Michael Huff Vs. Donte Whitner

I know there have been many threads dedicated to the selection of Donte Whitner at number 8 and whether or not he was/is worth it.

But three seasons later, isn't it odd to think about our defense if Huff actually fell to us and we selected him over Whitner? I'm not going to totally dog Huff because I can't imagine how difficult it must be to develop as a player in Oakland. But Whitner clearly has leadership ability that you don't find too often. I just keep feeling better and better about that pick, and I think we lucked out with Huff going to Oakland.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Buffalo didnt get Huff I was REAL disapointed!!!!! Then we selected Whitner and honestly I was pissed. PISSED.......I got a call from my brother whos a Giants fan, I asked him about Whitner due to the fact he was a Michigan fan aswell, hes say hey Bro.......you guys got a player in Whitner. He even said a few years from now Whitner will be more of an asset then Huff.......well looky looky.......Whitner is the man! I love his attitude......definite team leader!

I think Whitner is developing well. But we had our choice of Ngata or Cutler. I would have traded down and picked Whitner - if I I was so hot on him. Or picked Ngata. But if this was a luxury pick - which it wasn't - I would have gotten Cutler.

I work at Vandy. You could tell the kid was something special. Plus he's from Santa Claus, IND. You gotta love that.

C

I think Whitner is developing well. But we had our choice of Ngata or Cutler. I would have traded down and picked Whitner - if I I was so hot on him. Or picked Ngata. But if this was a luxury pick - which it wasn't - I would have gotten Cutler.

I work at Vandy. You could tell the kid was something special. Plus he's from Santa Claus, IND. You gotta love that.

C

I remember hearing that Marv was nuts about Cutler. I agree he would've been the perfect fit for Buffalo's climate and mentality. I understand why they didn't pull the trigger though - drafing JC a year or two after the Losman pick would've sent a seriously negative message to the entire organization, i.e., We're blowing this up yet again. That said, they ultimately ended up blowing it up yet again... hindsight is 20-20.

C

The word is that Whitner would not have been there later. They didn't need Cutler, as they had JP. Ngata would have been a good choice, and the one I expected. In retrospect, I'm glad they took Whitner.

Don't you know that OSU DB's are a required 1-3 round pick every year???? Get with it. :(

You can do far far worse than picking an OSU DB. Seems to me they have a pretty outstanding track record in the NFL.

Of course, even I'm hoping we don't feel the need to take an player early next year for the secondary...

You can do far far worse than picking an OSU DB. Seems to me they have a pretty outstanding track record in the NFL.

Of course, even I'm hoping we don't feel the need to take an player early next year for the secondary...

They are our DB farm team! And, yes, you can do far worse.