Tom Donahoe signing Grey

San-O

This is a way of deflecting attention from the mediocre Buffalo

defense and horrible offense ranked like 15th in the league, so TD

can say we are on the right track after four years and and

try to get ownership and fans to think we are moving in the correct direction.

Why else would you do this now?

Really.

As a GM there is a lot on your plate (so I imagine). At some point in time you need to look at the contract status of the coaches. You get things done when they finally fall in place & get done.

You are reading way too much into the timing - it is not meant to be a smokescreen.

Were you thinking that Gray's signing was like Prez Bush capturing Bin Laden and then holding off on announcing it until days before the election? That's just whacked.

Look, even missing 2 defensive starters, they are in the top 10 in defense.  I am not thrilled with Gray, but based on the overall performance of the D you just get this done & lock him in when you can.  Period.

80155[/snapback]

O.K. I see your point. Just seems a little odd to me.

TD is known to throw smoke screens.

Why else would you do this now?

Really.

80117[/snapback]

AMEN. It's funny, when Gray had a lot less talent, his D's sucked. Even more disturbing, he hasn't really developed anyone. Most of the Bills impact D players were either here and established or they are the guys we signed.

Even with all the money spent on the D now, they still have major flaws. This move is JOKE!

AMEN.  It's funny, when Gray had a lot less talent, his D's sucked.  Even more disturbing, he hasn't really developed anyone.  Most of the Bills impact D players were either here and established or they are the guys we signed.

Even with all the money spent on the D now, they still have major flaws.  This move is JOKE!

80160[/snapback]

Terrence Mcgee, Ron Edwards, Schobel

Terrence Mcgee, Ron Edwards, Schobel

80172[/snapback]

OK, so outside of Schobel, can I please get a legit starter? Or is that too much to ask in 4 years? TD carries some blame there also. Still have no DE's. No DT's outside of what we bought or had. No LB's at all have been developed. No safeties. LOL, he's a joke.

But how about the guys we had to buy? Posey, Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Adams? Seems as all the impact guys have nothing to do with Gray at all.

Gray is a joke!

But how about the guys we had to buy?  Posey, Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Adams?  Seems as all the impact guys have nothing to do with Gray at all.

80179[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. Those guys all go out and coach themselves... :w00t:

OK, so outside of Schobel, can I please get a legit starter?  Or is that too much to ask in 4 years?  TD carries some blame there also.  Still have no DE's.  No DT's outside of what we bought or had.  No LB's at all have been developed.  No safeties.  LOL, he's a joke. 

But how about the guys we had to buy?  Posey, Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Adams?  Seems as all the impact guys have nothing to do with Gray at all.

Gray is a joke!

80179[/snapback]

So he sucks because he has good players that came in as FA? Wow. Brilliant.

Give me a friggin break.

80117[/snapback]

I couldn't disagree more.

The D is anything but "mediocre," and Gray is highly regarded as a DC. Locking him up ensures that we'll be compensated if he is offered a HC job elsewhere.

I couldn't disagree more.

The D is anything but "mediocre," and Gray is highly regarded as a DC.  Locking him up ensures that we'll be compensated if he is offered a HC job elsewhere.

80242[/snapback]

I don't think it works that way - I think he's allowed to break his contract to accept a head coaching position (no compensation).

If there is a reason for the timing of this, I think it might be a message to the 'D' (Sam Adams) after the message to the Offense cutting Shaw. Adams gets into a screaming match with his coach and then his coach gets an extension - says to me "Quit bitching about the system fat guy. We believe in it and expect you to do your job."

They're raving about Dick Lebeau over in Pittsburgh.

I'm not real big on this move. I don't think there was going to be a mad scramble for other teams to sign Jerry Gray away from us.

This D is not as dominant as it was last year, although part of that is not having Lawyer and Vincent on the field.

Consistantly giving up 3rd and long, 4th and long etc. is not the mark of a good D. Hopefully this will continue to improve as they did well against Miami.

Is it really the job of a D coordinator to develop players? I think that's the position coach's responsibility. The D coordinator should take the players he has and put them in a scheme that gives them the best chance to win.

RunTheBall

I don't think it works that way - I think he's allowed to break his contract to accept a head coaching position (no compensation).

80259[/snapback]

I don't think that's exactly correct, but it is the gentlemanly thing to do. A team does not have to release a signed assistant who is offered a HC position, but everyone does it because it's the right thing to do. I suspect that's what you meant :w00t:

Regarding the kick-off post to this thread ... UGH. I think some people on this board have way too much time on their hands and waste way too much negative energy on things that either make no sense or no one here has any control fixing. Anyone who seriously thinks TD extended Gray's contract to cover up ANYTHING, including a zit, needs a hobby or a library card. Ther local librarian can help them find the self help section.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Who the hell is gonna hire Jerry Gray as a head coach ? TD is the only gm who would make that move. Maybe he will be rookie coach #3.

The real problem is TD has drafted few players in the last couple of years that are any good on defense. Clements is good, real good imo. He's the only real player. Schobel is way overrated. McGee isn't bad. Edwards is a backup. Kelsay maybe. Denny stinks. Wire stinks. Anderson maybe. Crowell nothing.

One pro bowl type player, a couple of average players, and a lot of junk.

TD can't draft and it's starting to show up and be reflected in this team.

You don't think that Mike Mularkey had a say in this? It's his team and his coaching staff. There is zero chance that Mularkey didn't give this move a 100% endorsement. Mularkey needed some time to see if he would like Gray's work, and could work with him. With that firmly established after a third or so of the season, TD can get this taken care of and not worry about it in the off season when there are a lot of other things to do.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday
AMEN.  It's funny, when Gray had a lot less talent, his D's sucked.

80160[/snapback]

Gee, you think? You're right, he shouldn't be coaching in the NFL. I mean, if this guy couldn't make Raion Hill, Grant Irons, Ken Irvin and Leif Larsen into Pro Bowlers, what worth does he have?

I don't think that's exactly correct, but it is the gentlemanly thing to do.  A team does not have to release a signed assistant who is offered a HC position, but everyone does it because it's the right thing to do.  I suspect that's what you meant :lol:

80267[/snapback]

Nope - I think it's actually written down some where - because I remember it mentioned that it was modified last year - but I don't remember the exact details. Time for me to "google"

Nope - I think it's actually written down some where - because I remember it mentioned that it was modified last year - but I don't remember the exact details.  Time for me to "google"

80586[/snapback]

This is from a Len Pasquerreli story on ESPN

But under NFL rules, Blank had the right to deny the Bengals permission to hire Thomas, and he exercised that option.

Until three years ago, the Falcons would have been compelled to let Thomas leave, because the job represented a promotion. But there are now only two levels of coaches, assistants and head coaches, according to NFL guidelines. And an assistant coach under contract, as Thomas is, can only force a move if he is being offered a head coaching position.

I LOVE GOOGLE :lol:

Did anyone here think that maybe,just maybe it was Jerry Grey who had the contract offer a couple of months ago and was sitting on it,waiting to see if he agreed with the coaching tactics and ideas of MM or at least wanted to see if he could get along with him as the head coach,before signing an extension..? :lol: I think it is possible..

Gee, you think?  You're right, he shouldn't be coaching in the NFL.  I mean, if this guy couldn't make Raion Hill, Grant Irons, Ken Irvin and Leif Larsen into Pro Bowlers, what worth does he have?

80305[/snapback]

Never said pro bowlers. But christ, gimme a fuggin starter out of group of players that you have coached for TWO YEARS.