Patriots Sink

I know it is preseason but the Pats have looked horrible. Yeah their Wonderboy QB is out but they can't run, pass, or stop the rush, and special teams has given up two Td's on kick returns during the Eagles game. I don't think they are going to dominate this year. I know people will jump all over this but I think they will struggle to make the playoffs. If I am wrong someone will pull this post up during the season but I think the Bills can take them this year.

On a side note: I think Welker got hurt on a kick return during the Eagles game.

The last 4 years the Colts have stunk in August and came out winning big in September & October. That's what happens when you have a top QB who can carry a team who doesn't play much, (or at all) in preseason. Preseason means nothing other than individual player evaluation. The best example is the year the Jets went undefeated in preseason & then went 1-15 when it counted.

Barring injury to key players (Brady, possibly Moss) I don't see them having any trouble making the playoffs. I do think they will find their regular season success from last year tough to duplicate. Their defense has some serious question marks. Still, they are still the best team in this division and I don't think the Bills are going to knock them off this year.

What I saw last year vs. the Patriots was a team that didn't even think it belonged on the same field as them, then went out and proved it. I'll be pleased if the Bills at least show some heart this year. Last year's games were disgusting.

"Barring injury to key players (Brady. and possibly Moss)."

Right now Brady is injured. Who knows how bad it is or how it will effect him. I suspect that it might be an issue. As I stated I think Welker broke his ribs (speculation). He was a big reason for their success last year.

What I saw last year vs. the Patriots was a team that didn't even think it belonged on the same field as them, then went out and proved it. I'll be pleased if the Bills at least show some heart this year. Last year's games were disgusting.

I agree with this. I think part of that was a mind game that Belicheat successfully (almost Ha Ha) played on the whole league. The Pats were an incredibly talented team that scared people to death. By running up scores I think they created a myth that they couldn't be beat. The Bills were guilty of believing this. Last years Bills team was also an anomaly. With all of the injuries that we had there were time when I didn't think they were a legitimate NFL team and our offensive play calling was a joke. This was especially true during the first game against the Pats when Wil!@#$ took out JP. I think we have better personnel and Turk appears to be a real OC. The Giants exposed the myth that the Pat couldn't be beat and I have seen the affect of that during the three preseason games that I watched.

Preseason means nothing more than player evaluation.

I don't agree with this simplistic statement but judging by the player performance that I saw things don't look good. The Pats o-line was beat on a regular basis. Maroney and Sammy Morris didn't run well. Moss may have been slacking but he was often covered. The linebackers were burned over and over. The Pats can't be accused of running a vanilla offense. They mixed things up and tried a number of trick plays.

I may be wrong about all of this and the Pats may still win the division but my hunch is that it isn't going to happen this year. I don't buy the hype that these smucks are going to be great just because they have been in the past. This time last year the talking heads were predicting that the Bears and 49 were going to be great. In the past I wouldn't have bet against them this year I am. I base this on what I have seen in the preseason and I have watched these games closely. Bold prediction yes, but that is my prediction.

"I agree with this. I think part of that was a mind game that Belicheat successfully (almost Ha Ha) played on the whole league. The Pats were an incredibly talented team the scared people to death. By running up scores I think they created a myth that they couldn't be beat. The Bills were guilty of believing this. Last years Bills team was also an anomaly. With all of the injuries that we had there were time when I didn't think they were a legitimate NFL team and our offensive play calling was a joke. This especially true during the first game against the Pats when Wil!@#$ took out JP. I think we have better personnel and Turk appears to be a real OC. The Giants exposed the myth that the Pat couldn't be beat and I have seen the affect of that during the three preseason games that I watched."

Let me further this point. There's no way in hell the Bills were going to beat the Pats* last year. No chance. Having Fairchild as the OC, however, guaranteed that the losses would be God-awful. Mark my words - the change in offensive coordinator this year may well turn out to be the single most important upgrade that the Bills make in 2008. More important than McLovin', more important than Hardy, more important than Stroud.

"I don't agree with this simplistic statement but judging by the player performance that I saw things don't look good. The Pats o-line was beat on a regular basis."

Herein is the nugget of the post. Preseason success or failure IS a bit of a chimera. Position/Skill players can come out of the woodwork with outstanding individual contributions (witness Action Jackson and Jabari Greer) and make the team, and everyone gets into a collective buzz. Individual performances in camp mean a LOT less than the strength of the lines. The lines - particularly the OL - are the key, the foundation. If these are struggling, it takes a cooperative effort on the part of 5 people to make it right. The key to that Pats* offense for years has been the protection afforded Marcia, and this protection lies in their blocking schemes and execution. I'm no particle physicist, but I believe it was the Giants' diagnosing of the Pats* schemes that brought the house down - and not necessarily outstanding individual performances by the Giants' defense. And you've had 31 teams studying that Super Bowl tape for about 7 months now. If the Pats* OL is struggling in the preseason, frankly I think it weighs a lot more into the overall chances for their success than Marcia's foot being in a boot.

Pre-season only matters when the Bills look bad or other teams look good. Otherwise it doesn't count.

PTR

even so, remember how bad the Bills were during the pre season in the Super Bowl years...

The last 4 years the Colts have stunk in August and came out winning big in September & October. That's what happens when you have a top QB who can carry a team who doesn't play much, (or at all) in preseason. Preseason means nothing other than individual player evaluation. The best example is the year the Jets went undefeated in preseason & then went 1-15 when it counted.

The things that would worry me the most are things like missed tackles, blown coverages, getting beat off the line, not looking to play, looking like they ahve lost a step ect. When i have watched some of these games i see that, i dont see any fire in the pats at all, no pride nothing. Dont get me wrong i love it but you gotta wonder about that super bowl hangover

even so, remember how bad the Bills were during the pre season in the Super Bowl years...

That is very true. I can recall people being apoplectic every pre-season. However lately if we play bad in pre-season, we were bad in the regular season too. SO I'm taking what I've seen as a positive sign.

PTR

That is very true. I can recall people being apoplectic every pre-season. However lately if we play bad in pre-season, we were bad in the regular season too. SO I'm taking what I've seen as a positive sign.

PTR

Same here, as I think that we will much improved. I also think that the Patriots will be good, despite what happens in the pre-season.

As much as I would love to see the Pats do a face plant, it ain't gonna happen....have you looked at their schedule?? Based on last year's won-loss record, they have the easiest schedule in the league.

They could seriously digress this year on offense and defense, and still have a realistic shot at 16-0.

It sucks, but that's the way it is.

I don't think anyone is really concerned about the record. The games are typically won or lost by 3rd and 4th stringers who likely won't even be on the roster.

When your team enters halftime two weeks in a row down 24-3, it might be cause for alarm. That means the 1st stringers on both sides of the ball (and possibly special teams also) aren't getting the job done.

They could go 0-4 and lose every game 31-10, but if they are up 10-0 after the 1st quarter, they'd feel fine.

I know it is preseason but the Pats have looked horrible. Yeah their Wonderboy QB is out but they can't run, pass, or stop the rush, and special teams has given up two Td's on kick returns during the Eagles game. I don't think they are going to dominate this year. I know people will jump all over this but I think they will struggle to make the playoffs. If I am wrong someone will pull this post up during the season but I think the Bills can take them this year.

On a side note: I think Welker got hurt on a kick return during the Eagles game.

how good did the Bills look in the preseason during the super bowl years....it doesnt mean anything

how good did the Bills look in the preseason during the super bowl years....it doesnt mean anything

Their starters looked great. They'd play one series and stuff the opponent's offense...Then Kelly would lead an 8-play, 76-yard TD drive in 3:07, and they'd be up 7-0 and all take their pads off. The Bills would lose 27-10. Who cares? Nobody was worried about the losses because the PLAYERS WHO WERE GOING TO PLAY looked good. That's not the case with the Patriots.

Their starters looked great. They'd play one series and stuff the opponent's offense...Then Kelly would lead an 8-play, 76-yard TD drive in 3:07, and they'd be up 7-0 and all take their pads off. The Bills would lose 27-10. Who cares? Nobody was worried about the losses because the PLAYERS WHO WERE GOING TO PLAY looked good. That's not the case with the Patriots.

Since Brady hasn't played, and he makes everyone around him better, while Cassel might be playing himself out of the NFL and is probably making the starters look worse, I wouldn't be writing off NE yet. We know they have problems on D, but they'll still win a lot of shootouts as long as Brady is there. I still think we can win the division, but it's going to take us winning 12 games to do it, not because NE is going to fall off the face of the earth.

Since Brady hasn't played, and he makes everyone around him better, while Cassel might be playing himself out of the NFL and is probably making the starters look worse, I wouldn't be writing off NE yet. We know they have problems on D, but they'll still win a lot of shootouts as long as Brady is there. I still think we can win the division, but it's going to take us winning 12 games to do it, not because NE is going to fall off the face of the earth.

Oh yes, definitely agree...I'm far from writing them off, I still think they win the east...Brady is the key cog, obviously...