Automotive Question for those who may know

The Poojer

Does the 1991 Ford Explorer 4.0 V-6, 5-speed manual transmission have a timing belt or timing chain? trying to find it on line but have not found it yet. thanks in advance for any info

When you called the service department of a Ford dealer, they wouldn't tell you?

Do they still make engines with timing chains?? I thought that was done away with in the 1980's

Usually in trucks... My 2006 Jeep still has the old cast iron, I-6. I thought Found On Road Dead usually use plastic belts... On "interference" engines, you risk major engine damage if one of those cheapos goes out on the road. I think most belts have a metal core.

??

Do they still make engines with timing chains?? I thought that was done away with in the 1980's

Plenty. There is a turn away from belt-driven overhead cams. GM's eco-4, Hyundai's 2009 I-4 for example. Honda was the last to produce "interference" engines - I think they stopped that, along with the reverse crank rotation but a few years ago.

GM still has pushrod V-6s, and V-8s. Which is smart...3, 4 inch less width to fit into the engine compartment. OHC, DOHC are not the be-all and end-all...these GM motors provide fine power.

Pushrod motors are far from dead. Variable valve timing has been implemented on such, BTW.

Plenty. There is a turn away from belt-driven overhead cams. GM's eco-4, Hyundai's 2009 I-4 for example. Honda was the last to produce "interference" engines - I think they stopped that, along with the reverse crank rotation but a few years ago.

GM still has pushrod V-6s, and V-8s. Which is smart...3, 4 inch less width to fit into the engine compartment. OHC, DOHC are not the be-all and end-all...these GM motors provide fine power.

Pushrod motors are far from dead. Variable valve timing has been implemented on such, BTW.

Good insight!

My 1998 Isuzu was "interference"... I was relgious about changing the timing belt on schedule.

The Honda Passport was a "rebadged" Rodeo... Kinda wierd though with the Honda thing, since Isuzu is 40% GM owned and considered to be the "GMC line" for the Japaense. No?

Good insight!

My 1998 Isuzu was "interference"... I was relgious about changing the timing belt on schedule.

The Honda Passport was a "rebadged" Rodeo... Kinda wierd though with the Honda thing, since Isuzu is 40% GM owned and considered to be the "GMC line" for the Japaense. No?

The Isuzu - GM alliance is based on industrial truck and agricultural implements, in the main. Small GM trucks and suv's have worn the Isuzu badge for several years - more or less a GM concession to keep the Isuzu name in the US passenger car market. That's over now - Isuzu leaves soon.

The last pure Isuzu available in the States IIRCe was the the 2-door Impulse sporty car. Its' RWD chassis and engine were adequate but mundane, but it was stunningly styled. IIRC, the styling was performed by one of the Italian studios - Pininfarina, Bertone, Ghia...I forget which.

The Italian style houses are legendary. For in-house styling, GM is the world leader...Ford, Chrysler, the Germans, the Japs...not close.