Drinking Age 18 Again?

WWVaBeach

It might just happen

I personally don't have a problem with it. 18 means you're old enough to serve in the military and old enough to help decide on who's the next president. Why not old enough to enjoy a cold one? :unsure:

Thoughts?

I agree, 18 is old enough to serve and possibly pay the ultimate price for your country. So, when a young soldier ends his/her tour of duty, they should be able to come back and enjoy a cold one...

Watching the news last night they gave a list of what you can do at 18, some that I remember...

smoke

be in military

sign for loans

get your own credit card

be on a jury

There were a couple more, I can't remember right now.

The downside is that it will make it easier for under 18 high school kids to get access to alcohol with fake IDs. Yes I know some find a way now, but it would make it easier.

Tell you what... I was pretty hammered from about the middle of my Sophomore year until I turned 21. That's about when it lost its appeal. I'm talking full on 'CBS special on binge drinking' black-out drunk. There were days I'd come home, at 17, and pass out on the kitchen floor with the front door wide open. In Buffalo. In February.

The alcohol wasn't very difficult to get at all. There was always an older brother or an older sister. Hell, stand out front of Wegmans asking guys at random and you're bound to get someone to do it for 10 bucks. Here's a hint: ask the scummy looking bastards.

It got even easier when a 21 year old friend gave me his ID. Ridiculously easy. I remember walking into gas stations at 2:00 AM barely able to stand up. The clerks don't care. I had an ID so I'd walk out with a couple of cases. It never failed. I must have done that 50 times.

My opinion? Keep it 21. When I was a sophomore in HS, half of the kids I was partying with were 18. We called them seniors. Hell, if we're going to change anything, increase the age for the *other* stuff. Or make everything 20. Throw driving in there too for all I care. Military, voting, drinking, tobacco, binding contracts, make it all 20.

For the most part, there's a separation between the legal crowd and the underage group. It happens naturally as the older crowd heads off to college and whatnot. That does wonders to keep teenage kids somewhat sober.

Statistics on drunk driving will by far prevent this from ever happening. Law makers do love their statistics.

I personally think the law minimally should be "Age 21 or a military ID of any sort"

This is how I feel. I hate it when people say "If your old enough to die for your country..." It's especially true since a lot of those guys get stationed overseas, where they are allowed to drink anyway. Only in the actual country they are fighting for are they prohibited from drinking.

It just really irks me that the government considers you an adult when you are 18, and you can do a laundry list of stuff... but you can't be "trusted" to drink. You can buy a house, but you can't buy a beer? You can go to prison, but can't buy a beer? You can vote, but you can't buy a beer? You can join the military, but can't buy a beer? Why is drinking different that any of those situations, as all are exerting some form of responsibility?

Statistics on drunk driving will by far prevent this from ever happening. Law makers do love their statistics.

I personally think the law minimally should be "Age 21 or a military ID of any sort"

I like that.... serving in the military "grows you the hell up" real quick. Good call. I sense a lawsuit with that one, though... "because I chose to attend college rather than join the military, I have to be discriminated against?"

Tough call. If you can vote and fight, you should be able to drink too. But there are some 18 year olds who can't tie their shoes much less handle their booze.

PTR

Having sat in the endzones there are also plenty of 30-60 year olds who are in the same situation.

the world almost ended when a washed up pop singer had her breast exposed for .00345 seconds...you really think they are going to trust a college sophomore/junior with a glass of wine?

:unsure::(<_<

21 is when i had my college degree and is about the age i have STOPPED drinking a lot! (in fact it was 22 cause before getting serious i had to pass one year in the army where, well i don't know how i'd have survived without beer)

Tell you what... I was pretty hammered from about the middle of my Sophomore year until I turned 21. That's about when it lost its appeal. I'm talking full on 'CBS special on binge drinking' black-out drunk. There were days I'd come home, at 17, and pass out on the kitchen floor with the front door wide open. In Buffalo. In February.

Thats why they want to change it to 18...so that people don't binge drink themselves to death. Underage people will drink more out-of-control because its something they aren't allowed to do. If they were allowed to, the binge drinking will hopefully subside.

They were talking about this on NPR last night. One of the proponents of lowering the age made the point that the entire reason its 21 in the first place is because of drinking and driving, and that completely ignores the fact that there are issues around the drinking that have nothing to do with cars.

So, why don't they just make zero-tolerance laws for people under 21? If you have a drop of alcohol and you get caught, your license is gone until you are 21. Otherwise, enjoy yourself responsibly at 18.