HOW WILSON CANNED BUTLER

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...s_insider_1220/

"if i can't hire you, i'll fire you..." i love it...

wilson $hits bigger than e. parker. wilson is one of the founders of the NFL. a great old american businessman -- in an era of instant gratification and greed. parker is messing the horns of an old bull. poor brandon is the middle man. this is great theater. go RALPH GO !

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...s_insider_1220/

"if i can't hire you, i'll fire you..." i love it...

wilson $hits bigger than e. parker. wilson is one of the founders of the NFL. a great old american businessman -- in an era of instant gratification and greed. parker is messing the horns of an old bull. poor brandon is the middle man. this is great theater. go RALPH GO !

But the facts are these: Wilson's contract offers weren't competitive. Despite being one of the most accomplished GM's in the league, and a shrewd judge of personnel, Butler's current salary was about $500,000, putting him in the lower third among his NFL peers. Wilson's last offer was in the range of $1 million, or even a little less than that, a figure he said was the average of the eight highest-paid general managers in the league.

With Green Bay's Ron Wolf setting the bar in the league at $2.2 million per year, and Colts GM Bill Polian earning a reported $1.3 million, Butler, 54, was in line for more than $1 million per year. Butler wasn't looking to hold the small-market Bills hostage, but he didn't accept Wilson's contract offers because he didn't believe they were in the ballpark.

Butler contends that he didn't see Wilson's axe coming, and takes exception with the perception that he was planning to draw Wilson into a bidding war for his services.

Great our owner is a tightwad- and a man of principle, he doesn't let concerns of winning interfere with his tightwadness- I admire that- I won't spend any money or much time watching it but I admire it yes indeedee

Who has a problem with this? Butler's heart was not in Buffalo. I would not keep a GM who I knew felt that way.

PTR

agreed...especially considering there was speculation at the time of tampering...reports that Butler was talking with the Chargers...and it wasn't about a trade of players or draft picks or anything

Great our owner is a tightwad- and a man of principle, he doesn't let concerns of winning interfere with his tightwadness- I admire that- I won't spend any money or much time watching it but I admire it yes indeedee

IIRC, Ralph was never enamored with John's business skills, which are part of the GM's portfolio of responsibilities--hence the reluctance to pay the the long dollars.

Butler's first and only love was scouting, which he'd undoubtedly tell you himself, if he was still with us...

Wilson will pay where he see the dedication. an honest days pay for an honest days work. it is simple. the agent con-artists try to bastardize the process. the turn their palyers into pawns and robots. DOn meehan did this too mike peca and darcy regier. they are pond scum. they are ruining the sport. read what jack del rio says about them. JON butler had an agent too. ... he knew his contract was up -- and wanted to get some sunshine in san deigo. the bills dynasty was over -- cammelot was done with. kelly and thruman and bruce were done. the writting was on the walll... a.j. smith followed suit. the other norn pollum, john fergusoon adn dwight adams all took off...

But the facts are these: Wilson's contract offers weren't competitive. Despite being one of the most accomplished GM's in the league, and a shrewd judge of personnel, Butler's current salary was about $500,000, putting him in the lower third among his NFL peers. Wilson's last offer was in the range of $1 million, or even a little less than that, a figure he said was the average of the eight highest-paid general managers in the league.

With Green Bay's Ron Wolf setting the bar in the league at $2.2 million per year, and Colts GM Bill Polian earning a reported $1.3 million, Butler, 54, was in line for more than $1 million per year. Butler wasn't looking to hold the small-market Bills hostage, but he didn't accept Wilson's contract offers because he didn't believe they were in the ballpark.

Butler contends that he didn't see Wilson's axe coming, and takes exception with the perception that he was planning to draw Wilson into a bidding war for his services.

That's a bunch of crap. While I liked Butler, what was Wilson supposed to do? It was getting near the time for FA and the draft and we did not have a GM under contract. Plus, while I'm sure Mickey would love Butlers negotiating skills, he left us in horrible cap shape with some very questionable contracts.

That's a bunch of crap. While I liked Butler, what was Wilson supposed to do? It was getting near the time for FA and the draft and we did not have a GM under contract. Plus, while I'm sure Mickey would love Butlers negotiating skills, he left us in horrible cap shape with some very questionable contracts.

yeah thank the gods we have financial stability- do you think the Bills management walk around with their financial stability championship rings to impress the chicks.

wilson makes the decisions. levy, brandon were /are the henchmen, TD before them. jimmy overdorf is a bean counter.

to toronto we GO!!!

yeah thank the gods we have financial stability- do you think the Bills management walk around with their financial stability championship rings to impress the chicks.

overdorf takes care of the salaries. butler was getting to messy. literally. the guy was not representing the bills at the annual meetings and draft -- as "clean" as Wilson wanted. butler was a little heavy and desheveled. He also flopped on a few drafts in a row -- where he brought in some suspect talent. TD was coming off some great pitt yrs and had the resume. TD also looked clean in a nice blue suit. wilson wanted to reinvent his fan base and give the club a face life after 14 yrs of polian/ butler/ levy reign. butler also wanted to go west. there is little doubt about that...

That is true. Butler was a great scout. But he was horrible at managing the salary cap.

I think that's why Tom Modrak doesn't want to be a GM. He knows what he likes and it's not worrying about salaries.

a lack of financial stability=2001 season and a run of non-playoff years

While Donahoe is primarily to blame for our current run of non-playoff years, I think it's naive to ignore the fact that Butler started us on this path with the way he overpaid for average players.

How can you call any offer that put him in the top 1/3rd of GM salaries not competitive? If Wilson was willing to pay him more than 20-24 other teams pay their GM's, how is he a tightwad?