believe Jackson is more talented (flame away) and has superior vision and watches his blockers more.

Lynch will never be "great", but very much above average to good. I really believe Jackson could not take an entire 16 game work-load, Lynch can. We are lucky to have a good combo, but I believe Jackson is better and would get more yards and scares D's a lot more with versatility. No one fear Lynch breaking one in the back-field at this point, D's don't know if Jackson will be lined up behind Edwards or split out wide where he's uncoverable as a WR to a LB.

Running hard and like a "beast" is great, but that doesn't make him better. One of the best runners I've seen was Priest Holmes who just watched his blockers and knew how to hit holes. Nothing fancy, but he knew how to make plays.

I agree totally with your assessment, especially about Jackson's vision

The problem is that BOTH RB get stymied when we run from the I formation; NEITHER get consistent product THIS year when we try to play smash mouth football. Freddy is beneficial of getting a few key runs from the spread (even though his 22 yard TD run was from the I!). Hindsight; 2 questionable calls took 40 yards away from Lynch.

It is PAINFULLY obvious of our tendency to run on first down with that group. Teams run blitz when we do; the only alternate we do is a bootleg with a pass to the TE in the flat. FINALLY they use a playaction and went deep on first down on the game clinching bomb to Lee. The Bills should run more from the spread as it keeps the defense honest. The FB doesn't over the advantage in the run and that combined with lack of threat at TE or FB in the passing game limits the offense. I also think that both Lynch and Jackson run better in space and that the O-line while massive block better on the move in open space than straight ahead. Look, while Fowler is not as bad as some make him out to be, he is definitely not a mauler. When the 8th man comes up in the box, we can't get that inside push and get stuffed. When we pull, at least the RBs get a running start to get momentum to move the pile and with there great cutback, vision, and open field running abilities they are dangerous on the outside.

Honestly, if the Bills used more playaction in any personell grouping, stick to more high percentage throws which are Trents speciality and build off those with double moves and deep attempts to keep the defense honest, the running and the offense as a whole will be more consistent.

For what it is worth, of the top 32 rushers (by yardage), only three have fewer yards per carry.

I love ML's tenacity as a runner, but I would like to see his rushing average go up. This is not directed to him only. This is a reflection on the running game as whole -- including the offensive line.

I will say this though, I loved the way the line blocked on that TD against the Raiders last week. That was a thing of beauty.

In the end, we are 4-0 for the first time in a long, long time. It is hard to find fault with this team.

Go Bills.

Yes. Lynch is just crazy the way he disdains all for every inch. But that style isn't conducive to longevity. With Fast Freddie, Lynch is getting necessary 'spells' and there's little dropoff in production. Together they're formidable enough that the team should be 4-0. Wait.. :w00t:

:thumbdown:

I completely agree. It's nice to see him getting fewer carries per game this year. Yes, his stat line doesn't look as good. But, if it keeps him fresher throughout the season and keeps him on the teams a few extra seasons; it's more than worth it.

Jackson looks very good out there. For the first time in a long time, I don't feel bad at all when our #1 back (Lynch) comes out on a critical down. However, I think alot of Jackson's success can be attributed to defenses keying in on Lynch and Jackson coming in, in less predicatable situations. His TD run yesterday, for example, was a typical passing down, not a run up the middle down.