Marty Schottenheimer on Sirius

devldog131

I do think Marty knows what he's talking about, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was a phenomenal game last week, albeit against a banged up Seahawk team.

Don't get me wrong - I have higher expectations of this team than I did in the previous two years and I was more than satisfied with the win last week, but we all remember 2003, right? The Bills were considered Superbowl material after whooping the Pats* and Jags to go 2-0....and then Travis Henry threw an option pass in Miami....

Let's give these guys a few more weeks. I think Jacksonville will be better than they were last week, so the Bills are in for a fight. As long as they bring the same effort against the Jags as they did against Seattle, they can win.

I don't see a blowout on either side - I think this one will be close, perhaps a 20-16 or 23-20 final in Buffalo's favor. A lot depends on the Jags o-line and whether or not they can run the ball.

I'm guessing you mean things vanish between them(like running games, quarterbacks and loose footballs)?

Showing your age, devldog131 -- the original Bermuda Triangle appeared for the Bills in 1980. Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett, and Shane Nelson.

I do think Marty knows what he's talking about, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was a phenomenal game last week, albeit against a banged up Seahawk team.

I don't see a blowout on either side - I think this one will be close, perhaps a 20-16 or 23-20 final in Buffalo's favor. A lot depends on the Jags o-line and whether or not they can run the ball.

Well, the Jax O is not a symbol of health & experience either. I think a lot depends on how our O performs against their D. I expect our D to dominate and a score from the D will go a long way to ensuring a win.

Well, the Jax O is not a symbol of health & experience either. I think a lot depends on how our O performs against their D. I expect our D to dominate and a score from the D will go a long way to ensuring a win.

That's the key, for sure. And I agree that any score from our D or special teams would be a huge advantage -- as in any game, but particularly in a game that I expect the offense to struggle a bit in, like this one.

Showing your age, devldog131 -- the original Bermuda Triangle appeared for the Bills in 1980. Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett, and Shane Nelson.

Yeah, I guess that would have to be an age moment there, I wasn't born until 1981 and didn't get into the Bills until probably 86 or 87(was a fan prior, but was not obsessed like I have been from that point)

...but we all remember 2003, right? The Bills were considered Superbowl material after whooping the Pats* and Jags to go 2-0....and then Travis Henry threw an option pass in Miami....

I'm sure my memory will be challenged here, but re-watch the Bills opening day victory over the P*ts and then re-watch this year's win vs. Seattle. I would argue that we didn't beat the P*ts so much as they lost. They were totally out of sync and the Bills were able to exploit that. But this past weekend's win was, to me, a well-rounded victory. Execution was, for the most part, excellent. I'm still trying to figure out how we shifted Walker to the left, shoved Chambers to the right, and went the entire game with a single penalty.

I don't recall who on SIRIUS NFL made the comment, but I would have to agree that once the weather calmed down, the Bills "truly looked to be in mid-season form."

Yeah, I guess that would have to be an age moment there, I wasn't born until 1981 and didn't get into the Bills until probably 86 or 87(was a fan prior, but was not obsessed like I have been from that point)

Can't wait until Sunday's game. This game will be a good show of where we are. (on the road.....)

I'm sure my memory will be challenged here, but re-watch the Bills opening day victory over the P*ts and then re-watch this year's win vs. Seattle. I would argue that we didn't beat the P*ts so much as they lost. They were totally out of sync and the Bills were able to exploit that. But this past weekend's win was, to me, a well-rounded victory. Execution was, for the most part, excellent. I'm still trying to figure out how we shifted Walker to the left, shoved Chambers to the right, and went the entire game with a single penalty.

I don't recall who on SIRIUS NFL made the comment, but I would have to agree that once the weather calmed down, the Bills "truly looked to be in mid-season form."

Good points, LA. The Pats* performed like a shell-shocked team against Buffalo that day.

One penalty in ANY game is amazing, much less the first game of the season -- and that one penalty (PI against Greer) was questionable.

I also recall in 2003 going to Jacksonville the next week and winning a game that was much closer than the score would lead you to believe. That game foretold of Buffalo's offensive woes as the season wore on. Of course, we were too delirious with the 2-0 start to realize it at the time.

Edit: just looked up the stats. Bledsoe had a great day, but the Bills rushed 32 times for 43 yards.

Marty had nothing but praise for the Bills, especially the defense. He says the Bills have a defense that just moves so fast the fill-ins on the Jag@ffs o-line won't be able to handle it or even keep up.

That's nice to hear! I always like to know what actual coaches or former coaches think about our team vs. idiots like Marsha Faulk or others that seem to have their own agenda. :cry:

You know that's exactly what I thought too at the time. I remember posting on another board that we still have some inadequacies that were evident at that time and we just had great timing for that game.

This time I feel like we DOMINATED from beginning to end, although my biggest fear is #2 WR in a tough game. Unless Royal becomes a threat in the passing game we might have some issues coming up and it's our Achilles heel. I'm hoping Roscoe can do half of what Welker did last year, and #2 position can pull a Stallworth of 50 receptions and 650 yards. If not I expect problems against better teams who stop the run. Our push from the O-line isn't good for any RBs, even from last year.

Get that straightened out and the sky is the limit and we can catch lightening in a bottle. I'm excited, for the first time since the late 90's and our freakish D.