Finally got to see the Steelers/Bills game...WOW!

1billsfan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question was of course rhetorical. :devil: His demands of Trent are all inclusive, such as playing in a blizzard and a monsoon.

You otoh are different. When you blast Trent, you are not trying to tell us what a hall of fame qb JP is. In fact, you even make me appear to be cheerful. :angry:

Yes my demands of Trent are if the Bills are playing in a blizzard or monsoon, then Trent or whoever is QB better MAN UP. In the "BLIZZARD" in Cleveland, Anderson clearly outplayed Trent. Anderson threw many nice passes, & not just for 5-10 yards. I don't think Trent threw 1 decent pass that entire game. After the game, the coach of the Browns also said the weather was not as bad as it looked, he said it really was not all that cold. Eli in the Giants game,was what everyone wants Trent to be. While not looking spectacular, he managed the game & did not make costly mistakes which caused his team to lose as Trent did. If JP was the QB for those 2 games instead of Edwards & played the same as Edwards did (POORLY) you HATERS would have said JP SUCKS...........there would be no mention of the weather. Because Edwards played, it wasn't Trent's fault at all, it was all due to the weather. SHOW ME WHERE I SAID JP WAS A HOF QB. I don't know how good (or bad) JP will be yet, & neither do any of you HATERS.

And either the plays we try to surprise people with will be low percentage enough not to work much, or teams will catch on to our tendencies. I'd really love to be wrong, but I don't see playoffs this year.

I won't disagree. I will say though that you don't go from being as badly managed and run as we have been for years to playing the way we did in the first two series in that Pitt game overnight and with the same management primarily as appears to have occurred.

The team knows what it has to do and they're either going to get it done or not. I just hope that if they don't then someone at the top has the wherewithall to pull the trigger and make some relevant changes for once. I'm not holding my breath on that either, but as long as we're all hoping for something, if our hopes in a decent season are dashed oncea again, why not hope for the equally unlikely in hindsight.

You are the true definition of a Fair Weather Fan. You go from "OMG the Bills suck" to "WOW WE ROCK" in a matter of days. That my friend is what a Fair Weather Fan is.

I do agree with you that the play calling from Steve Fairchild was terrible last year. I also agree that Dick Jauron is mostly responsible for that because he is the head coach. I am encouraged by what we have seen from Turk this year. I saw good things from him in the Redskins game as well. The use of Hardy as a decoy to open up the underneath stuff. The increased use of TE's in the passing game. The increased use of the RB's in the passing game. When Marshawn lined up as a WR half the defense turned to look at him. Marshawn caught a early pass where he wasn't the dump off guy in the passing game. All of these things were missing last year.

i am excited to see what this offense can do. If the Steeler game is any indication as to what this team is capable of i am pleased.

A fair weather fan is one who only shows up or supports the team when they are winning, not a fan who's being critical in their judgments of them. I think you and me have different definitions here. In yours, you give up all rights to ever be critical of them or you do in fact become a "fair weathered fan". That's every single person on this board. In mine, you're a fair weathered fan when you only care about or show interest in a team that is winning. I care so much I'm willing to go on a message board and rip into them on why they "suck" and what I think they need to do to "not suck". I watched every snap last season of the worst offense ever by a Buffalo Bills team. I think I might care too much. I was and still am excited to see that Dick Jauron let them play for once. I can not stand the guy as our coach, but that last game made me see that he might truly be embracing a more open and much less suffocating offense. I'd even be willing to forgive and forget last year which made me the most angry as a fervent and loyal Bills fan.

Yes my demands of Trent are if the Bills are playing in a blizzard or monsoon, then Trent or whoever is QB better MAN UP. In the "BLIZZARD" in Cleveland, Anderson clearly outplayed Trent. Anderson threw many nice passes, & not just for 5-10 yards. I don't think Trent threw 1 decent pass that entire game. After the game, the coach of the Browns also said the weather was not as bad as it looked, he said it really was not all that cold. Eli in the Giants game,was what everyone wants Trent to be. While not looking spectacular, he managed the game & did not make costly mistakes which caused his team to lose as Trent did. If JP was the QB for those 2 games instead of Edwards & played the same as Edwards did (POORLY) you HATERS would have said JP SUCKS...........there would be no mention of the weather. Because Edwards played, it wasn't Trent's fault at all, it was all due to the weather. SHOW ME WHERE I SAID JP WAS A HOF QB. I don't know how good (or bad) JP will be yet, & neither do any of you HATERS.

Some great points in there. You can also add that if our OL were that great then Lynch would have run for more yards too. Jamal Lewis may be OK but he's not a great RB and he lit us up.

A fair weather fan is one who only shows up or supports the team when they are winning, not a fan who's being critical in their judgments of them. I think you and me have different definitions here. In yours, you give up all rights right to ever be critical of them or you do in fact become a "fair weathered fan". That's every single person on this board. In mine, you're a fair weathered fan when you only care about or show interest in a team that is winning. I care so much I'm willing to go on a message board and rip into them on why they "suck" and what I think they need to do to "not suck". I watched every snap last season of the worst offense ever by a Buffalo Bills team. I think I might care too much. I was and still am excited to see that Dick Jauron let them play for once. I can not stand the guy as our coach, but that last game made me see that he might truly be embracing a more open and much less suffocating offense. I'd even be willing to forgive and forget last year which made me the most angry as a fervent and loyal Bills fan.

That's pretty good.

You could also say that fans don't just make excuses for poor play and underperforming parts of the team whether they are players or coaches or office types. As you say, they want their team to not suck, which is sometimes more than you can say for some of those in management based on what they do. They get paid and have conflicting interests. Fans are fans for free so to speak. We even pay to be fans from tickets to merchandise.

They looked like winners to me. I hope Jauron has seriously bought into using the pass to set up the run with a heavy dose of using Lynch and Jackson in the passing game as well. THAT was what I have been waiting for! I've been as tough as nails on Jauron, but if he truly does trust in his QB and the skilled players on offense to use their exceptional God-given abilities then he has a VERY good shot at becoming a successful and winning head coach for the Buffalo Bills. I beg you, please do NOT go back into your run-run-pass shell. Starting defense looked very solid also.

As for Edwards, he looked like the second coming of Steve Young directing the 49ers out there. It was everything I was looking for and MORE and I was flat out WRONG in thinking Losman was better than him. I know it's preseason but I think that preseason game will have a huge effect going forward for this team and it's coaches. They took it to one of the AFC bullies and made it look easy.

They obviously need to translate this into the real games and then have the consistency in performance that all playoff bound teams must have. Remember how consistent Kelly's Bills were? Bring it every game and this team WILL get 11 or 12 wins and make the playoffs. This was a big one. It proved to them that they really do have the makings for a good team, where the skies the limit in '08 including beating New England.

Let's not get carried away here. Edwards was very solid but it was just 2 drives in the preseason. He still has a long way to go. I do think(as I thought last year) he is on the right track to being a very good qb in the NFL.

As far as Jauron, you have to remember, throughout his coaching career he has never had a good QB. I think it is pretty obvious except to the diehard Losman fans that this coaching staff never really trusted JP to open up the playbook, & I think they had good reason for feeling that way. I think Jauron finally has qb he feels comfortable with & trusts to put the game in his hand. I think you are going to see a wide open offense this year. One thing you have to remember is Schonert was a former QB in this league, he knows that you are setting your qb up for failure by running on 1st & 2nd down all the time. I think we are going to be alright.

Let's not get carried away here. Edwards was very solid but it was just 2 drives in the preseason. He still has a long way to go. I do think(as I thought last year) he is on the right track to being a very good qb in the NFL.

As far as Jauron, you have to remember, throughout his coaching career he has never had a good QB. I think it is pretty obvious except to the diehard Losman fans that this coaching staff never really trusted JP to open up the playbook, & I think they had good reason for feeling that way. I think Jauron finally has qb he feels comfortable with & trusts to put the game in his hand. I think you are going to see a wide open offense this year. One thing you have to remember is Schonert was a former QB in this league, he knows that you are setting your qb up for failure by running on 1st & 2nd down all the time. I think we are going to be alright.

Preseason or no preseason, I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief watching our starting offense. As for the Young comment, I think he did look a lot like Young on those (yes only two preseason) drives. I'm obviously not predicting anything regarding what he'll end up accomplishing in his career and I could care less if I was on the wrong side of the QB debate. Can't hide from it, so I might as well embrace it. At least my feelings and convictions about our players being able to handle, and excel in, a "modern" NFL offense do appear to be the case. I now have some real live hope going into this season.

Preseason or no preseason, I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief watching our starting offense. As for the Young comment, I think he did look a lot like Young on those (yes only two preseason) drives. I'm obviously not predicting anything regarding what he'll end up accomplishing in his career and I could care less if I was on the wrong side of the QB debate. Can't hide from it, so I might as well embrace it. At least my feelings and convictions about our players being able to handle, and excel in, a "modern" NFL offense do appear to be the case. I now have some real live hope going into this season.

you called him chad pennington a week ago. That makes u a fairweather fan. it's okay, we can get through this together

But first you must admit you have a problem. "hi, my name is 1billsfan and I'm a fairweather fan."

you called him chad pennington a week ago. That makes u a fairweather fan. it's okay, we can get through this together

But first you must admit you have a problem. "hi, my name is 1billsfan and I'm a fairweather fan."

Actually, 1billsfan isn't a fairweather fan. A fair weather fan only show up when their team is doing good. 1billfan shows that he is a fan even when we are doing badly......while the fairweather fans are nowhere to be seen. Patriots fans are a good example of fair weather fans.

1billsfan might be an erratic & overly emotional fan......but with 4000 posts here since 2002(through all the bad years) he clearly isn't a fair weather fan.

Actually, 1billsfan isn't a fairweather fan. A fair weather fan only show up when their team is doing good. 1billfan shows that he is a fan even when we are doing badly......while the fairweather fans are nowhere to be seen. Patriots fans are a good example of fair weather fans.

1billsfan might be an erratic & overly emotional fan......but with 4000 posts here since 2002(through all the bad years) he clearly isn't a fair weather fan.

he gives edwards the finger when he has a poor showing in washington and j's him off when he has a good showing against the steelers...fairweather. you cant call a guy pennington one week and young the next. thats idiocy. 4000 posts since 2002...super. but hardly a distinguishing factor to ones football loving character.

There was nothing wrong with the weather in the Philly game. It was good football weather.

In the Cleveland game neither QB did much and Anderson did about the same as Trent. But their rushing game had almost twice as many yards with Jamal Lewis. That isn't impressive. Trent isn't responsible for the entire offense.

I agree that the Philly game had ideal weather, but Peters was out and Evans left early in the game (early in the second quarter, as I recall). They were pretty handicapped ...

Um ... Manning was absolutely horrible in that game. He fumbled like 5 times. I mean, he was really bad.

he gives edwards the finger when he has a poor showing in washington and j's him off when he has a good showing against the steelers...fairweather. you cant call a guy pennington one week and young the next. thats idiocy. 4000 posts since 2002...super. but hardly a distinguishing factor to ones football loving character.

He still does not fit the category of "fairweather fan" though. The fairweather fans will come out of the woodwork once we start winning games. The proper fans are following/supporting the team during the down times......even the ones that are too critical one week and too homerish the next.

He still does not fit the category of "fairweather fan" though. The fairweather fans will come out of the woodwork once we start winning games. The proper fans are following/supporting the team during the down times......even the ones that are too critical one week and too homerish the next.

okay okay...you guys got me. he is NOT a fairweather fan. i concede. just very easily persuaded emotionally by exhibition games. whats that make him? a media member?

I was and still am excited to see that Dick Jauron let them play for once. I can not stand the guy as our coach, but that last game made me see that he might truly be embracing a more open and much less suffocating offense. I'd even be willing to forgive and forget last year which made me the most angry as a fervent and loyal Bills fan.

Funny how there's this big change in the offensive gameplan just as there's a change in the offensive coordinator. It couldn't be that Jauron hires his coordinator, and then trusts his guy and allows him to do what he thinks is best...could it?

Nawwwww, couldn't be. The timing of the overhaul in gameplan coinciding perfectly with a new offensive coordinator is 100% coincidence.

Let's see what they do in the regular season. I think the offense will be a good deal more "open" than it was last year...but it won't be because Jauron suddenly changed his philosophy. It'll be the difference between Steve Fairchild and Turk Schonert.

I fully agree. He is by no means a fairweather fan. But, I must admit that I am finding it hard to believe the sincerity of his praise of Edwards after the way he has continuously blasted him. I was not shocked at all by Trent's performance against Pitt, and other than the fact that Peters was missing, I fail to see why anybody else was. The kid is good. B-)

I respect posters who go out on a limb if you will. Besides, it is a fun thing to do, and that is why we are here, to voice opinions on what we think the Bills need to do in order to win. Interestingly enough, there are some posters here (and believe me, I do NOT include myself) that have a much better record of being "right" than does Bills management since I have been on this board. Others write better than the absolute elite in the sportswriting industry.

I am not going to name names and embarrass people....the only clue I will give is that not all of them are men. :beer: