4 DEs? We rushed 4 DEs against Seattle

OCinBuffalo

I was able to d/l the game from this site: BitTorrent site. Pretty handy, and it only took about an hour.

As I was watching last night, I thought I was just tired when I thought I saw 4 DEs on the field. Then I watched it again. Copeland Bryan flew past the Shehawks line unblocked, causing "Hassled-a-lot" to step up right into Ryan Denney. He tried to throw another "non-intentional grounding" pass :rolleyes: but the refs correctly called it a sack.

At first I thought Denney was on a stunt, then I rewound it and realized that the D line was: Bryan, Kelsay, Denney, Schobel. :( We rushed 4 DEs and got an almost immediate sack. Bryan was unblocked because their RT stepped back and inside = he blocked nobody and left Bryan completely alone. Denney blew past both their C and RG and he got there next. I think their LG was trying to worry about Mitchell/Poz/Kelsay?. This left Schobel 1 v 1 on the LT and he whipped him and got there right after Denney. I think Kelsay was supposed to be the stunt guy, but it didn't matter because the play was over before he even had his chance.

I thought this was a great idea, especially on a third and long obvious pass play. Seattle had no idea who to block and it was an all out jailbreak in the backfield. Even the blocks they had lined up correctly, i.e. Denney, were no use because our quick DEs beat their blocker(s) anyway. As soon as the ball was snapped Denney's speed forced their C to turn sideways, essentially screening the other two O lineman on their right side, and he ran right past all 3 of them straight into the QB. Anybody else see this?

We have to use this package again, especially against QBs like Pennington, Favre, and the entire NFC and AFC West, because I doubt anybody can stop all 4 guys speed rushing at the same time on 3rd and long, and most of these teams have minimally mobile QBs.

Fewell or Kollar also put Kyle Williams on the end and rushed Schobel up the middle, and that caused havoc as well. All in all, I think I have two nicknames for our new and improved D line: Chaos Theory or Chaos Champions. :unsure: Also, I was interested in why it was Bryan out there, instead of Ellis.

Good observations! I'm sure Del Rio and Co. are sweating this today.

Also saw a tweak on the 'Creep', with Stroud in a standing position at the LOS at LDE.

Amazing what coaches can do with good personnel! I think their breaking Ellis (and the rookie class) in slowly -again- due to fine players ahead of them.

WAX JAX! :rolleyes:

At first I thought Denney was on a stunt, then I rewound it and realized that the D line was: Bryan, Kelsay, Denney, Schobel. :rolleyes:

Denney has played D tackle in obvoius passing downs since he came into the league. Kelsay has done it as well but not as frequently.

I saw a lot of interesting stunts and personnel combinations. The only one that I didn't like is there was one version of the creep where they had Stroud drop back off the line into pass covereage and he looked.....completely....lost.

I might stay away from that one and let him do what he does best, but the creativity I saw on both sides of the ball is much appreciated. Looks like DJ is letting both coordinators open things up a bit this year.

Was this one of the plays were the linemen stood upright the entire time instead of going down into a stance?

If yes, that was a formation we used last year with pretty good success...tho I'm not sure if we used all DEs before.

I don't dislike the idea but there is a MASSIVE difference between blitzing Hasselbeck and blitzing Favre. I know we're supposed to hate him because he's playing for the Jets but if you get crazy stupid with your scheme Favre is far more likely to make you pay for it.

Now against the rookie in NE it's a brilliant idea.

this furthers my (awesome) point that while stroud is a killer (our best maybe) without him on the pitch we still kicked ass.

this is due to our young guys being better, our vets being healthy, and our guys being fresh from not being out there running down 15 yard runs and passes all day.

it's not madden, aggression, confidence, having fun, and a good team spirit can big a huge boost (see the NYG last season).

He's a "rookie" not in the sense that it's his first year but in that it's his first season as a starter. He may know the offense an the playbook inside and out. That doesn't mean he's going to make the right decisions all the time. You can bet your ass that opposing defenses are going to take chances with him that they'd never take with Brady.

Apparently this is a part of the Bills' rush package known as the "sugar rush."

Yes, this is from the buffalo news:

Another clever scheme results in another third-quarter sack. The Bills feature their “Sugar Rush,” which is four defensive ends — Schobel, Ryan Denney, Kelsay and Copeland Bryan — up front. The four guys are in a stand-up position just off the line of scrimmage. On the snap, Posluszny and Mitchell join the pass rush, blitzing off the side of the formation. Seattle RT Ray Willis focuses on Mitchell, but that leaves Bryan unaccounted for. Bryan has a clean shot at Hasselbeck. Bryan can’t wrap Hasselbeck up, but Denney comes free up the middle to bring him down.