ESPN Ranks Bills Fans #11 In NFL

ESPN's Matt Mosley and their army of NFL bloggers ranked NFL fans. Buffalo came in at 11.

1. Steelers

2. Packers

3. Browns

4. Eagles

5. Chiefs

6. Skins

7. Broncos

8. Pats

9. Raiders

10. Giants

11. Bills

Note, however, the Bills received a "score" of 16, as did the three teams in front of them. So essentially a tie for 8th, but separated by some random ESPN "tiebreaker."

My only gripe? ESPN had a "Loyal" category defined as: Loyalty when team sucks (Loyal): You score points with us if you stick with a loser.

Buffalo scored a "3" on a scale of 1 (best) to 5 (worst). Considering seasons ticket sales in recent years, I'd score us at LEAST a 2 if not a 1... which could have moved us up to 6th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/co...tory?id=3530077

The caption on the photo above the Bills review is hysterical.

"It's December, it's snowing -- hey, this must be Buffalo, where fans must be hardy."

Too bad that picture was taken at the Cleveland game. Unless someone managed to sneak a big honking boat into Lot 1?

I think the Patriots* number is skewed due to their recent success. It's quite easy to find an obnoxious Boston fan pretty much anywhere in the country right now. Once they start losing again, the Travel & Loyal numbers would quickly go to 5.

The caption on the photo above the Bills review is hysterical.

"It's December, it's snowing -- hey, this must be Buffalo, where fans must be hardy."

Too bad that picture was taken at the Cleveland game. Unless someone managed to sneak a big honking boat into Lot 1?

Yep, that's the William G. Mather, which is docked at North Coast Harbor, about a six-iron from Browns Stadium.

It's a museum now, Lori. You can tour it the next time you're in Cleveland. :thumbsup:

I think #1 and #2 are dead on. I also think you can lump Buffalo, Cleveland, Denver, and KC in the same category -- hard to argue why any one of those fan bases is better/worse than another.

The Giants have hardy fans, but their popularity is skewed by the sheer size of their market.

The Pats* are a joke. That ranking is completely biased because of recent success.

I've never thought of Raider fans as being particularly "great" fans.

Eagle fans are just nasty. Does that make them great?

The Skins is the one that has me scrathing my head. Yes, the staduim is full every game, but a good 20% at least, and often times up to 40%, are fans of the other team. Then of the 70% that are not fans of the other team, 50% of them are not fans of the Skins, just there for the "networkinging" opportunity. So at most 50% of the stadium is Skins fan.

Now, I must say that is not the average Skins fans fault, its dam expensive to go to a Skins game. But, they also have the fans that turn quickest I have ever seen.

Hahahahaa. They changed the picture to one from the scoreboard end zone at the Ralph.

Thanks for stopping by, ESPN... :thumbsup:

Man. If they'd wanted a "Bills fans know how to tailgate" shot, I could've gotten them one from the Pinto last night.

The Pats* are a joke. That ranking is completely biased because of recent success.

Before Parcells coached the Patriots, you could swing a dead cat and not hit anyone at Foxboro Stadium. I question the Patriots being listed in the top ten.

The day after the Super Bowl this past February I rode public transportation in the Boston area. I saw not one single Patriots hat or jacket on anyone. Yep, loyal in tough times. Suuuure.

Eagle fans are just nasty. Does that make them great?

maybe we should start throwing frozen D-sized batteries at the opposing teams coaches may I suggest the Dec 28 game against the cheats

I didn't know that the Patriots even had "fans" before 2001.

of course they had fans, its just that they could'nt make it with all that traffic on the 93 or 95 :worthy:

pats fans are truley the greatest sports fans ever :thumbsup:

The 'hate' factor seems useless on a few levels:

1. Since it is almost directly correlated with recent team success, it says nothing about the quality of fans.

2. With the exceptions of Dallas & Oakland, nobody is really universally hated by other fans outside of their division.

3. Philly a 2? The Giants are the only fanbase that really hates them.

As mentioned, I think GB/Cleveland/KC/Pit/Buf are all about indistinguishable.

Wash/Denver/Philly/NYG are debatable but not crazy enough to be stupid.

NE & Oakland ahead of us is both crazy and stupid, as is the Dolphins being ahead of the Lions.