One Last Seattle review... Then on to Jax

Dr. Trooth

Guest dog14787
I do not want to beat any dead horses, but there are several questionable statements in such a small space. If he is not going to block, then why line him up at TE? Why not split him wide? Also, this rumor, if it is based on someone making a suggestion on a message board, is probably about as far from well thought out as I can imagine. Third, TE put on a few pounds of muscle but did not change his basic body type. Hardy would have to do much more to be a TE, so much that the very idea is silly. Besides, to go back to my original point, why not let him play a few seasons at his actual position before dreaming up new positions?

Go Bills!

Still, James Hardy would have to be accounted for even if its just to cover him. Sometimes in doing so, it might even tie up two defensive players. :nana:

Its just a rumor, no way to know if it means anything, Its an interesting rumor though.

They did not play lights out on offense, thats for sure. But this offense looked totally different then last year other then the 3rd down conversion rate, which i agree needs to improve. Turks play calling is agressive and he had Lee moving all over the field causing matchup problems, infact if Trent had not under thrown Lee on another attempted go route, Lee's stats woulda been somewhere in the 150 yrds, TD.

The special Teams set up the offense nicely on the 2 FG drives as you mentioned, but the offense still had to move the ball into FG range so i gotta give the offense credit for those points. So as i see it 20 pts on opening day against a really good defense without our LT is a hell of a start. But your right, they need to get better, starting this week. Oh and if your talking about the field postion on the ST turnover on Royals TD, last year that woulda been a FG....that in itself should give everyone hope that this offense will be much improved, great throw by Trent.

Don't forget that the rain was a factor as well. Once the rain stopped and TE got the rust off they looked much better. Hopefully no rain in J-Ville so we can gauge it better.

Offensively... I must say I was a bit disappointed. I saw none of this high octane offense that was presumed to happen with Turk. Look a lot like the same ole same ole to me. Granted, they played against a very good defense, even if they were minus their best DT (Bernard) and Tatupu not 100%. The offensive line played well, Marshawn and Jackson played well, the receivers played well. And, the special teams essentially gift wrapped 21 of the 34 points. That means, essentially, of drives they had, they managed 13 points. In my opinion, that aint gonna cut it.

Were you at the game? The weather was not the best - raining quite hard at times. You have to take that into account.

Our offense looked better but we still had some bad tendences the famous Josh reed in motion and the run play to other side showed up a few times. My gf who only watches football when im there picked that one up. It was definitly better but it still needs work IMO

Oh no, not the famous "even my gf noticed the predictable play calling" again.... :nana:

Guest dog14787

I think its safe to say Buffalo played well in many area's. Special teams and defense stepped up big and despite the bad weather and TE's rust, the offense looked O.K. coming out of the gate. :nana:

It doesn't surprise me, allot of us don't know how to act starting out 1-0 with what even the Seahawks are calling a good, sound, beaten. We are still not hitting on all 7 cylnders ( joke :nana: ) and I have to agree with Dr Trooth that there is room for improvement on offense. I also expect the Jags to throw enough wrinkles at TE this weekend to still leave some questions unanswered. May not be until 4-5 games in to the season before TE gets into a good rythm.

We need big play again from the Defense and Special teams this week to assure ourselves of a victory against the Jags.

I'm not saying the offense is perfect, but a few things to consider:

1) We were up so much that we coasted for the last probably quarter and a half of the game. That skews the stats.

2) The rain skews the stats

3) Seattle is a great defense and was pretty much totally healthy. 20 points (23 if you count the blocked FG--which was Chambers' fault) is pretty good.

4) First game of the season

5) Missed opportunities (e.g., the dropped screen to Lynch would have been a huge gain)

Offensively... I must say I was a bit disappointed. I saw none of this high octane offense that was presumed to happen with Turk. Look a lot like the same ole same ole to me. Granted, they played against a very good defense, even if they were minus their best DT (Bernard) and Tatupu not 100%. The offensive line played well, Marshawn and Jackson played well, the receivers played well. And, the special teams essentially gift wrapped 21 of the 34 points. That means, essentially, of drives they had, they managed 13 points. In my opinion, that aint gonna cut it.

Allright, 25 yr bills fan and lurker making my first post here.

While I agree that there are still plenty of things this team could do better (more consistent running and 2nd receiver play among them), I don't think you can just say that the offense only scored 13 points so its not good enough.

1) take away the trick field goal and the offense still would have most likely gotten 3 out of it.

2) ST did put the offense in position for the second TD, but the offense did actually score it on a nice 30 yd pass, I guess they get no credit for that

3) Game was over after 3 quarters, Bills could've scored more but stopped trying

4) Rain made everything difficult in the first half (though that can't be used as an excuse, got to play the game in the weather thats there)

So while calling this game the most impressive offensive performance ever would be dishonest, calling it a shiny t u r d is similarly dishonest. There was no reason to run up the score to prove to anyone the offense was capable. Do we know if this offense will score 25+ consistently, no, but at the same time we don't know that they wont. I think it was a solid outing, especially given the weather, and will hold judgment on the offense until they've got a few games under their belts.

Guest dog14787

While I agree that there are still plenty of things this team could do better (more consistent running and 2nd receiver play among them), I don't think you can just say that the offense only scored 13 points so its not good enough.

1) take away the trick field goal and the offense still would have most likely gotten 3 out of it.

2) ST did put the offense in position for the second TD, but the offense did actually score it on a nice 30 yd pass, I guess they get no credit for that

3) Game was over after 3 quarters, Bills could've scored more but stopped trying

4) Rain made everything difficult in the first half (though that can't be used as an excuse, got to play the game in the weather thats there)

So while calling this game the most impressive offensive performance ever would be dishonest, calling it a shiny t u r d is similarly dishonest. There was no reason to run up the score to prove to anyone the offense was capable. Do we know if this offense will score 25+ consistently, no, but at the same time we don't know that they wont. I think it was a solid outing, especially given the weather, and will hold judgment on the offense until they've got a few games under their belts.

Welcome big_ mac, everyone loves a big_mac :nana:

Good points, Big Mac, and further to the point of the topic - "On to Jax".

The pressure up the middle by the D-line was most gratifying, but that was last week. The coaches have already picked apart every weakness they can find in Jacksonville's potential game plan, and the game we see this week will have significant differences from the game in Buffalo last Sunday. Different venue, different weather, different strengths to be exercised, different weaknesses to be exploited. Count on it. I'm guessing the coaching staff had this sort of eventuality laid out back in August..."If we do well here, let's roll in Play X, Y, and Z". Del Rio will see some different looks this week, trust me.

The mark of a great team is putting "last week" into "last week", win or lose, and playing this week like it's a new season opener. Let's see what the Bills bring to the table.

Bills 24-10. Bills pull away from Jacksonville in the fourth quarter, and it's Lynch, Lynch, Lynch. Have a bad day.

Guest dog14787

Everyone fill up your gas tanks and say a prayer for our fellow Texans, I hope all my old friends back in Bay City stay safe and dry, they could be in for a rough one tonight. :nana:

I'm going to put the onus squarley on The QB... and here's why...

The bills had 8 3rd down situations of 5 or more yards in which they passed on. Of those 8 pass attempts,

only twice did Edwards throw the ball beyond the first down marker. To me, you can look it a couple different ways...

1) Trent took care of the ball and didn't caus a turnover.... basically playing not to lose.

2) Trent is the same old dink and dunk Trent that ain't got the moxie to challenge the defense and huck the seed downfield.

And, can dink and dunk Trent exploit Greggo's high risk high reward schemes and gouge that D? I don't know those answers.

Simply amazing.

The kid won his 6th game in 10 tries, this time without his pro bowl LT, and you not only focus all negative attention on him, you have a nasty litle nickname for him. How cute. :nana:

You sir have every right to your opinion, however unreasonable. If you think that Trent is supposed to show us Dan Marino or Joe Montana consistency after 10 starts (6 wins), please tell us what you thought of the qb situation before he took the field? Could you also give us a suggestion as to how we can fix the mess of a 34-10 win? Is is time to take out "dink and dunk" and move "toss and loss" Losman and his 10-21 record back into the starting role?

If he stays healthy for 7 weeks, Trent will probably have more wins by midseason than JP will have amassed in 4 years. He will improve, but it takes a bit of time for a qb to reach his peak. One would think that you would know this.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying the win, and watching a very promising player develop.

......The bills had 8 3rd down situations of 5 or more yards in which they passed on. Of those 8 pass attempts,

only twice did Edwards throw the ball beyond the first down marker. To me, you can look it a couple different ways...

1) Trent took care of the ball and didn't caus a turnover.... basically playing not to lose.

2) Trent is the same old dink and dunk Trent that ain't got the moxie to challenge the defense and huck the seed downfield......

Kind of interesting.

Perhaps he does still check down too quickly in 3rd & 5+ too much.....but of his 30 passes attempted 6 were of 21 yards or longer....4 of which were completed for 127yards & a TD. 1 in 5 pass attempts was long.....and overall the deep passing game was very successful on the day.

Dink and dunk? :nana:

Kind of interesting.

Perhaps he does still check down too quickly in 3rd & 5+ too much.....but of his 30 passes attempted 6 were of 21 yards or longer....4 of which were completed for 127yards & a TD. 1 in 5 pass attempts was long.....and overall the deep passing game was very successful on the day.

Dink and dunk? :unsure:

pwned.

My impression of the Seattle game... sans the rose colored glasses. I'm in agreement with R. Rich and a lot of what he posted earlier this week.

A win is a win is a win.

1) Special teams proved why they are top 3 in in the league, if not, outright the best. They are simply damn good and championship calibre.

2) What the hell is all the fuss about the Oline? They weren't perfect, but they were solid as hell against a decent defense. I have, no concerns with this unit... especially considering they will soon be enhanced with the return of Peters.

3) The defense appeared to be much improved... however, it is difficult to get a clear picture of where they really are.... and I state this, because... in the spirit of "keeping it real" we must acknowledge that Seattle came ino this game with...

1. They are the best! And have been consistent through these last few years. All they lack is the TD's to go with that great field position we have been blessed with.

2. I don't recall reading a threading criticizing the O-line negatively. Where did this come from? What I did see what props for Chambers for pwning Kearney the whole game. That one sack was blamed on TE for holding the ball too long from what others have said. I don't remember this play.

3. You don't know how good that defensive front is? They dominated their line, who happened to be intact from last year IIRC and they were healthy for last week! The Hawks O-line performance had nothing to do with their WR's. Seattle couldn't run from the start of the game and of course their passing game would suffer. Hassleback didn't have time to throw at any time because he was being rushed on almost every down or looked like it but we you go watch the highlights alot of the time there were no extra rushers from the LB corps or the DB's.

TE had helluva time completing passed in the first half because of the weather. Matt did to and his receivers were also dropping those wet balls. But in the 2nd half Trent complete like 90% of his passed then.

I think it's dumb to put your faith in a rookie QB to carry this team this year. It all falls on the rest of the veterans on this club if we are to get to those glorious highs at the end of the year.

One thing no one seems to be talking about is the weather. I was there and I can tell you that the conditions were bizarre and often difficult, if not impossible, to pass in. The winds were swirling and changing direction. There was heavy rain and hail at times. In the first quarter the Bills were driving into the wind, and it seemed like the rain and wind doubled their intensity every time the Bills had a third down. I've been to the Ralph many times and I've never really seen anything like it.

Mt point is only that I wasn't surprised Edwards struggled on the early third downs, it seemed impossible to me to pass in those situations.

One thing no one seems to be talking about is the weather. I was there and I can tell you that the conditions were bizarre and often difficult, if not impossible, to pass in. The winds were swirling and changing direction. There was heavy rain and hail at times. In the first quarter the Bills were driving into the wind, and it seemed like the rain and wind doubled their intensity every time the Bills had a third down. I've been to the Ralph many times and I've never really seen anything like it.

Mt point is only that I wasn't surprised Edwards struggled on the early third downs, it seemed impossible to me to pass in those situations.

I agree and mentioned that as well earlier. The first half was very difficult for both QB's. The second half it stopped raining and his completion percetage went thru the roof.

I thought the play calling was much improved. Even basic plays seemed better, as they are less predictable when run out of different alignments.

There were a handful of plays, that didn't work, but that I still absolutely LOVED.

It's true, Trent wasn't outstanding, particularly not in the 1st half. But, he was far from terrible, and had some passes dropped as well. (Some of those drops he contributed to with passes that lacked touch...but he got that straightened out.)

I also suspect that, with the Bills being in command of the game (thank's in great part to the ST and D), Turk was a bit more conservative than he would have been had they not established that lead.

Rich and Trooth are right to point out that, despite the win, there are some concerns. We don't know if the O has been turned around, and Trent still has some work to do. But, I thought there were signs that both of those things show improvement over last year, and there is reason to believe they will continue to improve.

Bottom line, though, is: It was only one game, and it was against a team that had few weapons. Let's not overrate this team, quite yet. But, let's not dismiss a nice win, either. Hey, I enjoy every one of them.