FINALLY PETERS MIGHT REPORT

SAM HARRIS

The Bills should just cut Peters. I totally agree. No team in the NFL is looking for a stud LT who was named a starter in the Pro Bowl in his first full year at the position. And why would they? It has no little to no affect whatsoever on your QB having more time to throw, or pick out a secondary receiver, or stay upright. No difference whatsoever to your RB having running lanes and holes. Matters not to your WRs getting an extra half second or second to finish their route and get open. Nothing at all to do with getting first downs and controlling the ball and field position. Left tackles are pretty worthless if you ask me. For the life of me I can't figure out why these owners are paying them 8,9,10,11 million a year when it doesn't affect your teams play and you can just get anyone in there to suck.

So what happened last year then? Why did none of this stuff happen with all pro Jason Peters? I mean, the offense sucked, or did I miss something? I don't seem to remember a time in the last five years or maybe more where I felt confident we could run behind ANY lineman to convert a third or fourth down and short.

And yeah, just cut him.....that's what everyone is saying, just cut him. Are you a drama queen or something? I don't really recall anyone wanting to cut Peters. Most people just don't think he has any leverage (yet) to be holding out at this time.

God help us if we have to cave in to any player in the future who makes it to his first pro bowl and doesn't really have leverage. I mean, how dumb can you be as management to start re-doing everybody's contract who makes it to a pro bowl for the first time.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senator-

You also missed Tom Brady, LaDainian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, Antonio Gates, Jason Taylor, Jamal Williams, Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu, Brett Favre, Walter Jones, Patrick Kerney, Tommie Harris, and Lance Briggs who all missed the game with injuries. They apparently stink too, because they couldn't participate.

I don't understand what you are trying to convey. Those guys are all great players - are you saying they couldn't participate because they have bad hygiene?

And if he does, he will demand to be traded and if they don't he will sit, again. After the childish whining in the media about him that Brandon did, he will want out of here as soon as he can get out of here. After seeing how they treated Schobel, giving him a new deal before camp, he will justly wonder why he is getting shafted.

"crap like this" ??? Do you mean holding out like countless players before him? Or do you mean holding out when he actually had a valid arguement that he was getting paid way below his value? Or do you mean the way we he didn't bawl and posture in public but respectfully kept his yap shut? Or do you mean the way he asked for the same treatment they gave Saint Schobel last year?

If they don't pay him now, they may get him back on the field but in the long run, they will simply be guaranteeing that the majority of his hall of fame career will be spent for the benefit of some other team.

One other player in the history of the league has held out when they had three years remaining.

Can you not count to one?

So what happened last year then? Why did none of this stuff happen with all pro Jason Peters? I mean, the offense sucked, or did I miss something? I don't seem to remember a time in the last five years or maybe more where I felt confident we could run behind ANY lineman to convert a third or fourth down and short.

And yeah, just cut him.....that's what everyone is saying, just cut him. Are you a drama queen or something? I don't really recall anyone wanting to cut Peters. Most people just don't think he has any leverage (yet) to be holding out at this time.

God help us if we have to cave in to any player in the future who makes it to his first pro bowl and doesn't really have leverage. I mean, how dumb can you be as management to start re-doing everybody's contract who makes it to a pro bowl for the first time.

I don't think management should cave. Where did you get that idea?

Many of you are forgetting that you don't just go out and replace a left tackle like he was a water boy.

Just as a reminder, I'll copy a quote that Bill from NYC made in a previous post:

"

Jumbo Elliot, a great LT, suffered a long term injury during a game. At the post game press

conference, a reported asked Parcells "if he plans to get a LT to replace Jumbo Elliot." Parcells

immediately lost his temper. He asked the reporter to tell him exactly how he shoud do so,

and said, "Should I go to the Left Tackle Store and pick one up?"

"

I think that sums it up. A guy like Jason Peters doesn't come along every year. He is a special talent. He needs to get himself into Orchard Park and start working with the team and eventually the team will reward him.

Oh he has leverage, the question is whether he has enough this year to get what he wants. This very well could be part of a plan to make sure he gets a new deal next year. The team hasn't committed to giving him a new deal if he comes in, but they have come close. If he has another good year, he can make the same argument next year and with 2 years on his deal still left, he will just as little leverage as he has now. This holdout might be to create some leverage for next year. Only Parker and Peter know for sure.

The Bills likely would have redone the deal anyway after this season. They have not been unreasonable in recent history...

Wherever did you go to law school, son? (I want to be sure never to hire any attorneys or interns from there, and you should seriously consider requesting a tuition rebate.)

First of all, the NFL is most definitely not a monopoly. Period. Incontrovertible statement of fact. Hic finis est.

There are plenty of other professional football organizations to which a player can offer his services. The NFL may be the most elite and highest paying professional football league; that in no way whatsoever constitutes a monopoly.

Second, regarding teams suing players, you are also wrong. The Philadelphia Eagles sued Terrell Owens for bonus money from 2005. The Eagles wanted $1.7M in bonus repaid for breach of contract and withheld $965K in salary (his final 5 game checks). Early this year, TO lost in arbitration; the Eagles filed suit in U.S. District Court in April to collect the remaining $770K.

Which leads to your third gross misstatement - this holdout will cost Peters money. About $405K so far. More, if he continues to be an idiot. And the team is well within their rights to enforce the fines, and even go after bonus money if his holdout continues into regular season. The Bills and he entered a contract whereby he receives money for services rendered. If those services are not rendered, he is - most definitely - in breach of his contract.

Finally, the inability for veteran players and college draftees to simply offer their services to the highest bidder - which they actually can do now, to any of the many other professional football organizations - is not a product of monopolies or anti-trust law exemptions. It's a result of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL owners and the NFLPA (i.e., the players' union agreed to it). Without the CBA, the owners would likely shut down the league.

You could have learned all of this with a mere modicum of effort. So, in summation, it was not the late Mayor's understanding of contract law and the relative issues that was "infantile"; it is yours.

Parker is a punk, and Peters is an idiot.

As always,

GO BILLLSSS!!!!

19 & 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Really, no anti-trust problems? Then why do they have an anti-trust exemption? Not a monopoly you say? In the USFL's suit against the NFL, the jury found that the NFL was "duly adjudicated illegal monopoly" Did you do any research at all before posting???? Another jury in Minnesota in 1992 ruled "unanimously...that the National Football League's Plan B free agency system is illegal, that it substantially harms the effect on competition for players' services and thus violates antitrust laws." The Radovich case and Freeman McNeil's case highlight the league's vulnerability to anti-trust cases. Congress has, on numerous occasions, threatened to repeal what legislative exemptions the league does have whenever they have wanted to influence the league. Boy, for a league with no anti-trust problems they sure do have a lot of anti-trust problems.

The CBA, already set to expire in 2010, is itself subject to antitrust laws though the public policy in favor of unions makes those cases somewhat harder to make as Maurice Clarett found out.

If your version of employment contract law is so solid, I wonder why it is that players hold out all the time and virtually never seem to suffer for it? You need to send your posts to the league's lawyers, you clearly know something they don't. But then again, I am sure you're an expert in the enforcement of liquidated damages and the availability of specific performance as a remedy.

Many of you are forgetting that you don't just go out and replace a left tackle like he was a water boy.

Just as a reminder, I'll copy a quote that Bill from NYC made in a previous post:

"

Jumbo Elliot, a great LT, suffered a long term injury during a game. At the post game press

conference, a reported asked Parcells "if he plans to get a LT to replace Jumbo Elliot." Parcells

immediately lost his temper. He asked the reporter to tell him exactly how he shoud do so,

and said, "Should I go to the Left Tackle Store and pick one up?"

"

I think that sums it up. A guy like Jason Peters doesn't come along every year. He is a special talent. He needs to get himself into Orchard Park and start working with the team and eventually the team will reward him.

This is about as dumbed down a comment that there is. Too much ESPN for everyone nowadays. If you have a stud at any position, you don't usually just about and replace them either.

If Lee Evans suffered a long term injury tomorrow, we wouldn't be able to just go out and replace him tommorow either. So, gee Bill Parcells, no fuggin schittt. After the first few days of Free Agency, nobody can really just go out and replace any stud on their team easily or without a miracle trade.

The Bills likely would have redone the deal anyway after this season. They have not been unreasonable in recent history...

I don't think Peters, comparing his situation to Schobel's would agree that they have been reasonable. We don't know the team's specific strategy anymore than we do Parkers.

I don't think management should cave. Where did you get that idea?

I don't know, I just assumed I guess. I was doing so good to stay outta all Peters threads......that was.......until the Stephen Jackson news today, so I jumped in this thread, skimmed it, and then starting popping off.

LOL

I'm done. The off-season is so much more enjoyable if one can just stay out of these debates on message boards.

Now, I'm gonna go and try to not peek in on this thread any more after this! LOL

B-)

One other player in the history of the league has held out when they had three years remaining.

Can you not count to one?

Ummm....... I never said countless others have held out with 3 years left, I said countless others have held out. Can't you read?

But the point being argued, as opposed to your childish game of gotcha, is whether Peters is a pos for trying to get what he is worth. I don't think he is. I do think that a lot of fans around here seem to feel personally betrayed at the notion of a pro bowler wanting to be paid like one and have been bitching and crying about it for weeks. Your fantasies to the contrary little boy, the NFL is about money. The players want all they can get their hands on and the teams want to keep all they can. But if it helps you, go ahead and paint one side as villainous and the other as heroic.

This is about as dumbed down a comment that there is. Too much ESPN for everyone nowadays. If you have a stud at any position, you don't usually just about and replace them either.

If Lee Evans suffered a long term injury tomorrow, we wouldn't be able to just go out and replace him tommorow either. So, gee Bill Parcells, no fuggin schittt. After the first few days of Free Agency, nobody can really just go out and replace any stud on their team easily or without a miracle trade.

Ummm, I've seen a LOT worse on this board for dumbed-down comments.

Anyhow, I get your point that a good player is a good player and not easily replaced. However, as good as Lee Evans is, he's not Randy Moss. Jason Peters is tops at his position just like Randy Moss is tops at his and to replace him without skipping a beat is not realistic and I think that's what Parcells was saying about Jumbo Elliott and is more applicable to Peters than it would be to Evans. Don't get me wrong, Evans is very, very good, but Peters could become a perennial All-Pro for many years and is not easily replaceable.

You mean except for the fact that without him, Trent Edwards is going to get killed, Marshawn Lynch is not going to have nearly the amount of yards or impact on the game, Lee Evans and James Hardy, etc. are not going to have nearly the room to run patterns or time to get the pass to them, the defense is going to be drastically affected because the offense won't be controlling the ball as much, and will be putting the defense in far worse positions on the field and on the scoreboard. A pro bowl tackle, especially a LT, affects every player on the offense and defense. Which is 2/3 of the team.

You're talking about ONE F*CKING PLAYER.

Just a friendly reminder, one player (especially someone who most likely isn't hall-of-fame calibre) won't be the difference between a good team and a bad team. Walker isn't Peters, but he's functional. Chambers isn't Walker, but he will get by.

Again: you're talking about ONE GOD DAMN PLAYER.

I'm surprised you're taking this 'SKY IS FALLING!!!!!11' stance here, Kelly. You're smarter than this.

I don't think Peters, comparing his situation to Schobel's would agree that they have been reasonable. We don't know the team's specific strategy anymore than we do Parkers.

Schobel had a much larger body of work behind him when they extended him. It was also done after a training camp that Schobel attended. Schobel attended all the off season stuff, too last year.

The guy was hurt the last time the Bills saw Peters. They're supposed to bend over when he hasn't shown up to even demonstrate he is healthy?

Got that right, Mick - Ralph can afford a lot more than Parker, and Peters ain't gettin' any more dough. I sure hope he's is saving his pennies for the lockout in 2011.

BTW, I missed the Pro Bowl - how'd Jason play?

How much time does Ralph have? Do you think how much he pays Jason Peters keeps him up at night more than wondering if he will ever win a championship before he dies? He'd quadruple Peter's pay if it got us in to the playoffs.

For a guy who thinks Peters is a worthless, greedy, stupid crybaby, you do seem to be pretty upset with his hold out. Why do you care, we don't need him, right? Much better to make a point just in case any other UDFA on the roster makes the pro bowl this year. If it costs us a pro bowl LT, its worth it, right?

Oh, so he didn't play in the pro bowl, that means a lot. You are right again, he stinks, we don't need him. Still, why do you keep posting in the Peters threads if you are so sure he is so useless? After all, he didn't actually play in the pro bowl as you so keenly observed so it must follow that he is no good. Certainly explains why his hold out has garnered no attention hereabouts now doesn't it?

You're talking about ONE F*CKING PLAYER.

Just a friendly reminder, one player (especially someone who most likely isn't hall-of-fame calibre) won't be the difference between a good team and a bad team. Walker isn't Peters, but he's functional. Chambers isn't Walker, but he will get by.

Again: you're talking about ONE GOD DAMN PLAYER.

I'm surprised you're taking this 'SKY IS FALLING!!!!!11' stance here, Kelly. You're smarter than this.

Its more than one player because he is an o-lineman and they control the tempo of a game. j peters can dominate and set the tone every sunday.

How so?

If Peters never reports, the clock never starts on the 3 years remaining on his deal...meaning if he never comes back to the Bills, his career is over. Finished.

All the Bills would do is get by the best they can now, and try to replace him in the offseason. This Bills franchise will go on without Jason Peters. However, Peters' career will end without the Bills.

I really don't see how the Bills need Peters more than Peters needs the Bills. Peters' ONLY option is to play for the Buffalo Bills. But when the offseason comes around, the Bills will have a virtually unlimited amount of options to replace him with. Will they all be Pro Bowlers? Of course not. But you don't need a Pro Bowler at every position to win in this league.

The Bills should move on as if Peters never existed, and if he reports at some point, think of it as a pleasant surprise. He can come play some football, or he can waste away the prime of his career...either way, the Bills don't have to do ANYTHING. In other words, the Bills have all the leverage.

I highly doubt Peters will actually stay home all season. However, if he did, and promised to do it again next year, what do you think the Bills will do? Just let him sit there for spite? No way. They will trade him. And he will get he pay day he wants. His leverage is that they can't make him play and at some point, he is worth more to them in a trade then he is sitting home. "let him rot" might sound fun and certainly would appeal to the authoritarian apparatchiks around here but it would be pretty pointless for the team to let an asset like that, whether he is on the field or traded, go to waste.

Peters is a very unique situation. You don't often have a UDFA make it to the pro bowl after you already extended him once. Its a B word for him and the team.

No. It really isn't.

You're the second person in this thread with an inability to count to one...

jason peters has the biggest impact on the team except for qb... he effects the offense more than darian barnes or lynch or even evans. its easy to understand the major effect he has on offense which is more than one person. :beer:B-)