Best Left Tackle in the league? Really?

Got_Wood

Because I thought that these guys were at least as good or better...

Better:

Walter Jones - Seahawks

Orlando Pace - Rams

Flozell Adams - Cowboys

Joe Thomas - Browns

Chris Samuels - Redskins

Matt Light - Patriots

As good:

Tony Ugoh - Colts

Jammal Brown - Saints

Marcus McNeill - Chargers

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Jets

Better:

Walter Jones - Seahawks

Orlando Pace - Rams

Flozell Adams - Cowboys

Joe Thomas - Browns

Chris Samuels - Redskins

Matt Light - Patriots

As good:

Tony Ugoh - Colts

Jammal Brown - Saints

He anchored our OL last year in our drive to score fewer offensive TDs than any other team in the league. What, you don't see how great our line was last year with Peters, Dockery, Butler, and Walker. (facetious)

Edwards saying that Peters is the most talented player in the league is like Rosie O'Donnell saying the serving fork is the most important of all utensils.

I didn't realize that Rosie used utensils.

Edwards saying that Peters is the most talented player in the league is like Rosie O'Donnell saying the serving fork eating trough is the most important of all utensils eating vessels.

There, fixed it for you.

How about Dr. Z's assessment?

"He's one of, if not the best, left tackles in the league."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...tml?eref=si_nfl

I can't believe that anyone here is actually arguing that Peters is not among the top LTs in the league meaning at least top-10.

And people call me negative. :thumbsup:

But more importantly, how can anyone argue against Peters but then not come down on the organization for a whole bunch of other signings?

I mean if we put up a poll, and maybe there is one from last season, as to the best players on this team, it seems to me that both Evans and Peters would rank higher than just about everyone else that's gotten either a new contract or an extension from us over the last three or four years.

He may not be the best LT in the league right now, but I bet if you polled all the OCs and HCs and GMs and Owners around the league as to which LT you would want right now, he would be one of the top 2-3 choices, and maybe the very top. Because, obviously, the fact that he has only played OL for three years total, LT one, and he's already this good, combined with the fact he has all of the uncoachables -- tremendous size, tremendous athletic ability, power, and youth. That combination beats every single LT in the league, even young studs like Joe Thomas.

I can't believe that anyone here is actually arguing that Peters is not among the top LTs in the league meaning at least top-10.

And people call me negative. :thumbsup:

But more importantly, how can anyone argue against Peters but then not come down on the organization for a whole bunch of other signings?

I mean if we put up a poll, and maybe there is one from last season, as to the best players on this team, it seems to me that both Evans and Peters would rank higher than just about everyone else that's gotten either a new contract or an extension from us over the last three or four years.

Peters is no doubt a very good left tackle. BUT, he needs to be a man about this AND he needs to think about his team. Does he care about winning or is it all about himself?

He didn't confront our front office and demand a new contract. He hid away from everyone and made everyone assume he was upset. He let his greedy agent do all the (lack of) talking. What kind of BS is this?! If you want money, you come out and ask for it! Tell it to the front office. Tell it straight Russ Brandon's face. Say "I will not play unless you pay me more."

The point of this post is that there are A LOT of talented players in this league. You can be replaced. The Bills gave Peters an extension and bonus BEFORE anyone knew anything about him. They were LOYAL. He needs to return the respect.

He may not be the best LT in the league right now, but I bet if you polled all the OCs and HCs and GMs and Owners around the league as to which LT you would want right now, he would be one of the top 2-3 choices, and maybe the very top. Because, obviously, the fact that he has only played OL for three years total, LT one, and he's already this good, combined with the fact he has all of the uncoachables -- tremendous size, tremendous athletic ability, power, and youth. That combination beats every single LT in the league, even young studs like Joe Thomas.

He's also just getting into his prime. If you think about it this is the perfect time for him to pull a stunt like this. The Bills brass thinks far too highly of their own team. Without Peters the offense isn't going to do anything significant this year.

Peters is no doubt a very good left tackle. BUT, he needs to be a man about this AND he needs to think about his team. Does he care about winning or is it all about himself?

He didn't confront our front office and demand a new contract. He hid away from everyone and made everyone assume he was upset. He let his greedy agent do all the (lack of) talking. What kind of BS is this?! If you want money, you come out and ask for it! Tell it to the front office. Tell it straight Russ Brandon's face. Say "I will not play unless you pay me more."

The point of this post is that there are A LOT of talented players in this league. You can be replaced. The Bills gave Peters an extension and bonus BEFORE anyone knew anything about him. They were LOYAL. He needs to return the respect.

This isn't Pop Warner. It's professional football. Did we say the same thing about Butler who had two years left on his contract? why not?

Who in the NFL as a player really cares about winning so much that they're willing to take half, or less, of their open market value in exchange for that. Brady gave up a bunch but he already had one of the richest contracts in the NFL. Peters doesn't even have anything close to the richest for his position yet he's a top-10 player there easily, likely higher, and isn't even remotely compensated accordingly. Why not?

This is a business first and foremost and if you don't believe that then you're fooling yourself. And I know that you understand that it is.

Who knows what's going on, but you say he should just ask. Evans has done that and they haven't given him a new deal. So you're assuming that when Peters does publicly, and it's foolish to think that he hasn't said anything at all in private, the team will respond. That's a poor assumption.

You can make the same argument you made for Peters to closeout your post for Butler or Schobel. So why doesn't that apply to them? At least be consistent in your positions.

The Bills also gave Peters an extension BEFORE he became one of the top performing LTs in the league or even took a snap at LT. Does that factor in somehow?

Better:

Walter Jones - Seahawks

Orlando Pace - Rams

Flozell Adams - Cowboys

Joe Thomas - Browns

Chris Samuels - Redskins

Matt Light - Patriots

As good:

Tony Ugoh - Colts

Jammal Brown - Saints

Walter Jones is very equal to Peters in my mind, but not neccessarily better.

Walter Jones is very equal to Peters in my mind, but not neccessarily better.

Jones is well into his 30s. He probably only has a season or two left. Peters will only improve and is just at the forefront of his prime.

(Generic Note: sorry about the negativity on Peters)

Better:

Walter Jones - Seahawks:

Orlando Pace - Rams

Flozell Adams - Cowboys

Joe Thomas - Browns

Chris Samuels - Redskins

Matt Light - Patriots

As good:

Tony Ugoh - Colts

Jammal Brown - Saints

Walter Jones isn't quite as good without Hutchinson. He also doesn't have to make up for Fowler and Walker. Orlando Pace is still good, but isn't the same after the injury. Flozell Adams? Are you kidding? Chris Samuels- very good LT. Matt Light- disqualified. The Patriots cheat

Tony Ugoh- he is part of there success, they are part of his. They actually ae an NFL franchise, we aren't. Jamaal Brown- no. Marcus McNeil- no. D'Brickasaw Ferguson :thumbsup:

Better:

Walter Jones - Seahawks

Orlando Pace - Rams

Flozell Adams - Cowboys

Joe Thomas - Browns

Chris Samuels - Redskins

Matt Light - Patriots

As good:

Tony Ugoh - Colts

Jammal Brown - Saints

Walter Jones is coming off shoulder surgery, missed last season, and is 34 years old.

Orlando Pace tore his triceps, ending his 2006 season, then tore his labrum and rotator cuff and missed all of last season. He will be 33 years old and hasn't played a full season in almost 3 years.

Adams is 32 years old.

Joe Thomas has only played one year in the league.

Peters is certainly better than all of those guys, as well as Matt Light, and is just as good, if not better, certainly younger, than Chris Samuels.

Tony Ugoh? Are you serious? I'm going to pretend like him and Ferguson were not put on that list. Ferguson has done nothing but struggled in New York. He is not even among the top 15 tackles in this league. Ugoh is not even top 20.

Jamaal Brown is so good that the Saints were dangling him in trade talks this offseason. Everyone knows you don't get rid of good left tackles, especially young ones. That should speak volumes about what the Saints think of him.

Jason Peters is the best left tackle in this league, and if you don't think so (skill wise), you have to at least admit he's the best YOUNG LT in this league. I would take no one over him.