OT- Does anyone else feel bad for Ed Hochuli?

Hochuli has clearly been one of the NFL's most respected and consistent referees for years now. The guy blows one call, albiet in a very large spot, that helps lead to a different outcome in a game and now he has to receive hate mail and face public humliation like this? Not to mention, although he did make the incorrect call, this could have been nulified if the league didn't have the ridiculous rule that says you can never use instant replay to review a play like this particular one that was blown dead. The guy is obviously sympathetic for what he did, and is even responding to these idiots e-mails. Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of people, especially hundreds of these San Diego fans, are going a little overboard. Hey, stop the Broncos on one, just one, of the SAME two plays they ran BACK-TO-BACK to score the touchdown and then take the lead with the 2 pt conversion, and San Diego goes home with the win anyways.

Nobody really deserves hate mail or threats or anything like that for a blown call in a football game. I know money rides on stuff like this, but that's just wrong.

I don't necessarily feel bad for Hochuli, because he made his own bed here, but I respect him for responding to everyone. He seems like a stand-up guy who readily admits his own mistakes.

SD fans shouldn't be too upset at him, since they did have a chance to win the game after Hochuli's gaffe.

Nobody really deserves hate mail or threats or anything like that for a blown call in a football game. I know money rides on stuff like this, but that's just wrong.

I don't necessarily feel bad for Hochuli, because he made his own bed here, but I respect him for responding to everyone. He seems like a stand-up guy who readily admits his own mistakes.

SD fans shouldn't be too upset at him, since they did have a chance to win the game after Hochuli's gaffe.

exactly!

I do. The critisism on him is way overboard. Way way overboard.

I agree. Hochuli has been a referee for 17 years now, and is a very well respected one. Yes, he made a mistake, and it happened to be a crucial moment in the game. Referees are humans too and he is merely unlucky that his mistake occurred with 1 minute left in a tight game and not 1 minute left in a laugher. My question is this...how come when Hochuli blows a whistle on what he believed to be an incomplete pass (mostly because one of his fellow refs signaled incomplete), he gets torn to pieces, but if he had done something that happens more often like missing an obvious hold, people would be saying "well, they can't get them all right"?

Hochuli deserves criticism for this, but it was an honest mistake and nothing more. Those who send death threats to a man simply trying to do his job need to take a serious look in the mirror.

Jerry Jones said that Hochuli is one of the most criticized referees.

In Jerry's eyes, maybe. Despite Jerry's massive ego believing otherwise, Jerry doesn't really speak for the entire league, so Jones pissing and moaning about Hochuli from his owner's box does not necessarily equate to "he's one of the most criticized refs in the league."

I feel bad for Hochuli. I think he is a stand up guy and usually a very good referee. I believe it was an honest mistake.

Who was the ref for the just give it to them game? If that was Ed please retract my above statement

It definitely wasn't Hochuli.

I want to say it was Walt Coleman (who was definitely the ref for the tuck rule game), but it was the sideline refs who made the "just give it to 'em" call.

If the game a 7-10 final score in a hard fought defensive battle I would have a bigger problem with it. If your D gives up over 30 points, and your trying to pin the offical for the loss because of a blown call...

It definitely wasn't Hochuli.

I want to say it was Walt Coleman (who was definitely the ref for the tuck rule game), but it was the sideline refs who made the "just give it to 'em" call.

Was it Phil Luckman Luckett? Or was that Home Run Forward Pass? Or both? :thumbsup:

Edit: Thanks NG...

Agreed, although I'm not sure what my stance would be had the Bills been the victim of that call.

At least he immediately admitted his mistake, takes quite a person to do that.

His integtrity should be applauded but what if the Chargers end up missing the playoffs by just 1 game?

Does his integrity matter at that point?

Agreed.

The NFL is far more to blame by still restricting replay in this manner. The replay restrictions are slowly being done away with, but only after some team or official gets burned by them, one by one. The restrictions were understandable when replay was first instituted and not fully understood. We've had replay for, what, a decade now? I think the rules committee can adequately predict the reaction when the restriction are removed now....

Hochuli has clearly been one of the NFL's most respected and consistent referees for years now. The guy blows one call, albiet in a very large spot, that helps lead to a different outcome in a game and now he has to receive hate mail and face public humliation like this? Not to mention, although he did make the incorrect call, this could have been nulified if the league didn't have the ridiculous rule that says you can never use instant replay to review a play like this particular one that was blown dead. The guy is obviously sympathetic for what he did, and is even responding to these idiots e-mails. Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of people, especially hundreds of these San Diego fans, are going a little overboard. Hey, stop the Broncos on one, just one, of the SAME two plays they ran BACK-TO-BACK to score the touchdown and then take the lead with the 2 pt conversion, and San Diego goes home with the win anyways.

Rest assured, if it were our beloved Bills instead of the Chargers, this board would be EXPLODING on Hochuli!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know what game he is doing this weekend? If it happens to be the Bills game, I issue a challange to all Bills fans attending the game to cheer for him when he comes walking outta the tunnel.......cause I will. The guy is still one of the best in the game as a ref. Honestly, if that play happens in the 1st or 2nd even 3rd quarter we wouldnt be talking about it.