Bad news for the Bills

The Jets aren't going to the Super Bowl, and the Dolphins aren't going to the playoffs, but they will both undoubtedly improve. Favre is clearly a huge upgrade for a team that made the playoffs two years ago (and three of the previous five before that), and Pennington -- whatever his flaws -- is a huge upgrade for the Dolphins (as is the addition of Parcells, obviously). The Bills are now looking at 2-2 against the Jets and Phins (and recall that the Bills struggled badly against them last year in Miami) plus 0-2 against the Pats. (Before all of this, I was hoping for 3-1 against the Jets and Phins.) That puts them at 2-4 in the division, which means they have to go 8-2 against the rest of the league to make the playoffs. It's not impossible given that they're playing a bad NFC West and a relatively down AFC West (although a game in Denver is probably going to be a loss, as is the game at home against SD), but it'll be tough. For the playoffs, those victories over NFC teams will matter less, of course.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jets aren't going to the Super Bowl, and the Dolphins aren't going to the playoffs, but they will both undoubtedly improve. Favre is clearly a huge upgrade for a team that made the playoffs two years ago (and three of the previous five before that), and Pennington -- whatever his flaws -- is a huge upgrade for the Dolphins (as is the addition of Parcells, obviously). The Bills are now looking at 2-2 against the Jets and Phins (and recall that the Bills struggled badly against last year in Miami) plus 0-2 against the Pats. (Before all of this, I was hoping for 3-1 against the Jets and Phins.) That puts them at 2-4 in the division, which means they have to go 8-2 against the rest of the league to make the playoffs. It's not impossible given that they're playing a bad NFC West and a relatively down AFC West (although a game in Denver is probably going to be a loss, as is the game at home against SD), but it'll be tough. For the playoffs, those victories over NFC teams will matter less, of course.

Good thread. The Dolphins and Jets both improved the QB position. I still see us beating the Dolphins twice and splitting with the Jets. The Jets are in great position now to make the playoffs which likely leaves us out of the playoffs...again. :lol:

The Jets aren't going to the Super Bowl, and the Dolphins aren't going to the playoffs, but they will both undoubtedly improve. Favre is clearly a huge upgrade for a team that made the playoffs two years ago (and three of the previous five before that), and Pennington -- whatever his flaws -- is a huge upgrade for the Dolphins (as is the addition of Parcells, obviously). The Bills are now looking at 2-2 against the Jets and Phins (and recall that the Bills struggled badly against them last year in Miami) plus 0-2 against the Pats. (Before all of this, I was hoping for 3-1 against the Jets and Phins.) That puts them at 2-4 in the division, which means they have to go 8-2 against the rest of the league to make the playoffs. It's not impossible given that they're playing a bad NFC West and a relatively down AFC West (although a game in Denver is probably going to be a loss, as is the game at home against SD), but it'll be tough. For the playoffs, those victories over NFC teams will matter less, of course.

I dont think the Bills are looking at 2-2 at all. We will go 3-1 against those teams, minimum. The Jets are better, but Favre will cost them some games as well as leading them to wins. He still makes poor decisions with the ball all too often. Regarding Miami, they are going to be complete garbage again, no matter who is under center. The team is in absolute disarray. Even with Chadwick, our can still play our entire defense within 9 yards of the LOS, which will severley limit Ronnie Brown and pothead. Also, who the hell is pennington going to throw to? Wilford is playing his way out of the starting lineup, and Derek Hagan and Ted Ginn scare no one. You are vastly overrating miami.

As for Parcells, i dont see him as a scary addition. He's the GM, not the coach. I dont get the mystique. Its ben quite a while since he's been successful.

Are both teams better than they were Wednesday morning? Yes. Does that mean they've caught (or even passed) Buffalo? Debatable. Let's see how both quarterbacks like seeing Stroud across the line from them, with an improved linebacking corps behind him and some actual depth in the secondary.

I dont think the Bills are looking at 2-2 at all. We will go 3-1 against those teams, minimum. The Jets are better, but Favre will cost them some games as well as leading them to wins. He still makes poor decisions with the ball all too often. Regarding Miami, they are going to be complete garbage again, no matter who is under center. The team is in absolute disarray. Even with Chadwick, our can still play our entire defense within 9 yards of the LOS, which will severley limit Ronnie Brown and pothead. Also, who the hell is pennington going to throw to? Wilford is playing his way out of the starting lineup, and Derek Hagan and Ted Ginn scare no one. You are vastly overrating miami.

As for Parcells, i dont see him as a scary addition. He's the GM, not the coach. I dont get the mystique. Its ben quite a while since he's been successful.

Re: the Phins, I've seen too much of Parcells' work to think they won't improve. He took over a 2-14 Pats team and made them a playoff team in short order, took over a 1-15 Jets team and took them to 9-7 immediately, and took over a Dallas team that had three straight years of double digit losses and made them 10-6. And of course there are the Giants, who were both horrible and boring throught my childhood in the 1970s. The record is there for all to see, and I for one can't discount it.

Are both teams better than they were Wednesday morning? Yes. Does that mean they've caught (or even passed) Buffalo? Debatable. Let's see how both quarterbacks like seeing Stroud across the line from them, with an improved linebacking corps behind him and some actual depth in the secondary.

But they both have pretty clearly upgraded their own offensive lines.

Yes, both teams have improved their QB position. But I really have no fear of either of those teams because I think our defense will be very strong. The Bills have owed Pennington the last several years. And oh yeah, Miami is awful. Favre is a big tiem addition to the Jets, but is he seriously gonna take a 4-12 team and make them that much better? Two years ago, he throw 29 ints. No reason he can't do that on a new team where he has a shorter training camp and no major playmakers.

If anything, this just puts more pressure on Edwards and the offense. Our defense and special teams will keep us in every game (maybe not New England) but we need at least an offense that can put 20 points on the board. If that occurs, we will be in the playoff hunt. Plus if we split with the Jets and Fins, we do't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Yes, tis the season for rose colored glasses.

I'd much rather tailgate with someone with rose-color glasses than a negative Nancy. It's much more fun to hang out with someone hopeful of a great season than someone who will just say I told you so when something goes wrong.

But they both have pretty clearly upgraded their own offensive lines.

On paper. Again, unlike any other sport, chemistry can't be bought. Especially on the offensive lines. Damien Woody in his prime was a major free agent for the Lions. How that Lions line do? Now, he is older, battling back from injuries, and playign a new position.

I'd much rather have the Bills O'line (with Peters of course) and a season of playign together under their belt.

I have to agree with Ramius. Don't get me wrong, a Favre led Jets squad is better then one led by noodle arm or Clemens but I still think we are a more talented squad and will split with them at worst. As far as Miami goes.......Pennington improves their situation but its still like polishing a turd, QB is still a major question mark for the fish and I still believe we have a good chance of sweeping them this year. We just need to concentrate on doing the little things in order to take the next step in order to become a playoff team and not worry about those things we can't control (ala the Jets and Dolphins QB situations) and we will be fine. :lol:

i was barely worried about Nad Penninton with the Jets...with the dolphins i just feel bad for him. Who is he going to throw to? He has nobody like Coles and Cotchery to throw to in Miami..

i was barely worried about Nad Penninton with the Jets...with the dolphins i just feel bad for him. Who is he going to throw to? He has nobody like Coles and Cotchery to throw to in Miami..

Is a dangerous game for us in that though we swept both the Fish and the Jets last year they are both gonna improve substantially as teams.

The Bad news good news though is that in addition to us competing against teams which have improved NE also will be competing against the two teams, ad quite frankly think it is a good thing for us that NE is gonna face tougher comp from top to bottom in this division rather than allow them to simply mail it against the fish and Jets.

It is doubtful we can go 4-0 like before, but 3-1 is easily forseeable as the Bills should be improved by their draft and FA improvements also.

If the fish and lamb can squeeze out a split this year wih NE and those teams can steal one from the Pats, I like out chances to try to lead us to a playoff berth.

I did not want to see the fish and Jets to improve so much we cannot breathe them, but given I think we can still beat them in regular season its neat to see that NE won't have the ability to mail in their 6 wins before playing the rest of the NFL.

The fish aren't "better" just cause they have Pennington. He was a bust, has no arm strength, and was jettisoned from his team for a reason: he wasn't good enough. This move does not scare me one bit.

Also, I think Favre is one of the greatest ever and he is definately an upgrade. His presence alone does not guarantee anything for the Jets. It's not like they signed a QB in his prime. We'll have to take a wait-and-see approach.

Here are some realities of the Favre situation that could work against him:

1. He is on a new team.

2. New offensive system.

3. New coaches and teamates.

4. Stronger conference.

5. He may be a little out of shape.

6. He's 38.

7. He is INT prone.

8. Has a new receiving corps to get in sync with.

Was anyone afraid of facing Pennington with the Jets this season?

Didn't think so.

With respect to Miami in general, I fully expect a continuation of the Bill Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns. Yes, they'll be better, but coming from 1-15 how can they not be?

With respect to Brett Favre, please see this post of mine yesterday.

Rose-colored glasses or a realistic view? You decide.

I think we take one from the Patriots. Not so easy for them to cheat any more. We picked up some DEs to put pressure on Brady the way the Giants did in the SB.